What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
May 10, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #7,773 of 14,564
How about a SOL that can play LPs, CDs, SACDs, 7.1 BluRay and 8 track cassettes? It would be cool if it incorporated digital room correction too!

Don't forget HDCD, wax phonographic cylinders, mini DV tapes for my 2002 camcorder, and bluetooth streaming to wireless speakers for that sweet, sweet lossy sound!

May 10, 2018 at 11:44 PM Post #7,775 of 14,564
Yeah. Everything for everybody! It’ll sell like hot cakes.
I'm a bit saddened that you left out compact cassette's; they're making a comeback you know.

I would appreciate a CD transport that was well built and vibration free with no or minimal mechanical noise.

May 11, 2018 at 6:02 AM Post #7,776 of 14,564
.....I would appreciate a CD transport that was well built and vibration free with no or minimal mechanical noise.

BINGO!

Let's get out those crystal balls.

I'm good with single disc play, preferably front loading. I don't know if a changer can be as stable, vibration free, and quiet in operation, none that I've ever experienced anyway. HDCD shouldn't be too much of a problem. Since Schiit are not on board with SACD, MQA, Video formats, etc., I wouldn't expect to see those processes available. Plus all that stuff would entail some space, I don't see a Ragnarok / Yggdrasil sized container for just $300.00 to $500.00.

As for video, while we do need a true successor to Oppo, I'm betting the firmware updates and service requirements after the sale can be a real PITA for manufacturers. Schiit would have to add video knowledgeable staffing. Lastly, think about the reasons Oppo is getting out of the business.

Last edited:
May 11, 2018 at 6:30 AM Post #7,777 of 14,564
Hi Mike. How about this.

Bifrost 2. Use the Jot chassis with 2x18bit chips in SE and CAB (Cheap-Ass Balanced) circuit. USB, BNC, Coax, Opt inputs. XLR and 2 RCA outputs. $600-$700.

Whaddya think?

Assuming this is an upgrade of the Bimby, I'd be in. Otherwise, not. Still wondering about the value proposition of my Bimby since the Mimby came out.

May 11, 2018 at 6:54 AM Post #7,778 of 14,564
A Schiit CD transport, built the way they do everything else, will be a wonderful thing. Count me in :)

May 11, 2018 at 8:40 AM Post #7,779 of 14,564
As for video, while we do need a true successor to Oppo, I'm betting the firmware updates and service requirements after the sale can be a real PITA for manufacturers. Schiit would have to add video knowledgeable staffing. Lastly, think about the reasons Oppo is getting out of the business.

Cambridge Audio, for one, makes and all-in-one disc AV player similar to the Oppo's, so there are still options on the market for that type of device.

May 11, 2018 at 8:45 AM Post #7,780 of 14,564
Cambridge Audio, for one, makes and all-in-one disc AV player similar to the Oppo's, so there are still options on the market for that type of device.

Good to know, thanks.

May 11, 2018 at 8:50 AM Post #7,781 of 14,564
What is the value proposition to the Bimby. It is upgradable. While a Mimby is a great piece of kit at a great price, it is what it will always be, a Mimby.

As an early Bifrost owner so far I have upgraded to multi-bit and Gen 5 USB and when you do you get any firmware upgrades to the Bimby at that time. Each upgrade even started a new two year warranty. And there maybe a even newer USB come available.

And course this is Mike so who knows what he may come up with next.

That is the value IMHO, YMMV, yada, yada, yada...

:)

Last edited:
May 11, 2018 at 8:57 AM Post #7,782 of 14,564
As a Bimby owner and upgraded to the latest USB level, the pledge of Schitt's stating Bimby is a dac that you will be able to upgrade as "new" stuff comes out means a lot to me.

If a Bimby 2 comes out I am counting on this potential "new" technology or advances be availbale as an upgrade to Bimby 1.

Alex

May 11, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #7,783 of 14,564
Thanks Mike!!!!

All sounds interesting.

The most interesting to me is the CD transport to play the 1,000+ CD’s I have and provide the best input into your DAC’s. I do not care if it will play the 5 SACD’s I have if that improves the CD play back (single speed drive and no DSD).

BWD! BWD BWD BWD BWD ... BWD!

Edit ( ... and no DSD).

Last edited:
May 11, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #7,784 of 14,564
Hi Mike. How about this.

Bifrost 2. Use the Jot chassis with 2x18bit chips in SE and CAB (Cheap-Ass Balanced) circuit. USB, BNC, Coax, Opt inputs. XLR and 2 RCA outputs. $600-$700.

Whaddya think?
Assuming this is an upgrade of the Bimby, I'd be in. Otherwise, not. Still wondering about the value proposition of my Bimby since the Mimby came out.
As a Bimby owner and upgraded to the latest USB level, the pledge of Schitt's stating Bimby is a dac that you will be able to upgrade as "new" stuff comes out means a lot to me.

If a Bimby 2 comes out I am counting on this potential "new" technology or advances be availbale as an upgrade to Bimby 1.

Alex

My concept for the Bifrost 2 would have to be a complete redesign, since the current Bifrost is not designed to be able to offer balanced outputs.

The reason I think a 9" wide 18-bit DAC with balanced outputs is important is because I see the Bifrost 2 needing to offer a significant upgrade over the current 16-bit DAC module for the Jot and Lyr 3 (and future amps). And since the Jot is a fully-balanced design, IMHO any matching DAC should have balanced outs to take full advantage of it.

May 11, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #7,785 of 14,564
I'm curious why all the comments are about stuffing balanced into a more elaborate Bifrost, rather than streamlining and distilling Gungnir into a smaller footprint (and price), to whatever degree the physics and BOM make possible...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back