What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
May 13, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #7,846 of 14,566
May 13, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #7,848 of 14,566
May 13, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #7,849 of 14,566
Why do some of you dislike a top loader CD transport? Is just a matter of preference (harder to manipulate) or it's due to a real technical disadvantage over the other two solutions?
I don't have anything against a top loaders. In my homes I've built AV cabinets which included rack rails and that makes having top loading units more difficult to place.

@Ableza - You're right, I should have said a CD Player or Transport option. However my point remains the same.

May 13, 2018 at 7:10 PM Post #7,850 of 14,566
CD TRANSPORT: This is a no-no for me. In an era where you can buy a cheap computer CD-transport that allows you to get perfect digital copies as .flac files so you can have literally your entire music collection, fully available after a couple of clicks, well... it just baffles my mind why anyone would want to go back to having to pick up a physical shiny disc, put it in a tray, way for it to load and oh if it's a double CD, 74 minutes later or so I'll have to do the reverse procedure to get the disc 1 out, put it in its case, so I can now insert disc 2 to continue enjoying my fav album. Arggg, this is to me like if for some weird reason some guys begin to advocate to go back to ride horses instead of ultra comfortable cars. No, thank you.

I have to chime in on this - now, Oveja Negra, pls do not think I am singling you out - is just you made a comment I have been seeing quite a lot from many users and many forums and decided to reply to this one - to each its opinion! BUT ON THE OTHER HAND:

Well - first of all, lemme admit, digital is digital - so I will admit that beyond the fact that the CD is a physical object with WAY better packaging than an flac, yes, sound-wise there is not argument to prefer CD over an flac of the same CD.

BUT Oveja and many people are declaring the CD is nonsense, out of personal opinion and experience - they are not wrong, but they should realize that, well, again giving that digital is digital, it is a matter of personal preference.

Now I will tell you my preference - yes, at some point my rig was 100% computer based.

Yet there is a small detail: I grew up and came of age during the CD era. What is more, my poison is classical - that means, that not only CD releases have continued - CD still being the preferred release platform of the classical majors (boutique and small labels have embraced the SACD and hi-res files, PCM and DSD), it also means my CDs sound fantastic, as opposed to all those brickwalled pop CDs.

My collection is lowballed at around 6000 CDs, definitely more. So I started the process of digitizing them. Given my that the classical metadata out there is crap, I realized that I was spending a lot of time just to be able to listen to whatever CD I wanted to hear. What's more it would probably take a lifetime to digitize all those CDs.

I realized most of my collection sat there, unlistened. So I said to myself, STOP THE MADNESS! :D (<-- making this joke confirms I came of age during the CD era)

I acquired a new CD player, after many years of not having one; first, one of those devices that perform above their weight class (a TEAC I think), then a more serious device, a higher end Oppo. And I am so happy. Now I can just pull any CD and just listen. No wait to digitize, no work tagging and I can enjoy the booklet and packaging - admittedly not as significant as that of an LP but against the nothing you get from most files you buy or from digitizing a CD then putting it away (or getting rid of it, as many people wrongly do), but still good.

I am enjoying my collection again, is like getting 6000 (or less, since I had already digitized some) new CDs at the same time! :D - classical heaven! :D

Now, again, this is my experience and preference. I am not saying that CDs will live forever or that preferring the convenience of a digital collection is wrong. All I am asking, pls don't say that because it does not make sense to YOU, it is non-sense.

Because of that, I am one of those who hope for a Schitt CD transport; and given that Mike is a classical fan, I am sure that now that we planted the seed, it will happen.

Right Mike? :D

(Edit - I replied before seeing Mike's post - yay - a prototype already! - and he mentioned Solti's Ring - like I said, hard core classical fan! See? I told you... )

peace

v

Last edited:
May 13, 2018 at 8:26 PM Post #7,851 of 14,566
I have to chime in on this - now, Oveja Negra, pls do not think I am singling you out - is just you made a comment I have been seeing quite a lot from many users and many forums and decided to reply to this one - to each its opinion! BUT ON THE OTHER HAND:

No offense taken, my friend. Also... it's impossible for me to become angry at another King Crimson fan :D

Having said that, I wanted to expand a little bit about my stance on this:

I never said CD as a medium is obsolete, I mean... its days are numbered and in a way it is already obsolete, cause a digital download from a perfect rip absolutely replaces it and also because the sales are reaching lower levels year after year, but the thing is -as you correctly pointed out- a lot of artists still release their material on CD only, due to that fact, I STILL BUY CDs in a monthly basis, obviously because I have no other choice.

As soon as receive a new CD, I rip it to .flac using a Sony VAIO laptop (I rarely have problems with metadata) and then I store the disc in a box in my attic (along with the rest of my collection) as a some sort of backup, in case something really bad happens to my digital collection, but yeah... I wish the medium dies as soon as possible since those boxes are becoming bigger and bigger.

What I said, however, is I see no point in making a CD transport. I ask myself, why would I spend money in a new device that offers me zero advantage over what I already got?

Finally, I also believe Mike already decided to make the CD transport. If you think about it, Schiit has no interest in transducers, they make electronics, they already have headphone solutions, they already entered the 2-channel world and the only missing component among what they offer is: sources. They will release Sol, they have said several times a Schiit Streamer will happen the day we see Mike wearing a t-shirt with the phrase "MQA is the best thing evah!!!!", so what's left to close the circle? a CD transport :D

Regards. :)

May 13, 2018 at 9:34 PM Post #7,852 of 14,566
Maybe it is just to round out source line-up. Maybe Mike Moffat truly believes that CD playback, done properly, is superior to ripped and streamed digital music. And maybe it's also about staying true to their mantra...

"For the music you have, not the music you have to buy.”

There are a whole lot of CD's already out there in folk's collections -- just like there are a whole lot of albums. Even with diminishing CD sales and production, the number of CD's already out there is enough that other MFG's continue making CD players and transports, some at much higher prices than the projected Schiit pricing. Who knows if the transport will happen, but I believe they're brilliant engineers and smart enough business folks to ensure there is value and key differentiation to make it a compelling product or it will not see the light of day.

Last edited:
May 13, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #7,853 of 14,566
May 13, 2018 at 10:46 PM Post #7,854 of 14,566
No offense taken, my friend. Also... it's impossible for me to become angry at another King Crimson fan :D

Having said that, I wanted to expand a little bit about my stance on this:

Regards. :)

Again - not much to say here - other than give a shout out back to another Crimso fan! :D

Indeed, Oveja's reply confirms that is all up to the preference, experience and preferred listening session flow... I simply come from a place that says that ripping 6000+ CDs is a big job - I rather listen... and for this particular fan, Mike's motto fits perfectly... "for the music you have..."

Now Playing: Mahler, Symphony No. 3 from https://www.discogs.com/Mahler-Leon...monic-OrchestraLondon-Symphon/release/8343894

FROM CD :D

v

May 14, 2018 at 1:29 AM Post #7,857 of 14,566
Saw the Saint-Saens cello concerto last night, Renaud Capuçon was dashing as always. The maestro—Stéphane Denève—was a very, very French mashup of Erlich Bachman from Silicon Valley and a non-crippled James Levine, though still clearly well fed. Capuçon did an encore with the whole orchestra. I forget what it was but it was beautiful, as was the cello playing. SS gets crap for being conservative, but he's a masterful composer in command of an extraordinary technique. I'd like to see one of his operas. His corpus is so big.

I was kind of drunk so I don't remember the contemporary piece at the start of the second half or the thing that the concert started with. They played Pines of Rome at the end, which is kind of boring until the end, when it gets very loud.

May 14, 2018 at 7:02 AM Post #7,858 of 14,566
Again - not much to say here - other than give a shout out back to another Crimso fan! :D

Indeed, Oveja's reply confirms that is all up to the preference, experience and preferred listening session flow... I simply come from a place that says that ripping 6000+ CDs is a big job - I rather listen... and for this particular fan, Mike's motto fits perfectly... "for the music you have..."

Now Playing: Mahler, Symphony No. 3 from https://www.discogs.com/Mahler-Leon...monic-OrchestraLondon-Symphon/release/8343894

FROM CD :D

v

I only have about 2,500 CD's, mostly classical, and even ripping that few would be a chore to me.

That's a great set, classic Bernie, I especially like #2 and #7. But I have most of his later DG stuff as well.

Last edited:
May 14, 2018 at 7:36 AM Post #7,859 of 14,566
... They played Pines of Rome at the end, which is kind of boring until the end, when it gets very loud.

Was a very popular piece in the early days of stereo for demos at Hi-Fi stores. My two favs are late 50's Reiner and late 70's Maazel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back