What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Feb 5, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #9,907 of 14,564
Feb 6, 2019 at 12:47 AM Post #9,908 of 14,564
3534ec610cdd08ac9e67f1fa8f82d8c1.jpg

Feb 6, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #9,909 of 14,564
Jason’s latest blog post on the first artlcle build of the new Schiit Sol turntable suggest comments be directed here.

From my past experience in designing and verifying precision ground cylindrical parts used in mechanisms, the process used to manufacture them has a few twists when the QC comes.

Specifically, if the parts are produced using precision centerless grinding, finished parts are left with an odd number of lobes, resulting from the odd number of rollers restraining the shaft during the grinding process. A conceptually worst case one would have a 3 lobed Reuleaux triangle shape (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reuleaux_triangle). By simply measuring using a 2 point check with calipers (across the high points), the resulting measurement will be of the large radius, and not of a cylindrical diametral envelope. In fact, the lobes measured with calipers within “spec” will violate the desired 3D geometric design envelope of a true shaft. The intended running allowance (Fit) between the shaft and bushing will be compromised. Properly addressing and verifying these Fits are maintained between moving parts, has a large effect on a mechanism’s function.

The above example is not as extreme in actual practice with more than 3 lobes are involved, but helps make visual the unseen inspection errors encountered.

Best way to inspect the parts, is to first use a GO Ring Gage the length of the shaft’s size maximum material condition (see Taylor Principle/Rule #1 -ASME Y14.5 Dimensioning Standard https://www.engineersedge.com/Edge_disc3/0000007a.htm) to pass the shaft though to first qualify that the part does not violate the specified 3D envelope, then use calipers to quantify that the size is within spec.

https://pmpaspeakingofprecision.com...-triangle-effect-pseudo-roundness-and-lobing/

Good luck! Really looking at how this turns out.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2019 at 3:31 PM Post #9,910 of 14,564
Mike, a few questions:
1.)Do you have any lingering concerns about the Hurst compared the the one you were gonna use (but can't get anymore since they don't make them)?
2.)Does the new Hurst motor look similar to the one from the Darko video a couple years ago?
3.)Any plans on an other option for a phono pre-amp (perhaps a tube model) to coincide with the Sol? Would love to see a tube phono preamp

Feb 6, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #9,911 of 14,564
Feb 7, 2019 at 1:28 AM Post #9,912 of 14,564
Heads up for those in the SF Bay Area.

San Francisco Symphony and Chorus will be performing Carmina Burana at Davies Hall on Tuesday, June 4th (one performance only). Originally, this was scheduled on a different date as a concert for the SFS Chorus (without orchestra). I guess they managed to pull together an event with the full orchestra.
https://www.sfsymphony.org/Buy-Tickets/2018-19/San-Francisco-Symphony-Chorus-Carmina-Burana.aspx

Tuesday may be inconvenient for many people, but I guarantee it will be worth it. You'll discover how deficient your audio system is :o2smile:. I've mentioned before that I recommend the 2nd tier for the best sound at Davies Hall.

Feb 7, 2019 at 9:08 AM Post #9,913 of 14,564
Mike, a few questions:
1.)Do you have any lingering concerns about the Hurst compared the the one you were gonna use (but can't get anymore since they don't make them)?
2.)Does the new Hurst motor look similar to the one from the Darko video a couple years ago?
3.)Any plans on an other option for a phono pre-amp (perhaps a tube model) to coincide with the Sol? Would love to see a tube phono preamp

@Baldr ...sir, I noticed this question on Mr. Stoddard’s thread. I’m a digital guy; however, I’m trying to educate my (49 year old) brain. Looking forward to your next chapter/musings... :ksc75smile:

Feb 8, 2019 at 1:36 AM Post #9,914 of 14,564
Beethoven's violin concerto arranged for the piano is some weird schiit. It's one of those things I know is a thing, but I tend to forget...I vastly prefer it for the native violin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back