What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Mar 20, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #7,411 of 14,566
The playing with beautifully expressive and technically flawless. At 20, she seems destined for greatness.
Alas, in classical music greatness may not bring professional success. There is more talent than the classical world is able to support and it is a zero sum game among professional musicians.

Great stuff, though when I subscribe this coming season I might opt for 2nd tier because the terrace is so loud and frankly uncomfortable.
I've sat in the Davies Hall center and side terraces, and although it can be fascinating to watch the orchestra from 10 feet away, it is far from ideal for actually listening to music.

Mar 20, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #7,412 of 14,566
[QUOTE="rkw, post: 14117491, member: 642"...

I've sat in the Davies Hall center and side terraces, and although it can be fascinating to watch the orchestra from 10 feet away, it is far from ideal for actually listening to music.[/QUOTE]

Your right, and that goes for any concert hall I've ever been to.

Mar 20, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #7,413 of 14,566
Breaking news! Mike just announced a balanced Bimby and went back in time nearly three years to release it! It's in a larger chassis, is double the cost, and Mike sneakily is calling it Gungnir Multibit, just so nobody knows.

Mar 20, 2018 at 9:47 PM Post #7,417 of 14,566
As my wife says, getting older sucks, but not quite as much as the alternative.

I used to wrestle with the premise that "the reward for long life is old age." Couldn't quite wrap my mind around the judiciousness of surviving only to be visited upon by decrepitude.

Then I made the connection to the old adage that "Only the good die young.", and it all became abundantly clear...

When they asked the late great Maurice Chevalier how he felt on his 80th birthday, he replied, "Well, when you consider the alternative..."

When they asked John Wayne on one of his later birthdays how he felt, he said, "Oh, to be 40 again!" :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2018 at 2:07 AM Post #7,419 of 14,566
In honor of Mike's new multibit achievements, a rare Max Lorenz Parsifal excerpt:

He tells us in the Schiitr Release that "this is about as small as I can make it." After the comparable Mimby declaration, I am now planting a flag:

$199 Flimby before the end of 2019. Multibit shatters the ultimate price barrier and fêtes Head-Fi like nothing seen before. Bonus points if Jason repackages the Vali 1's subminiature tubes. or adds a battery.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2018 at 10:33 PM Post #7,420 of 14,566
Dear Mike,

I listened to your product release video. Don't listen to Jason. I would be perfectly happy with a S/PDIF to S/PDIF gadget, especially if it is cheap. I have already bought several of your DAC's and an Eitr and I do not want to buy them again. Thanks. Even if it is not your first release. Down the road, Gadget mini. Please?

Mar 21, 2018 at 11:47 PM Post #7,422 of 14,566
Dear Mike,

I listened to your product release video. Don't listen to Jason. I would be perfectly happy with a S/PDIF to S/PDIF gadget, especially if it is cheap. I have already bought several of your DAC's and an Eitr and I do not want to buy them again. Thanks. Even if it is not your first release. Down the road, Gadget mini. Please?

The better question is whether the bigger processor prototype is at the Schiitr. I'm going to be in LA on July 18 for several days after my European tour, and I would love to hear it with the new processor.

Mar 22, 2018 at 1:03 AM Post #7,424 of 14,566
I used to wrestle with the premise that "the reward for long life is old age." ...

417d161218198f779cc7950f2c1a973c--clean-living-old-age.jpg

Mar 22, 2018 at 1:53 AM Post #7,425 of 14,566
So here's a question about multibit, may have been asked and answered before, but I've not found a sufficient answer. What are some quintessential recordings that show the magic of the time domain optimization in the schiit filter? I have the modi2uber and mimby, and also the gen5 bimby (connected to a saga/vidar). For my favorite recordings, I don't hear a clear difference between them once things are level matched (as modi2uber is lower output than the other two). I'd imagine many of the things I listen to (death metal, grindcore, etc) that have high complexity with regard to bpm, technical instrument proficiency, etc might not benefit as they are typical multitrack mixed mastered recordings. From what I'm hearing, it's the live recordings that show the benefit of the time-domain optimization with correct positional (phase?) reproduction from live recordings. That said, my favorite types of live recordings are solo guitar (stuff like parkening, bream, russell, etc) where all the sound is coming from one distinct position). Will I not hear a huge difference via the time-domain optimization for this type of stuff?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back