What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Jul 2, 2018 at 5:25 AM Post #8,596 of 14,565
I think the Encore is still the best grinder choice.

With Hawaii, it's going to be expensive, as there's not a lot of land, and the labor costs are much higher than in Latin America or Africa. Still worth doing, though.

Jul 2, 2018 at 8:06 AM Post #8,597 of 14,565
Yeah, nice. But, I find this a very short and brief write-up on (what also Steve calls) a top of the bill DAC. Nice conclusion, but the way it's done makes it pretty meaningless to me. If you want to review really good gear: do it right or don't do it at all.

Yeah, it's very superficial, but it is CNET.

Jul 2, 2018 at 8:47 AM Post #8,598 of 14,565
I knew about guttenberg before I found out about Schiit, he might even be the avenue with which I found them. From what I can tell his reviews are all positive. CNET is a popular site, I've used their reviews for most major electronic purchases in the last 10 years. I'm sure Schiit likes the exposure. Helps brings folks like me into the fold. (Massdrop helped there too, Hd6xx)

I like Steve, his review of the LS50 and Outlaw 2160 really fired me up to get back to Audio hardcore.

It's been such a fun discovery process since then, the direct comparison of Yggy to the horrible D/S dac in the 2160 was a revelation.
I was experiencing massive listener fatigue, I didn't even like the LCD X I had just got that much.

Glad I followed the advice of many a Schiithead around here, this has really changed my musical life.
I know it sounds like hyperbole but I'm hearing the music for the first time again!

Jul 2, 2018 at 8:56 AM Post #8,599 of 14,565
Does this say it is difficult/impossible to build a proper discrete DAC? No, it is more like making sure all of your 20 bit DACs in production are just that; in Singapore, Alaska in winter, or Key West. There could be nothing worse than making production quantity 20 bit DACs until you realize some are 12,15, or 21. It is more like building a highly tolerance precise, labor intensive, parts matching, temperature controlled DAC which would be difficult to exactly duplicate, sample to sample. Am I ever going to build it? Who knows? I have thought about it since the 1980s. If I were to do so, I would not use either one’s (sign magnitude) or two’s compliment. I would use an old coding designed to be used on polar co-ordinates which I feel would be the absolute best to decode music. I would put it in a temperature controlled oven and agonize over how to solve the switch variation problem. It is a bucket list item for me. I know I could make two the same. But two thousand? Probably not. Maybe I could learn.

Sounds expensive. What's the chances, realistically, with ongoing product plans?

Jul 2, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #8,601 of 14,565
The yggy review was minimally acceptable; I found its brevity rather lazy.
Yes he is not paid per word.
Better ask an opinion to somebody who is not paid for that opinion, or at least a reviewer that is trying to decouple ads with content

Jul 2, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #8,603 of 14,565
Why would WE here on this Schiit-thread care for any review of the Yggdrasil at all?
We know it better than any reviewer does.

Good point, but sometimes it's just interesting to see what the "pro" reviewers have to say about a product they interact with on an extremely limited basis compared to those of us who live with it day after day. That being said, our member impressions are more often my go-to source for the good, the bad, and the ugly, the likes and dislikes, and the different takes and tastes on product.

Jul 2, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #8,604 of 14,565
Why would WE here on this Schiit-thread care for any review of the Yggdrasil at all?
I care to the extent that it gets the brand out there among the vast unwashed CNET readers who may not know about Schiit. The more publicity the better.

Jul 2, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #8,605 of 14,565
9CAA5B9B-28BE-4CC1-A37B-5C5D88633C97.jpeg

Nothing like a tree for the pastoral symphony.

Great views at the staatsoper
7C3F07B0-B77B-47E6-BDEE-3C4E8CC967D1.jpeg

67BF80A5-E1FB-435F-B945-A15C9B13AC27.jpeg

F7DC2B0D-0221-464E-93C3-E9ADE9069DDC.jpeg

The best platz

A52728B8-2656-4780-B302-FCE182A55CC4.jpeg

Zola is the best pizza in Berlin

96E5C3EB-1E96-4E13-9D1D-2B037B35B165.jpeg

Schloss Charlottenburg over the water

Jul 2, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #8,606 of 14,565
I think the Encore is still the best grinder choice.

Hmmmm. A bit more than I would like to spend, but …

Now at the top of my list. After the July 4 holiday, I'll pull the trigger and report back. :wink:

Jul 2, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #8,607 of 14,565
The yggy review was minimally acceptable; I found its brevity rather lazy.
The brevity is not lazy, but deliberate and appropriate for the wider CNET readership. To get an idea of the audience, look through the comments section of his articles, which often make fun of audiophiles and will deride him for recommending a $300 headphone. His place in audio is like what Walt Mossberg (now retired) was for personal computing, reaching out to people who look for advice on what to get and be done with it, and not interested in turning it into their hobby.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2018 at 11:45 PM Post #8,609 of 14,565

At least it would be Schiit-related content.....

Jul 3, 2018 at 7:27 AM Post #8,610 of 14,565
Speak for yourself. I find that a bit of an arrogant position. You might know the Yggdrasil very well but perhaps you don't know context within other DACs, or within his experience. Another thing I appreciate is that Cnet is positive and not negative, just short. My guess is that most here do appreciate reviews on any product of interest, better too many opinion than none IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back