What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Jan 14, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #9,782 of 14,566
What's with the Davies audience? I noticed the same last time I was there, fairly young and very fidgety, as if they had been forced against their will to go to the symphony...
It's our bad habits (my DOB, 1970). I'm used to whispering to my spouse during performances... so I have to ZIP it. The smart phones are addictive... I turn mine OFF. Theatre and the TSO (Toronto Symphony Orchestra) easily cost me $100-200/seat. Fidgety... those would be my legs falling asleep and my lower back pain. The good news is I'm old enough & lucky enough to enjoy social LIBATIONS and edible-HERBS.... and become a happy mushroom enjoying the music. :ksc75smile:

Jan 15, 2019 at 12:52 AM Post #9,783 of 14,566
Have I reviewed HE-6? If I have, I intend to delete my thoughts and reproduce them again. They have a remarkable bottom.The highs are less emphasized than I might like, but the sound signature is coherent and intense.

Just discovered this, and loving it:

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #9,784 of 14,566
Jan 15, 2019 at 8:33 PM Post #9,785 of 14,566
I don't usually double post - but this is breaking news. And relevant to the Böhm Ring, the 3rd best after 1953 Furtwängler and 1950 Furtwängler.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/15/obituaries/theo-adam-dead.html

That picture is quite surprising. I could not tell if it were a woodcut or not at first :wink:

Also, this amazing article about Severance Hall: https://www.latimes.com/travel/la-tr-sites-sounds-severance-cleveland-20181125-htmlstory.html
I don't think I've been there since the 2nd grade (maybe 5th?) but I still remember the vertigo from being in that second balcony.

Jan 16, 2019 at 8:07 AM Post #9,786 of 14,566
That picture is quite surprising. I could not tell if it were a woodcut or not at first :wink:

Also, this amazing article about Severance Hall: https://www.latimes.com/travel/la-tr-sites-sounds-severance-cleveland-20181125-htmlstory.html
I don't think I've been there since the 2nd grade (maybe 5th?) but I still remember the vertigo from being in that second balcony.

The top of the old Academy of Music in Phila (3rd balcony? The amphitheater I think it was called) took some getting use to and I was in my 20's at the time. As my career advanced I was able to migrate, in stages, down to a front row, center balcony box. When the Kimmel opened prices climbed and now I buy individual tickets instead of season tickets.

Jan 18, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #9,787 of 14,566

The better I get to know the Ring, the more contempt I have for these "best of" compilations. Wagner bristled at his work being excepted in recitals and so on, but I find that the slicing and dicing of the bits (and the removal of voices) and subsequent stitching of pieces together is the far greater violence. Hearing the 20 minute Immolation Scene out of context removes some of its power (though if you know the work well, the entirety of the cycle is present for you always), but hearing three minutes of entry of the gods here leading into two minutes of the spring song there abutting Wotan's wrath succeeded by the magic fire music evaporating into forest murmurs does more than remove context — it establishes wrong context. If Wagner's music is about dramatic meaning and not just pretty sounds, stage action (imagined in one's mind heard on record) can't be doled out randomly.

Music is *not* language, and musical content can't be summarized except in the gross cataloguing of motives. Even though this piece is far cleaner than the version I heard in Amsterdam with Daniele Gatti (which had odd skips and jumps that didn't even sound right), it makes me uneasy. I feel, on a dramatic level, jerked around.

Jan 18, 2019 at 7:55 PM Post #9,789 of 14,566
Yeah. Some kind of a foreign language, to me.
Perhaps @Baldr who understands the language can help us understand - ?
For me, I like vocals. The band leader tells me the story :)

Jan 18, 2019 at 8:46 PM Post #9,790 of 14,566
The better I get to know the Ring, the more contempt I have for these "best of" compilations...
And yet, you post this youtube vid:thinking:

It would appear the vast majority of the people who have seen and rated this video liked it (2.5k to 81).
I enjoy watching musicians at work and getting some idea of how the sounds are produced.
It is far too difficult for me to get to live concerts and I still wouldn't get this close up view (hopefully I would get a better audio, certainly different audio).

I have never liked opera, so have never given it a real try, but your obvious love of the art and for Wagner in particular did inspire me to buy a Ring Cycle.
(haven't listened to it yet :astonished: it's on blu-ray so that means HT set up or ripping :weary:)

Some people who are not the "cognoscenti" possibly might enjoy the "Reader's Digest" version and then might sometimes go on to try the real deal (?).

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2019 at 11:48 PM Post #9,795 of 14,566

Users who are viewing this thread

Back