What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Jun 10, 2018 at 11:35 PM Post #8,281 of 14,566
Jun 10, 2018 at 11:37 PM Post #8,282 of 14,566
I forget this is a headphone-centric forum, so yes, it would be the Beats of the coffee world.

Now you're just being mean. :unamused:

Besides -- everyone knows Keurig is the Schiit Audio of the coffee world. They are disrupters and set the home coffee brewer market on its heels by providing innovative and value priced hot beverage single serve and carafe brewing systems. They aren't trying to get everyone to LIKE their Schiitty coffee -- their goal is to have a number of passionate people (that number being somewhere between everyone and no one) LOVE their Schiitty brew systems and coffee.

<queue the Star Spangled Banner.>

I for one embrace and LOVE Keurig's Schiitty brew system and coffee!! It's thinking outside the box and Schiitty innovation that will make America Great Again! (If it ever actually stopped being great.)

Note: Keurig is the company Jason and Mike would have started if they drank coffee instead of Redbull with a Whisky/Whiskey chaser in the mornings. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2018 at 11:45 PM Post #8,283 of 14,566
All those features, but it isn't WiFi connected or have a color display? But seriously, it goes on and on about trivial features that have nothing to do with improving the quality of the grind. In audio, it would be like improving the speed and accuracy of the power meters.

I have a Breville coffee grinder and I think it's a waste of money. The main feature I'd like to see is memory presets for coffee brand/type etc. I grind with the Breville and it'll take me a few days to get just the right setting. If the power goes out, crap, it's gone. If I switch blends or brands, I'm back to square one. Sure I could write it down, but they don't have numbers for anything but the number of cups. I suppose I could have a little notebook with how many dots over on this setting and how many lines over on that setting, but crap, I'm too lazy.

I'd love to find a burr grinder that is good an has programmable presets.

Jun 11, 2018 at 12:10 AM Post #8,284 of 14,566
Last edited:
Jun 11, 2018 at 7:13 AM Post #8,286 of 14,566
Jun 11, 2018 at 7:24 AM Post #8,287 of 14,566
Whew! I was worried it was the Beats of the coffee world and that I'd been duped by clever marketing again.

Nice to know I can run with the 'big dogs' coffee-wise.:wink:

I agree. It is the Beats of the Coffee world.
Bosie is far beyond me when it comes to coffe, but I do recomend this as an excellent balance of cost/convenience/taste

https://www.amazon.com/Frieling-Sta...8716159&sr=8-4&keywords=frieling+french+press

They come in many sizes. I do recommend that you get one larger than you think you need as the grounds do occupy space in the device.

Jun 11, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #8,288 of 14,566
I got my Frieling Ultimo in my third year of college. Great place to start, but I wish i had spent more on a burr grinder earlier. Think of it as your Bean to Grounds Converter (BGC). If the grounds aren't exactly the right coarseness, and aren't all the same coarseness, your shot (or cup) will be over or under extracted. A high quality espresso machine is at least $1300 new, though I got a floor model for $875. I encourage everyone to spend their money on a good burr grinder (like the Sette 270, with or without the W and the I) and just do pour overs with a swan neck kettle, ceramic cone (one small hole), and gram scale.

Gotterdammerung was cool, though the end was a schiit show. I'll post more later.

Jun 11, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #8,289 of 14,566
I feel so coffee inadequate right about now... :frowning2:

Jun 11, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #8,291 of 14,566
I'm sure the price is in Pesos and not USD. Right? :xf_eek:

Sorry folks, but if this is in USD, a nice French Press and mid-range grinder is all that I see in my future. I mean, come on -- how much better can the coffee be than the Starbucks on the corner!! :D

(It's a joke, folks. At least the Starbucks and Pesos part is.)

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #8,292 of 14,566
AeroPress FTW. :smile_phones:
AeroPress and a Clever Dripper are all you need unless you are making more than one cup at a time. Also have a Cafflano Kompact as my wife prefers coffee without a paper filter and I don't like using a metal filter in my AeroPress.

Will be getting a Cafflano Kompresso next time they have them on Massdrop.

Jun 11, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #8,294 of 14,566
Now you're just being mean. :unamused:

Besides -- everyone knows Keurig is the Schiit Audio of the coffee world. They are disrupters and set the home coffee brewer market on its heels by providing innovative and value priced hot beverage single serve and carafe brewing systems. They aren't trying to get everyone to LIKE their Schiitty coffee -- their goal is to have a number of passionate people (that number being somewhere between everyone and no one) LOVE their Schiitty brew systems and coffee.

<queue the Star Spangled Banner.>

I for one embrace and LOVE Keurig's Schiitty brew system and coffee!! It's thinking outside the box and Schiitty innovation that will make America Great Again! (If it ever actually stopped being great.)

Note: Keurig is the company Jason and Mike would have started if they drank coffee instead of Redbull with a Whisky/Whiskey chaser in the mornings. :thumbsup:

Not sure if you are serious or joking here. But I imagine a Keurig is far from anything Schiit would produce if they got interested in coffee. Learn a little about brewing coffee, and you will see that almost every aspect of it is done incorrectly with a Keurig (time, temp, coffee/water ratio, etc.)

Schiit has built its reputation on building excellent performing products at low to moderate prices relative to competitive products. Keurig is to coffee what streaming youtube videos on your phone with the earbuds that came with it.

If Schiit got into coffee makers, I think they would compete with Technivorm in brew quality but for $99, and with a better water dispersion pattern, not make crap coffee in an overpriced product.

Jun 11, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #8,295 of 14,566
Not sure if you are serious or joking here...

I was joking!!!! I don't think there's a legit coffee drinker on the planet that would believe Keurig is a state-of-the-art system rendering precisely made coffee bliss. I thought for sure the tie-in to Schiit, Jason and Mike, along with the national anthem and Make America Great Again would give that away! Oh, well. At least I had a chuckle typing it.

As for caficinados here: I am one, and know a little about making good coffee. I grew up in a Cuban household and there's no way I could not know about coffee and espresso!! There are quite a few far more knowledgeable and dedicated coffee artisans here than I ever imagined and I do appreciate the conversation and education...

... but I just cannot help but try interjecting a little humor when it gets too serious. :D

(I'll try to refrain in the future, but no promises...)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back