What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Jul 3, 2018 at 7:40 AM Post #8,611 of 14,566
Speak for yourself. I find that a bit of an arrogant position. You might know the Yggdrasil very well but perhaps you don't know context within other DACs, or within his experience. Another thing I appreciate is that Cnet is positive and not negative, just short. My guess is that most here do appreciate reviews on any product of interest, better too many opinion than none IMHO.

I think you have to start to understand Pietro's sense of humour yet :wink:

Jul 3, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #8,612 of 14,566
Does this say it is difficult/impossible to build a proper discrete DAC? No, it is more like making sure all of your 20 bit DACs in production are just that; in Singapore, Alaska in winter, or Key West. There could be nothing worse than making production quantity 20 bit DACs until you realize some are 12,15, or 21. It is more like building a highly tolerance precise, labor intensive, parts matching, temperature controlled DAC which would be difficult to exactly duplicate, sample to sample. Am I ever going to build it? Who knows? I have thought about it since the 1980s. If I were to do so, I would not use either one’s (sign magnitude) or two’s compliment. I would use an old coding designed to be used on polar co-ordinates which I feel would be the absolute best to decode music. I would put it in a temperature controlled oven and agonize over how to solve the switch variation problem. It is a bucket list item for me. I know I could make two the same. But two thousand? Probably not. Maybe I could learn.

I vote for a GoFundMe page to build the ultimate DAC for the schiitr - It would be an example of the ultimate - but like the space program, who knows what technology or science would be spun out for future projects!

I would invest in that research, even if it results in a single system that can be measured against. You never know what is possible until it is attempted!
dims

Jul 3, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #8,614 of 14,566
I think you have to start to understand Pietro's sense of humour yet :wink:
Its somewhat more esoteric.
There comes a moment in life, one realizes that even after debauchery, drunken stupors, gluttonous diners, over medication, under medication, vitamine shortages etc the faeces one produced still smelled just like that.
All propositions mentioned above and even a reasonable normal life and getting older, brings one to the point where, after sniffing your own dump, the question rises: "What is this Schitt"?
There the blinders fall off into a self produced toxic stinking pile and you think: "Nothing compares to good Schiit".

Jul 3, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #8,615 of 14,566
Its somewhat more esoteric.
There comes a moment in life, one realizes that even after debauchery, drunken stupors, gluttonous diners, over medication, under medication, vitamine shortages etc the faeces one produced still smelled just like that.
All propositions mentioned above and even a reasonable normal life and getting older, brings one to the point where, after sniffing your own dump, the question rises: "What is this Schitt"?
There the blinders fall off into a self produced toxic stinking pile and you think: "Nothing compares to good Schiit".
At our age, keep two things in ind: Never waste a hard on, and never trust a fart.

Jul 3, 2018 at 7:22 PM Post #8,616 of 14,566
Jul 4, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #8,617 of 14,566
I've said it before, but I'd be most interested in a multibit Jil—the ones Jason intimated that Mike had made for studios of yore for the price of a car. I have no need of a Jil for myself, but if Schiit wanted to get into a service of digitizing records at a very high fidelity, I would be interested (not least because of my recently acquired 1943 Lorenz Tannhauser—which I hope to hear at the Schiitr when I stop by LA later this month. (Yes, I have arrived safely in London.) There is no official transfer of that Tannhauser that I know of — just the youtube videos that sound like schiit. Services are surely a different business model from devices, but ADC needs are quite different from DAC needs—and there are many record collections awaiting transfer. If Mike's tech could help, it seems to me that those enthusiasts sufficiently interested in their vinyl as to want to convert them to digital for safekeeping would love to have the highest-quality conversion possible.

I'm enjoying London. I just saw 4'33" for the first time. I'm going to St John's Smith Square for their independence day extravaganza celebrating american composers—the last installment of which is in 17 minutes! Looking forward to Bach's Clavier Ubung III tomorrow, and perhaps some Russians on the weekend. Don Giovanni on Monday!

Also seeing Hamlet, As You Like It, and Winter's Tale at the Globe.

St. John’s organ
EEBE3D0A-FAF5-456E-8CF9-384049FC9DF2.jpeg
65A8153E-9BB5-4B67-91F8-DEA07B3C6D50.jpeg

Iris & June have a mediocre espresso. Go to Taylor st baristas.

DF03A2CD-1E8E-4936-A779-D12487F68473.jpeg

Walking through Westminster

8F64D062-4D0E-43BA-86A6-E11D9B4684EA.jpeg

St. John’s square

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #8,618 of 14,566
Jul 4, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #8,619 of 14,566
I'd buy a Multibit Jil adc in a heartbeat.

Jul 4, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #8,620 of 14,566
Jul 4, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #8,622 of 14,566
Jul 5, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #8,623 of 14,566
At our age, keep two things in ind: Never waste a hard on, and never trust a fart.
I’m 37 and feel this partially applies all of the time and fully applies after eating Mexican.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2018 at 10:05 PM Post #8,625 of 14,566
^^^ Well, this is a Schiit thread, after-all... :smirk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back