What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Mar 22, 2018 at 8:39 PM Post #7,441 of 14,566
What are some quintessential recordings that show the magic of the time domain optimization in the schiit filter?

Why, the Red Hot Organization's Dark Was the Night compilation This and That double CD album, of course. :wink:

IMO, the best sounding recording master that takes advantage of Mike's R2R multibit Gain ADC system and his likewise Yggy DAC is MFSL's Ultradisc II 1998 CD release of Jeff Beck's Blow by Blow album.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2018 at 4:40 AM Post #7,445 of 14,566
OK so how about give this a try...listen to some of this music on your HE560 with the DS DAC then the MB DAC...
I am sure it's up on YouTube.

Then, repeat the test with Tool or really any metal, I'm not sure you'll hear a difference.
So, as JJ wrote, a lot depends on the type of music you listen to.
Don't spend for MB when you don't hear a difference on your music.
That album has a track (Walkin' Blues) that has monster kick a** ba**.
He is thumping the riser on the stage with his foot, which is acting like a drum head.

With the MB dacs recognizing the sound of his foot hitting the stage floor is much easier, even on such a simple song (single guitar and voice).

JJ

Mar 23, 2018 at 11:41 PM Post #7,446 of 14,566
editing, will re-post later

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-23 at 11.36.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-23 at 11.36.33 PM.png
    9.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 26, 2018 at 2:41 AM Post #7,449 of 14,566
Today’s editorial touches on sundry topics including OLEDs, noise and quiet. I am kicked back on a Sunday listening to Kleiber’s Die Fledermaus, which is just about as light as it gets operatically but worth it to listen to the conductor, one of my very favorites. It is also appropriate that where I live we have a significant population of “flutter mice - fledermaus” (bats) taking to summer skies at night in search of bugs to eat. Now I live a nine mile two lane followed by a mile dirt road distance from the nearest freeway. There are less than three humans living in every square mile in a ten mile radius surrounding me. It is *** quiet around here, particularly at night. The distance to the road sonically (visual straight line) is about a mile, and the noisiest thing here is a car approaching from the valley on the two lane road. It is actually possible to hear them approaching from three or four miles away. Now that I am used to this silence it is amazing the difference to suburbia, downtown LA, or even say Manhattan, where I would advocate electric collars which shock the driver every time they blow the damn horn.

It is nice to listen to 2 channel audio with such a quiet background as so little is added to the to the background of the recording. Makes it seem like “black background” is a desirable design attribute to any audio product. Well I agree with some of that but have a different viewpoint than many. Many sincerely believe that an important component of any sound reproduction is a black background. I think that music which is created electronically (such as techno, among many others) has no clear background other than electronics. This is quite a different sort of recording than one of music which actually lived in the physical universe; that was created acoustically (in the atmosphere). The gear I build is made to reproduce music which once lived in the real world as opposed to creating melodies which lived as flows of electrons and sampled digits in computers and linear circuits. The latter form creates sound for the first time, and permits enormous (artistic? - technical?) license in the character of the resultant program. I build equipment to as closely as possible reproduce the sound of the original living musical performance. This is not to say that electronic music is not valid artistically. It is just that I have no idea how the artist intended for it to be experienced. This is a huge obstacle for me. What do I do? Keep building stuff which really works for reproduced music. Like multibit – yeah.

Oh and about black backgrounds. No such thing for electronic music. In a live venue, there are usually people shifting in seats, clearing their throats, swallowing, etc. In controlled recording environments, there are sounds immediately audible as soon as the recording switches on (for example the room size can be clearly heard in some recordings) before the music starts. No such luck in a recording with a perfect “black” background.

This is not to say that digital or analog noise is a good thing in excess. Dither is added digital noise which we added a bit more of to the Yggy 2. The thing was it made it sound quieter and measure much better. Go figure. That’s why Yggys resolve the very low level info they do, and more so as the systems get better.

A perfect analogy to “black” backgrounds is OLED technology in phones and projectors. Many agree the image contrast to be vastly superior to the older LED tech. This may be quite valuable for games, cartoons, and superhero CG non-reality based images. For outside and inside photographic recreations, the OLEDs black background is extreme and artificial. A visit to a local museum for an analog reference on some film based photographs as a reference followed by a well pondered look at some photographs on OLED vs LED screens may be quite telling. Only my opinion, but these principles guide me in my engineering. A visit to the site www.shorpy.com might be quite enlightening as to what info has been lost over the years.

Finally a new direction in protos I am building. As I mentioned on the Facebook stream the other day, I am taking a look at CAB (cheap-assed balance) technology as to explore new ways of providing value for those who insist on balanced systems.

The best way to balance in the digital domain is to use two separate DACs per channel. Since digital circuits generate horrible amounts of high frequency noise, a DAC for the other phase of the balanced signal converts all of that noise to common mode and cancels it out.

A much cheaper way is to balance the D/A converter in analog only, the way the majority of our competing balanced units do. This gets rid of the cost of a balanced (including DAC chips) digital section, which is not trivial, considering the parts we use. I’ll be looking at this more seriously in the next few months for less expensive balanced designs. Let it go without saying that the Yggy and Gumby are both fully digitally balanced (hard-way).

In other news, work continues on the Windoze driver for our own USB implementation. Which otherwise is running with a few bugs, but works!

One other new product is on the horizon as soon as a bug (this time from one of our suppliers) is worked out. Thanks to all of you for reading!

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 26, 2018 at 2:55 AM Post #7,450 of 14,566
You say CAB, I say CAM, and I know no one needs me to spell out what that stands for. Flimby will soon march across the rainbow bridge out of Valhalla and into the Hall of the Gibitchungs for all to hear.

MTT really just nailed Mahler 5 perfectly. The ballet today was good but the last act (sailors pursuing cute girls a little too rape-ily for comfort) did not elicit applause from me, despite Mr Bernstein's excellent music.

I'm convinced the greatest living pianist, sparing Mrs. Argerich's blushes, is Kit Armstrong, whose Beethoven 1 is superb: https://www.yourclassical.org/programs/performance-today/episodes/2018/03/19

Keep your eye on him.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2018 at 4:54 AM Post #7,452 of 14,566
I've posted this before but I've been re-discovering it lately, again.

When the 'natural' (acoustic based) re-creation is 'right' (or reaches a point of suitable precision) the 'synthetic' (sample based) renditions are remarkably complex and harmonically 'hooked up'.
Almost organic in a very structured way.

Yeah the background is artificial but then all of this genre is, by definition.
Even though some of it is, at least in part, based upon samples taken from natural instruments.

Still, when it clicks, it ALL clicks.

JJ

Mar 26, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #7,453 of 14,566
FWIW, I listen to a lot of electronic music on my Bimby and it sounds great too. So just do your thing, @Baldr. :)

Mar 26, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #7,455 of 14,566
Oh and about black backgrounds. No such thing for electronic music. In a live venue, there are usually people shifting in seats, clearing their throats, swallowing, etc. In controlled recording environments, there are sounds immediately audible as soon as the recording switches on (for example the room size can be clearly heard in some recordings) before the music starts. No such luck in a recording with a perfect “black” background. ...

A perfect analogy to “black” backgrounds is OLED technology in phones and projectors. Many agree the image contrast to be vastly superior to the older LED tech. This may be quite valuable for games, cartoons, and superhero CG non-reality based images. For outside and inside photographic recreations, the OLEDs black background is extreme and artificial. A visit to a local museum for an analog reference on some film based photographs as a reference followed by a well pondered look at some photographs on OLED vs LED screens may be quite telling. Only my opinion, but these principles guide me in my engineering. A visit to the site www.shorpy.com might be quite enlightening as to what info has been lost over the years. ...

I've been thinking on this black (also read "clean") background a long time with video. I was a very early adopter of both BRD and HDVD as well as all of the earlier video formats. I remember when some films were "digitized" so they could remove the film grain and then "edge enhanced" outlines. Who the hell came up with that idea? And for who? It completely destroyed the look of those films.

It never dawned on me that something along those lines could crapify recorded music as well but your point is well taken by me.

My hope is that my plasma monitor will outlive me so I don't have to deal with the latest and greatest screen technologies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back