What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Jul 1, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #8,582 of 14,566
The schiitr would be a great place for prototypes and other incomplete, but interesting, ideas.
They already use it to show prototypes such as Sol and Gadget. I can see why they (or any company) might not want to show something they haven't discussed publicly.

Jul 1, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #8,583 of 14,566
They already use it to show prototypes such as Sol and Gadget. I can see why they (or any company) might not want to show something they haven't discussed publicly.
Sol?

Mike

EDIT:
Sol = Turntable
Gadget = https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-gadget-a-magic-box.863285/
"It is based on an assumption that A = 432 Hz (and C = 256 Hz with Pythagorean Temperament) sounds more natural than the standard A = 440 Hz pitch used by most orchestras (some US and European orchestras tune A up to 444 Hz), but there is really no evidence for that. A gadget that allows to change pitch is interesting but some performers already tune for different pitches (e.g. baroque and early music performers tune for A = 415 Hz) and it is almost impossible to know what was the concert pitch at the time and in the town the music was composed. Just something to play with."

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/wha...n-robert-hunter.784471/page-516#post-14230379

??? = CD transport
??? = digital pre-amp or "...expanded, upgradable Eitr."

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2018 at 7:56 PM Post #8,585 of 14,566
Maybe I could learn.

Thank you for the explanation. I learned a lot.

Also if I may... you strike me as a person that has probably heard darn near every album, but I'll go out on a limb and recommend:

Billie Joe + Norah - Forevery
- Listen to it when - You want to get lost in lyrics. Simplicity and subtlety are where it's at.
- Why I love it - I love the Everly Brothers. I love Green Day, and I adore Norah Jones... What's old is new again is a trend, but seeing young artists that have "made it" pay tribute to their inspirations vs. just re-recording old music for new money brings me happiness. The intimacy conveyed through the production. I'd never heard of Charlie Burnham before, and he plays a mean harp.
- Standout tracks - I'm Here to Get My Baby Out of Jail (get your tissues); Who's Gonna Shoe Your Pretty Little Feet; Roving Gambler

If it's one you haven't heard, then mission accomplished. If it's one you already enjoy then all the better too.

- Cheers

Jul 1, 2018 at 10:27 PM Post #8,587 of 14,566

Grinder:

• Cuisinart Supreme Grind Automatic Burr Mill ($51)
Hopefully you're not yanking our chains with this. But I have/had this grinder. Does a good job and is very durable. Just got a second one after the first started getting a bit flaky after 10y.

In other news, I'm contemplating an Hawaiian coffee vacation. Is that even possible?

Jul 1, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #8,588 of 14,566
I would use an old coding designed to be used on polar co-ordinates which I feel would be the absolute best to decode music. I would put it in a temperature controlled oven and agonize over how to solve the switch variation problem. It is a bucket list item for me. I know I could make two the same.
Let the bidding commence for one of Baldr's 2 BucketList DACs! Do I hear $100k? :wink:

Jul 1, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #8,589 of 14,566
My coffee contributions.

I mostly drink drip coffee with a Cuisinart brewer. Keeps the wife happy. On occasion I'll take the French Press when it's just me. Very occasionally, espresso. Thanks, @KoshNaranek for the water temp tip! Need another brita just for coffee water. I grind my beans and I'm always looking for a good medium roast. Starbucks/west coast style is an abomination!

BTW, in Puerto Rico people grow their own coffee and then brew them through "socks." Takes some getting used to, drinking coffee that's been passed through what looks like dirty socks (really dirty socks!).

Has @Baldr ever commented on coffee?

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2018 at 10:54 PM Post #8,590 of 14,566
^^^

Seems like a Schiit coffee maker would outsell all their other products.
:wink:

Mike

Jul 1, 2018 at 10:56 PM Post #8,591 of 14,566
Hopefully you're not yanking our chains with this. But I have/had this grinder. Does a good job and is very durable. Just got a second one after the first started getting a bit flaky after 10y.

In other news, I'm contemplating an Hawaiian coffee vacation. Is that even possible?

Nope. Not yanking chains. I'm very serious, but I have not pulled the trigger yet, as I'm still sorting through the great suggestions. I think I've made my decision on everything except the grinder. Debating moving up, going a hand grinder, or just sitting pat on the Cuisinart. I never thought it would be this difficult!! :D

Jul 2, 2018 at 12:28 AM Post #8,592 of 14,566
Steve Guttenberg reviews the Yggy.

Yeah, nice. But, I find this a very short and brief write-up on (what also Steve calls) a top of the bill DAC. Nice conclusion, but the way it's done makes it pretty meaningless to me. If you want to review really good gear: do it right or don't do it at all.

Jul 2, 2018 at 1:10 AM Post #8,593 of 14,566
So this post is about a two subsets of multibit D/A converters. The first would be those (like Schiit) who utilize integrated circuit DAC chips, and the second would be discrete DACs made from discrete resistors, switches, and logic audio data interfaces. All too frequently in audio circles there are polarizing opinions stated (electrostatic headphones suck, solid state amps sound like ass, etc, etc) which represent single viewpoints over complex subjects. The fact is that there is no overreaching engineering argument in favor of either which multibit DAC type one uses. He who implements his preferred solution best wins. Notice I restrict this choice to multibit designs which I prefer for their sound. My position of delta sigma has not changed; they are inexpensive and preferable and competitive for lower cost designs. If one’s goal is to reproduce music in a manner where realism can thrill the listener, well, hey, multibit is the only choice - hands down.

I begin by mentioning that this is not intended to be a grad school discussion of digital signal processing applied math. I seek more to make this essentially accurate to the point that no one will fall asleep. On the topic of math let me get that over with first, so here we go: Digital audio is a series of regular interval (sample rate – like 44.1K samples per second) numerical representation of audio information. A snapsot, if you will. Now acoustical information tends to be positive and negative in nature. Meaning it deviates from a center. This center tends to be important because the music spends much of its time traveling through zero, either from positive to negative, or the other way around. These are referred to as zero crossings. Since music at its lowest level is closest to the zero, a small error here can have an ever larger bad impact on reproduced music as it reduces in volume. That said, there are several ways to format the numbers used in D/A converters. The most popular is two’s compliment which is almost universally used in digital audio. Two’s compliment has a number which represents all the minus and all the plus, and zero. The ubiquity of two’s compliment is because through zero (audio silence) it climbs from -2 to -1 to zero to +1 to +2, with the point being that there is only one value for zero (and vice versa). Now this is as expected that counting naturally should be. The disadvantage of two’s compliment is that the numbers for +1 and -1 are distant numerically, making the DAC chip naturally wanting to glitch as it crosses zero, which it does a lot. That was the biggest design problem (solved) with the Yggy and it was a head-scratcher.

With one’s compliment aka sign magnitude (the audio minority) you take one bit of your 16 or 24 and call it a sign bit setting it one way for plus and the other for minus. This means that if you count as above, you get -2, -1, - zero, + zero, +1, +2. This counter-intuitive; sorta unnatural like trying to cohabit in happy harmony with chickens. The workaround is you have to do math on every sample to add or subtract one to each minus or plus sample. The other problem is that you need a bit to set the plus or minus sign; your 16 bit DAC just became a 15 bit; or your 20 bit a 19 bit. Now those who implement sign magnitude design DACs are generally mathematically sophisticated so they can do the math (which does have quite a bit of overhead). Quite essential, though, to get the chicken schiit out of the house in the happy harmony above. Now, in all fairness, sign-magnitude adherents can laugh at all of us two’s compliment for all of our effort to get rid of zero crossing problems.

Now I shall address the discrete vs. monolithic (integrated circuit) DAC. Why do I use monolithics? Quite simple; it is because I can provide a much higher value scalable multibit solution than I can with discrete DACs. Now DACs have two critical sections – the digital section which routes the proper bits to the proper switches – the switches which switch the appropriate resistor in the network. There is also an electronic section which interfaces the switched resistor to the outside world which has little effect on the accuracy of the DAC if properly designed for the network. The tolerance of the resistor and its value shift with temperature are critical to the parts per million in a 20 bit system. Here are some advantages of monolithic DACs. The ladder/R2R resistors are properly designed/trimmed for their bit width, providing greater accuracy than some random purchase of resistors and switches in discrete DACs. Only in a monolith are all resistors are on the same die so their temperature variations track, resistor to resistor. This all contributes to the value metric favoring monolithic DACs mentioned above.

Does this say it is difficult/impossible to build a proper discrete DAC? No, it is more like making sure all of your 20 bit DACs in production are just that; in Singapore, Alaska in winter, or Key West. There could be nothing worse than making production quantity 20 bit DACs until you realize some are 12,15, or 21. It is more like building a highly tolerance precise, labor intensive, parts matching, temperature controlled DAC which would be difficult to exactly duplicate, sample to sample. Am I ever going to build it? Who knows? I have thought about it since the 1980s. If I were to do so, I would not use either one’s (sign magnitude) or two’s compliment. I would use an old coding designed to be used on polar co-ordinates which I feel would be the absolute best to decode music. I would put it in a temperature controlled oven and agonize over how to solve the switch variation problem. It is a bucket list item for me. I know I could make two the same. But two thousand? Probably not. Maybe I could learn.

I've read this post 4 times, and will read it again tomorrow. Thanks for sharing some of your knowledge.

Yeah, nice. But, I find this a very short and brief write-up on (what also Steve calls) a top of the bill DAC. Nice conclusion, but the way it's done makes it pretty meaningless to me. If you want to review really good gear: do it right or don't do it at all.

It's not a great review, but mainstream exposure is good for my favorite audio company.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2018 at 2:29 AM Post #8,594 of 14,566
I knew about guttenberg before I found out about Schiit, he might even be the avenue with which I found them. From what I can tell his reviews are all positive. CNET is a popular site, I've used their reviews for most major electronic purchases in the last 10 years. I'm sure Schiit likes the exposure. Helps brings folks like me into the fold. (Massdrop helped there too, Hd6xx)

Jul 2, 2018 at 3:10 AM Post #8,595 of 14,566
I knew about guttenberg before I found out about Schiit, he might even be the avenue with which I found them. From what I can tell his reviews are all positive. CNET is a popular site, I've used their reviews for most major electronic purchases in the last 10 years. I'm sure Schiit likes the exposure. Helps brings folks like me into the fold. (Massdrop helped there too, Hd6xx)
It's a nice maybe a bit fuzzy and nervous guy. Always touching himself (his mouth) when on video. Bad habit.
His reviews are not all positive. He just focuses on the strong points of a product and he does not review trash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back