What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Jan 8, 2019 at 5:48 PM Post #9,766 of 14,566
If the only risk is zapping myself...I`d give it a go :)
Bricking it would be worse. I`d be schiitting bricks if you could brick it and not try again.
Do they have something like a rj32 port on the inside?
There is on some of their boards, not sure about Yggdrasil.

Jan 9, 2019 at 8:44 AM Post #9,767 of 14,566
The only problems I see on allowing users to flash firmware on a board is 1) users having the proper equipment to connect to the board, and 2) dealing with exposed line voltages, setting up a potential safety issue. If I ran Schiit I'd want to redesign the gear so it could be flashed while assembled (or with the devices powered off) before I allowed that home user capability.

This could potentially be made easier with some of the pending new USB interfaces they're developing. It's a common trick with many micro-controllers to be able to re-flash their firmware through the USB interface using a small downloadable software tool on a PC host. Often there is a jumper that needs to be moved before booting the board into this mode, or a vulcan-nerve-pinch style button press combination, and then the upgrade can proceed with the case closed and no dangerous voltages exposed to the user.

I have no idea if this is planned for the future release, but the capability could be there. But this would also involve Schiit providing software and firmware for the upgrade, and allowing user upgrades to firmware, and these are both items they've publicly expressed no desire to support in the past.

Jan 9, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #9,768 of 14,566
The only problems I see on allowing users to flash firmware on a board is 1) users having the proper equipment to connect to the board, and 2) dealing with exposed line voltages, setting up a potential safety issue. If I ran Schiit I'd want to redesign the gear so it could be flashed while assembled (or with the devices powered off) before I allowed that home user capability.
Fitting connectors for transfusion of the firmware and an aluminium buttplug with a ground cord can be added to the package for a few dollars.
I too would do the upgrade myself for it will be the only way. Monetary wise and availability wise here in The Netherlands.

Jan 9, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #9,769 of 14,566
This could potentially be made easier with some of the pending new USB interfaces they're developing. It's a common trick with many micro-controllers to be able to re-flash their firmware through the USB interface using a small downloadable software tool on a PC host. Often there is a jumper that needs to be moved before booting the board into this mode, or a vulcan-nerve-pinch style button press combination, and then the upgrade can proceed with the case closed and no dangerous voltages exposed to the user.

I have no idea if this is planned for the future release, but the capability could be there. But this would also involve Schiit providing software and firmware for the upgrade, and allowing user upgrades to firmware, and these are both items they've publicly expressed no desire to support in the past.

+1. Though our friends in EU would benefit from the ability to perform user installed firmware upgrades, I don't see Schiit going down that road either. It would potentially result in too many bricked units having to be sent back for repair. I am just happy my Yggy is modular so I can send back to Schiit for upgraded boards when they become available.

Jan 9, 2019 at 7:58 PM Post #9,770 of 14,566
This entire hobby begins and ends with this. It's amazingly easy to lose sight of this too. Now if only it were easier/cheaper/less frustrating to reach this state (emotional involvement) and stay there.......

We're lucky people like you are moving the needle on the subject at least.

If the Music is not engaging, I will be looking for something else to listen to. I just loaded up the Pink Floyd 2011 remaster of Obscured by Clouds, and The combination of Mimby-Vali 2 w/6SN7 into ATH-AD500x Air HPs makes me anticipate the next cut, rather than enduring the rest of the song. Don't know what "Ass" sounds like, this is being fed from a Raspi/DigiPlus SPDIF transport and it is delicious...Whatever Baldr sez is not as important as what I am hearing from the Modi MB and this Tube Hybrid amp. I can hardly wait until a New Valhalla 2 is delivered, sometime in Q2-2019, I already have two 1952 FOTON 6H8C and adapters ready to roll. I found the stock tube (an unmarked 6N1P judging from the similar internal structures to a Sovtek) was better than I expected, but it seemed to pick-up the wireless telemetry of my heart pacemaker, so I had a backbeat of 70bpm underlying everything I listened to. Worked well for Thomas Dolby, but Binaural Chesky, not so much.

Jan 10, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #9,771 of 14,566
I still remember me flashing my wife's early, BIOS/CMOS-encrypted, IBM Thinkpad... and it failed. Bricked! IBM said I'd have to replace the entire motherboard. Sheesh.

Jan 10, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #9,772 of 14,566
I still remember me flashing my wife's early, BIOS/CMOS-encrypted, IBM Thinkpad... and it failed. Bricked! IBM said I'd have to replace the entire motherboard. Sheesh.
Thus the "no user serviceable parts inside" sticker. :)

Jan 10, 2019 at 2:34 PM Post #9,775 of 14,566
Jan 10, 2019 at 6:27 PM Post #9,776 of 14,566
Jan 11, 2019 at 6:03 AM Post #9,777 of 14,566
Shoulda called the hazmat crew.....

tenor.gif

Jan 13, 2019 at 9:02 PM Post #9,778 of 14,566
Bruckner 5 was great, despite the many plebeians texting and or whispering to their girlfriends throughout. I think they saw “Mozart clarinet concerto” and missed “80 minutes of late romantic ponderous german sonic impact”

Ugh.

Loved Jaap van zweden. Bald, but more restrained than when I saw him in Chicago conducting Beethoven’s seventh Symphony.

Jan 13, 2019 at 9:52 PM Post #9,779 of 14,566
despite the many plebeians texting and or whispering to their girlfriends throughout.
What's with the Davies audience? I noticed the same last time I was there, fairly young and very fidgety, as if they had been forced against their will to go to the symphony...

Jan 14, 2019 at 6:58 AM Post #9,780 of 14,566
Different generation of listeners, may engage in joyless (for them) activities just so they can say they did, for whatever reason, same here in Philly. Music should be an escape not a time killer. On the flip side; had some elderly folks at a Kimmel concert I attended last year didn't know how to turn off / silence their cell phones. Conductor had to stop twice a dozen bars or so into the symphony to allow the geezers to figure it out. On the humorous but annoying side, attended a Friday afternoon concert od Stravinsky's "Rite" years ago (prolly in my late 40's/early 50's at the time) with Muti on the podium. I was sitting in the center of the Parquet, when the big, dynamic ffff's came along it would set off some sort of overload "beeps" in a lot of the seniors hearing aids of the time, or maybe it was a dead battery alert signals.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back