What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Mar 22, 2018 at 2:57 AM Post #7,426 of 14,564
With the MultiBit dacs, you will hear what the recording has to offer.
Meaning the degree of resolution and complexity you will hear is based upon the source file itself.
And yes these dacs are 'best' with 'natural' instruments vs 'synthetic' instruments (all electronic, no direct acoustical connection when recorded)
That isn't to say all electronic tracks don't work well, but they usually have VERY different resonance and harmonic patterns, which don't resemble room acoustics much at all.

IOW if the recording is 2nd rate, or worse, that is what you'll hear.
And likewise if it's a killer recording, That is what you'll hear as well.
This is one way of 'explaining' what the MB dacs bring to the table.

For instance, if they used a really good mic and positioned it properly and used really good electronics to record the single guitar etc, then you will be in for a treat.

Assuming of course the rest of your system is on par.

And if you can't hear any difference between those 2) MB dacs, then that certainly kills off any attack of audio nervosa, huh? :k701smile:

The next question is, does it sound good to you, and if so enjoy the music!

JJ

Mar 22, 2018 at 3:05 AM Post #7,427 of 14,564
With the MultiBit dacs, you will hear what the recording has to offer.
Meaning the degree of resolution and complexity you will hear is based upon the source file itself.
And yes these dacs are 'best' with 'natural' instruments vs 'synthetic' instruments (all electronic, no direct acoustical connection when recorded)
That isn't to say all electronic tracks don't work well, but they usually have VERY different resonance and harmonic patterns, which don't resemble room acoustics much at all.

IOW if the recording is 2nd rate, or worse, that is what you'll hear.
And likewise if it's a killer recording, That is what you'll hear as well.
This is one way of 'explaining' what the MB dacs bring to the table.

For instance, if they used a really good mic and positioned it properly and used really good electronics to record the single guitar etc, then you will be in for a treat.

Assuming of course the rest of your system is on par.

And if you can't hear any difference between those 2) MB dacs, then that certainly kills off any attack of audio nervosa, huh? :k701smile:

The next question is, does it sound good to you, and if so enjoy the music!

JJ
I certainly enjoy the music. Have been listening to bimby/saga/vidar all night. Of course for speakers/room, I could use an upgrade, but on headphones, I have a hard time spending on things past HD600 T5P HE560 DT880 GS2000e, and I love the sound of all of those except the apparently universally heralded HD600. I can't get behind that, whether driven by the Lyr2, Magni2uber, or Vali2.
Apparently, I'm a Philistine. Oh Well, tonight, I'll listen to Tool's Lateralus over speakers. I love that whole album.

Mar 22, 2018 at 7:45 AM Post #7,428 of 14,564
Could somebody post a link that isn't a Facebook link? I closed my Facebook account and they want me to open one to see it. If feel so data under-mined.

Go to facebook.com/schiit and click on videos. I watched the video there last night and I have never had (nor ever will have) a facebook account.

JC

Mar 22, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #7,430 of 14,564
Thanks. facebook.com/schiit worked. When I enter just Facebook.com it seems to know I had an account and won't let me in without signing in. On to the video....--->
Try deleting your cookies, or see if incognito mode/a different browser makes a difference. At least for Chrome, there's an extension that allows you to only delete the cookies for certain domains (i.e. Facebook) so you don't negatively affect other sites.

Mar 22, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #7,431 of 14,564
Try deleting your cookies, or see if incognito mode/a different browser makes a difference. At least for Chrome, there's an extension that allows you to only delete the cookies for certain domains (i.e. Facebook) so you don't negatively affect other sites.

I don't know if Safari allows that but I will try. I just wish @Jason Stoddard would post the videos on YouTube or the Schiit site at the same time they go up on Facebook.

Mar 22, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #7,432 of 14,564
I don't know if Safari allows that but I will try. I just wish @Jason Stoddard would post the videos on YouTube or the Schiit site at the same time they go up on Facebook.
I would prefer that, too, but part of it is that it's a live stream. They are likely not recording everything themselves and just feeding it to Facebook, but basically just connect a camera to a computer and let Facebook do the rest. It's possible that you can't even (easily) download the resulting video from Facebook to publish it somewhere else, or maybe it's Facebook's terms of use.

All that said, YouTube supports live streams as well. I don't know whether that's harder to use than Facebook, but I'd much prefer it, too.

Mar 22, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #7,433 of 14,564
For Safari, try Safari > Preferences > Privacy > Manage Website Data..., then find Facebook in there. Hope it does the trick!

Mar 22, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #7,436 of 14,564
When it comes to the advantages of multibit I have found the rest of the chain has to up to the task. If you have mid tier headphones and amp, probably won't hear a huge difference. I recently added a Yggy to my chain. Feeding a WooAudio WA5LE and Focal Utopia and LCD-4 the difference was immediate. When I use the Yggy with my Jot and Focal Elear the differences between the Yggy and my Metrum Acoustics Muesette (multibit dac) were rather subtle. It was better but by a much smaller margin. All things are relative. What I consider a major improvement might be to small to make a difference to some. And vice versa.

Mar 22, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #7,437 of 14,564
When it comes to the advantages of multibit I have found the rest of the chain has to up to the task. If you have mid tier headphones and amp, probably won't hear a huge difference. I recently added a Yggy to my chain. Feeding a WooAudio WA5LE and Focal Utopia and LCD-4 the difference was immediate. When I use the Yggy with my Jot and Focal Elear the differences between the Yggy and my Metrum Acoustics Muesette (multibit dac) were rather subtle. It was better but by a much smaller margin. All things are relative. What I consider a major improvement might be to small to make a difference to some. And vice versa.
Nice gear! I'm sure you can hear the difference between DS and MB on the Utopia or LCD-4!
Some damn fine cans, there. $4,000 each.

Mar 22, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #7,438 of 14,564
Just bought Max Lorenz's 1943 Tannhäuser. It only exists as an LP, and I was only able to find it on amazon.de. The seller didn't ship to the US, or even to the UK, so I had it shipped to my friend Lennart in Berlin, where I'll pick it up at the end of June. Would it be possible to use the Schiitr Jill to import it to my MacBook Pro?

Also just subscribed to next season with the opera (seeing Arabella twice) as well as Philharmonia Baroque. SFS create your own series packages should be on sale soon. The prepackaged bundles are not quite to my liking. Next up is Smuin and SF Ballet.

It's Martha Mödl's birthday, and in her honor I give you her last Brünnhilde, from 1966:

As well as her first, allegedly the Keilberth 1953 (though I'm not sure about the veracity of this one...it sounds a little too stereo for 1953):

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2018 at 6:17 PM Post #7,439 of 14,564
I certainly enjoy the music. Have been listening to bimby/saga/vidar all night. Of course for speakers/room, I could use an upgrade, but on headphones, I have a hard time spending on things past HD600 T5P HE560 DT880 GS2000e, and I love the sound of all of those except the apparently universally heralded HD600. I can't get behind that, whether driven by the Lyr2, Magni2uber, or Vali2.
Apparently, I'm a Philistine. Oh Well, tonight, I'll listen to Tool's Lateralus over speakers. I love that whole album.

OK so how about give this a try...listen to some of this music on your HE560 with the DS DAC then the MB DAC...
I am sure it's up on YouTube.
Unplugged.jpeg
Then, repeat the test with Tool or really any metal, I'm not sure you'll hear a difference.
So, as JJ wrote, a lot depends on the type of music you listen to.
Don't spend for MB when you don't hear a difference on your music.

Mar 22, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #7,440 of 14,564

Hasn't this always been true in two channel and headphone high end audio? Buy your dream headphones (or speakers) first planning to keep for years. Then use your remaining budget for amp and source. Try to buy the best amp you can afford, even if you have to buy a less expensive DAC than you would like. If you like tubes and open phones try the HD800S. Many could live with those for years. Try to buy a good TOTL tube amp like the Kenzie Encore or Eddie Current ZDS even if you only have money left for a Schiit Modi 2 Multibit DAC. If you can't afford a TOTL tube amp HD800S sound very good from a Vali 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back