What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
May 12, 2018 at 5:44 PM Post #7,816 of 14,566
But what would they call it??
CD trasport could be called Arachne, the mortal weaver, or "spinner" who challenged Athena to a weaving contest and was transformed into a spider, or "spinner".

Just a wild guess.

May 12, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #7,817 of 14,566
ASKR Derived from Old Norse askr "ash tree". In Norse mythology Ask and his wife Embla were the first humans created by the gods.

or better yet;

YMIR: Ymir (pronounced “EE-meer;” Old Norse Ymir, (“Scream”) is a hermaphroditic giant and the first creature to come into being in the Norse creation narrative.

Last edited:
May 12, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #7,818 of 14,566
CD trasport could be called Arachne, the mortal weaver, or "spinner" who challenged Athena to a weaving contest and was transformed into a spider, or "spinner".

Just a wild guess.

Me like-y, can we come up with a Norse equivalent?
The 3 Norns spin. The rope of destiny I think.

EDIT;

SKULD: Means "future" in Old Norse. She was one of the three Norns, or goddesses of destiny, in Norse mythology. She was also one of the Valkyries.

(Boy, you can never find a Norse Mythology scholar when you need one!)

Last edited:
May 12, 2018 at 6:26 PM Post #7,819 of 14,566
I'm hoping for a reference level cd transport. I know Theta used to make them. Not sure if Mike was involved in the creation of those. But I think it's a small niche they could do really well in if they can source some a good mech in decent numbers. I don't think there is even a product in this particular market... maybe Oppo? Call me blinded but I don't trust anything that uses a rebranded DVD drive... if schiit were to somehow position an offering if a new reference level cdt they could potentially offer something unique no one else is: a reference preforming cdt at real world prices. Then I wouldn't have to look from afar at marantz and Yamaha and have something I could actually afford and that is up to my standards (which is above CA, and entry level marantz)

May 12, 2018 at 6:29 PM Post #7,820 of 14,566
My nomination for CD transport name: Mimir (mEE-mir), "The Rememberer. A being providing the divine animating force behind the wisdom of past tradition and its indispensable value as a guide for present actions."

May 12, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #7,821 of 14,566
My nomination for CD transport name: Mimir (mEE-mir), "The Rememberer. A being providing the divine animating force behind the wisdom of past tradition and its indispensable value as a guide for present actions."

Excellent and appropriate.

Edit: I mean think about it. It remembers (recalls) the analog signal (as best it can) and "as a guide for present actions" it feeds that signal in digital form to an in board or out board DAC.

Ok then, that's settled! No laying awake ruminating on a possible name.

Last edited:
May 12, 2018 at 7:01 PM Post #7,822 of 14,566
So my next wet dream is (how do you describe it??) a digital preamp or a “Swiss Army Knife”. This would have every common socket at the input, such as USB, coax, etc. Maybe BitWordData (BWD) to hook up with a transport. It would have at least coax and maybe BWD out as well. It would be mandatory that we have De-Jitter/re-clocking as well. It could also have slots for an optional Gadget and maybe for my other idea music processor as well. More on that in a future post. We already have such a device with a reduced feature set on the market, Eitr. Think of it as an expanded, upgradable Eitr.

So you see the optimal configuration for the Gadget sum Manhattan product as an optional module add-on to an uberEitr DIO rather than to the 'Bragi' CD transport, and keeping the PCM Redbook CD transport as a clean, simple and affordable product of broadbase consumer interest. And the isolated reclocked digital I/O signal uberEitr would have enough stand-alone appeal in most audio setups so that the Gadget can be most easily can be optionally bundled with it for those who are also bent toward investigating pitch musicality.

I wholeheartedly agree that CDs offer the greatest wealth of music recordings for selective listening by far. And now with BWD source/DAC direct connectivity potential, the capability for nondistorted audio signal transmission may be greater than ever. Forever the audiophile purist quest.

Perhaps the biggest detriment to present increased use of CD media is simple lack of exposure to the possibilities and discernable differences. Although convenience seems to be moreso the overriding watchword these days.

I assume that the Yggy will have a BWD input upgrade made available to go with the Bragi BWD output as well as the uberEitr/Gadget throughput. I also assume that the Bragi can be directly connected to the Yggy via BWD without going through the intermediate uE/G with its onboard signal de-jitter/reclocking mechanism. Perhaps BWD protocol can utilize source clocked signal DAC input much like I2S.

What are you planning to use for the BWD commercial cable/connector I/O configuration? I think that HDMI cable interconnects might be too confusing with LVDS I2S signal connections these days. Would there also be a cable length limitation with BWD signal transmission?

Chateau Moffat off the grid... :wink:

Last edited:
May 12, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #7,823 of 14,566
I could actually afford and that is up to my standards (which is above CA, and entry level marantz)

If the CD transport were to see the light of day, I suspect we'll be able to finally have a Champaign transport at a beer transport price. Given Schiit's track record of engineering and delivering exceptional value, it could really disrupt the high-priced and entry-level CD transport space. I too am anxiously waiting and hoping!!

May 12, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #7,826 of 14,566
I think the CD transport should have a built in DAC.

Now before you pull out your pitchforks and crucify me, I think it should be as an optional add on board. I think it'll appeal to a slightly wider audience since not everyone will want to pony up for a DAC and a transport.

In saying that, if having the option with or without the add-on board decreases the quality of sound, then never mind.

May 12, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #7,827 of 14,566
I think the CD transport should have a built in DAC.

Now before you pull out your pitchforks and crucify me, I think it should be as an optional add on board. I think it'll appeal to a slightly wider audience since not everyone will want to pony up for a DAC and a transport.

In saying that, if having the option with or without the add-on board decreases the quality of sound, then never mind.

Then it should be an "Optional" DAC module, no need in charging people for something they aren't going to use if they already have something better etc...

May 12, 2018 at 8:59 PM Post #7,828 of 14,566
Then it should be an "Optional" DAC module, no need in charging people for something they aren't going to use if they already have something better etc...
That's what I meant, if that wasn't clear. You would have a drop down option like the Jotunheim and pick multi-bit or S/D etc. Personally I want a transport only, but I options are nice.

May 12, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #7,830 of 14,566
Gotcha.

I just hope it has balanced out...

Analog? That would be nice if it has a dac option. I'm hoping for AES, Coax etc digital outs.

I'm curious if they're going to do a slot loading drive, tray loader or god forbid top loader :p.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back