What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
May 11, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #7,786 of 14,566
Understand the desire for balanced outs, but here I am not interested in the least for them. Never had any real audible listening improvements with SE vs balanced....don't want to start a conversation over which is better....that's been done ad naseum.

Keep it simple, allow existing Bimbys to get the upgrades as promised.

Alex

May 11, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #7,787 of 14,566
Bifrost is a single-ended upgradeable dac. If Mike can improve the sound, streamline the components, and get the price down to $499 for multibit (or, a coup, $399—killing off the inferior 4490 SKU once and for all) that would do far more for the community than these visions of balanced balanced everywhere, CAB or not.

I'm still scratching my head about why Mike, of separate boxes fame, wants to have a do-all digital pre. I suppose you could combine the CD player, Eitr, and gadget into one, toggling among computer and disc inputs, bypass and tuned, and have coax and AES out. For that matter, you could do bi-directional USB as well, letting you retune your CDs to C=256 before inputing them to your computer, though if you're going that route you might want or need some error correction.

The more functions you throw in, forgive me, the more the product picks up a whiff of Cthulu

Last edited:
May 11, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #7,788 of 14,566
Bifrost is a single-ended upgradeable amp. If Mike can improve the sound, streamline the components, and get the price down to $499 for multibit (or, a coup, $399—killing off the inferior 4490 SKU once and for all) that would do far more for the community than these visions of balanced balanced everywhere, CAB or not.

I'm still scratching my head about why Mike, of separate boxes fame, wants to have a do-all digital pre. I suppose you could combine the CD player, Eitr, and gadget into one, toggling among computer and disc inputs, bypass and tuned, and have coax and AES out. For that matter, you could do bi-directional USB as well, letting you retune your CDs to C=256 before inputing them to your computer, though if you're going that route you might want or need some error correction.

The more functions you throw in, forgive me, the more the product picks up a whiff of Cthulu

I have to agree with that last statement.
Ed

May 11, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #7,791 of 14,566
I'm still scratching my head about why Mike, of separate boxes fame, wants to have a do-all digital pre.
My answer: the main reason I own a (very nice, but very pricey) integrated Hegel amp is that I have multiple digital sources in my living room. The main hi-res source goes to the Yggy and thence to the Hegel, while the others go directly to the Hegel. If I had Mike's hypothetical super-Eitr, all 3 digital sources in the living room would arrive there, thence to Yggy, and the Yggy would feed a leaner analog section. I could even have enough space and lack of box/wire confusion for a tube pre and monoblocks. As it is, the Hegel was the only sensible solution for my setup, after a lot of research and evaluation.

May 11, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #7,792 of 14,566
It's nice to see Mike making a teasing/sharing post ala Jason :)

My thoughts would be...

SOL: I stopped listening vinyls some time ago and I have little desire to come back to it, but since vinyl sounds different (better or worse is up to the listener) I can understand the appeal to get that particular sound. I'm glad Sol is in its final stages cause I know for sure a good amount of folks here are waiting for it, so great news.

CD TRANSPORT: This is a no-no for me. In an era where you can buy a cheap computer CD-transport that allows you to get perfect digital copies as .flac files so you can have literally your entire music collection, fully available after a couple of clicks, well... it just baffles my mind why anyone would want to go back to having to pick up a physical shiny disc, put it in a tray, way for it to load and oh if it's a double CD, 74 minutes later or so I'll have to do the reverse procedure to get the disc 1 out, put it in its case, so I can now insert disc 2 to continue enjoying my fav album. Arggg, this is to me like if for some weird reason some guys begin to advocate to go back to ride horses instead of ultra comfortable cars. No, thank you.

FLOORSWEEP: This sounds awesome, to have a great performer at a smaller size is always good news, I guess as a project it's also a good challenge.

THE GADGET: When it was announced, I was enamored with the concept, but as the time passed, the more I read about it, the less I cared for it. I got caught in the hype I guess (probably it was my own fault) and I really thought this was going to be revolutionary, but looking at the impressions from regular folks who tried it, it seems that "hair raising" effect is shared by just a handful of individuals, and all the rest rate it between "It's a very subtle effect, I think it's sounds better but I need to listen to more albums to be conclusive" to "I don't hear any improvement really, sorry". Also, the way it works -at least the prototype that was presented back in its day- asked the user to play with a knob in order to reach the sweet spot. That is something that just rubs me in the wrong way. Basically, I'm not interested in a device that asks me to be re-adjusting it for every new album, or even worse, for every new track in the very same album. The thing is, maybe I'm way out of the loop in the development process and today the device re-adjust itself automatically? Still... the less than warm reception of the prototype has me in a mood where I don't care anymore if it sees the light or not.

DIGITAL PREAMP: I'm not sure I need one, but at the same time it got my interest really hard. The fact that Mike plans to make it upgradeable via future boards like the very same Gadget, sounds pretty intriguing (for all the future possibilities).

NEW USB BOARD: I'm not sure this will have an impact when it comes to a better sonic performance, but the fact it would allow to have more competitive products (lower prices) is good news for everyone (except your competition tehehe).

Well, just my two cents.

Regards.

May 11, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #7,793 of 14,566
My answer: the main reason I own a (very nice, but very pricey) integrated Hegel amp is that I have multiple digital sources in my living room. The main hi-res source goes to the Yggy and thence to the Hegel, while the others go directly to the Hegel. If I had Mike's hypothetical super-Eitr, all 3 digital sources in the living room would arrive there, thence to Yggy, and the Yggy would feed a leaner analog section. I could even have enough space and lack of box/wire confusion for a tube pre and monoblocks. As it is, the Hegel was the only sensible solution for my setup, after a lot of research and evaluation.

Man, since you are mentioning the Hegel again, I'd like to ask your (I forgot it last time) how would you rate the HEGEL integrated DAC compared to Yggy? You already told me your preference is Yggy, but can you describe Hegel's DAC? Would you say the difference is huge (compared to Yggy) or it's more a thing of personal taste but in the end Hegel DAC is still great?

Thanks a lot in advance :)

May 11, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #7,794 of 14,566
Man, since you are mentioning the Hegel again, I'd like to ask your (I forgot it last time) how would you rate the HEGEL integrated DAC compared to Yggy? You already told me your preference is Yggy, but can you describe Hegel's DAC? Would you say the difference is huge (compared to Yggy) or it's more a thing of personal taste but in the end Hegel DAC is still great?
I'd say the H360 built-in DAC is good, but not up to the level of the Yggy (even A1), or the Holo Spring KTE 3, or the Soekris dac1541 (all resistor array multibit DACs of different designs). I've not listened to the built-in DAC in a long while, but when I did, the differences were quite noticeable. Most immediately, the built-in DAC's highs were overly smooth, lacking in realism. Yggy soundstage was better delineated, and instruments better separated. Yggy bass had more presence, more solidity, better transients (think kick drum or plucking of a double bass string). In general, everything with the built-in DAC is slightly filed off compared with the Yggy. Not bad, by any means, pleasant and not deeply deficient in any aspect, but bland compared with the Yggy.

May 11, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #7,795 of 14,566
I love all the possible products. The CD transport and digital preamp are very intriguing and the ones I will anxiously await to hopefully hear more about in the future. (I must look-up BWD to see how that compares to I2S, if it's anything like it at all.) If the transport comes to fruition, it is definitely in the Cambridge Audio CXC transport price-point and will likely perform way above its price (like all things Schiit)!

But then again, a son-of- Yggy/Gumby is also quite exciting!

And of course anything that can be done to further the development of multi-bit DACs and improve USB has my support, as well.

Hell -- it's ALL good!!!

Last edited:
May 11, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #7,796 of 14,566
There's not much point to a CD transport unless it's using a decent cd mechanism. I think I saw something about Philips starting production of another one of their good mechs. And I am pretty sure I have seen Mike himself extol the virtues of the cd mech being vital to the performance of a transport. Afaik, the Camrbridge Audio CD players as well as even most of the Marantz line use rebranded DVD drives. From what my friends have told me, these types of units are hardly fit to serve as transports, and their quality of dacs in those units is probably not up to the task either.

May 11, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #7,797 of 14,566
I'd say the H360 built-in DAC is good, but not up to the level of the Yggy (even A1), or the Holo Spring KTE 3, or the Soekris dac1541 (all resistor array multibit DACs of different designs). I've not listened to the built-in DAC in a long while, but when I did, the differences were quite noticeable. Most immediately, the built-in DAC's highs were overly smooth, lacking in realism. Yggy soundstage was better delineated, and instruments better separated. Yggy bass had more presence, more solidity, better transients (think kick drum or plucking of a double bass string). In general, everything with the built-in DAC is slightly filed off compared with the Yggy. Not bad, by any means, pleasant and not deeply deficient in any aspect, but bland compared with the Yggy.
Have you considered the possibility that these differences in sound you're describing were more to do with the amp/pre stage in the Hegel vs whatever you were using with those other dacs you've mentioned? Also which Hegel integrated was it you heard?

Last edited:
May 11, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #7,799 of 14,566
BINGO!

Let's get out those crystal balls.

I'm good with single disc play, preferably front loading. I don't know if a changer can be as stable, vibration free, and quiet in operation, none that I've ever experienced anyway. HDCD shouldn't be too much of a problem. Since Schiit are not on board with SACD, MQA, Video formats, etc., I wouldn't expect to see those processes available. Plus all that stuff would entail some space, I don't see a Ragnarok / Yggdrasil sized container for just $300.00 to $500.00.

As for video, while we do need a true successor to Oppo, I'm betting the firmware updates and service requirements after the sale can be a real PITA for manufacturers. Schiit would have to add video knowledgeable staffing. Lastly, think about the reasons Oppo is getting out of the business.

A Schiit CD transport, built the way they do everything else, will be a wonderful thing. Count me in :)

Thanks Mike!!!!

All sounds interesting.

The most interesting to me is the CD transport to play the 1,000+ CD’s I have and provide the best input into your DAC’s. I do not care if it will play the 5 SACD’s I have if that improves the CD play back (single speed drive and no DSD).

BWD! BWD BWD BWD BWD ... BWD!

Edit ( ... and no DSD).

Eventually, I’d like to move my Schiit stacks away from the PC in my study (and into the living room with my student-made Muskoka chairs). I never replaced my Yamaha 5-CD player. I wonder how Schiit’ll differntiate itself with this (possible) product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back