What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Mar 19, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #7,381 of 14,566
A "Flimby" is my #1 hope. Also interested in a subminiature tube preamp section for Jotunheim.

EDIT : Instead of a DS Yggy, how about an Yggy Maxi with even yuuuuuger power supplies for like $50,000? In an era of car-priced DACs, Mike could throw in a BMW 3 Series for free!

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #7,382 of 14,566
I beg to differ.

Here are a pair of Hypex nCore 400 watt amps that I assembled for a friend. They were extremely detailed and I find no single fault with them. However, they were dry and emotionally unengaging. Daft Punk sounded great, Wilhelm Furtwangler sounded like he was phoning the performance in. I was not sorry to see those amps go to their rightful owner

I have to agree, very similar experience here.

My take is that the output filter can't cover the large impedance and phase changes that
occur in most speaker systems. They give you values to use as the filter for different impedance loads.

Ed

Mar 19, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #7,383 of 14,566
I beg to differ.

Here are a pair of Hypex nCore 400 watt amps that I assembled for a friend. They were extremely detailed and I find no single fault with them. However, they were dry and emotionally unengaging. Daft Punk sounded great, Wilhelm Furtwangler sounded like he was phoning the performance in. I was not sorry to see those amps go to their rightful owner

I don’t doubt your opinion in the least, but am wondering if it was in comparison to a Class AB or Class A amp? What speakers?

Mar 19, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #7,385 of 14,566
I don’t doubt your opinion in the least, but am wondering if it was in comparison to a Class AB or Class A amp? What speakers?
Source: Logitech Tranporter
Preamp: Parasound DP2000
Other Amp: Hafler Transnova 9505
Speakers: Martin-Logan Aerius
Interconnects: Audioquest Topaz XLR
Cable: Monster Basic 14 gauge

Mar 19, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #7,386 of 14,566
Why do you feel that you are entitled to make your own copy? Have you thought of buying the music?
Oh I do. I do. I purchase as much as I can. Perhaps "entitled" is an overstatement. I try to have the majority of my audio library as purchased files. What I find interesting is intellectual ownership of songs. When I buy a song from iTunes, I don't own it, per say. I purchase a lease or the right to play it on x number of machines (as far as I understand it). When I buy a CD, I can trade it or sell it, and the media passes to another party.

Ah, ethics. Interesting reply, @rkw . Thanks, eh.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #7,388 of 14,566
Mar 19, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #7,389 of 14,566
DSD + MQA + Dolby Atmos, OMG

Heh, I still remember asking whether the products support Surround Sound, Dolby Blah Blah Blah. I received a one-word answer...

...No....

Mar 19, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #7,390 of 14,566
Breaking news! Mike just announced a balanced Bimby and went back in time nearly three years to release it! It's in a larger chassis, is double the cost, and Mike sneakily is calling it Gungnir Multibit, just so nobody knows.

Mar 19, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #7,391 of 14,566
@Baldr, especially since he already has titanium in his spine.

Not to mention what happened with Wolverine and the Adamantium implants he got. If such can happen to him what chance have the rest of us got??

All kidding aside, I hope your father and Baldr are both doing well!

Mar 19, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #7,392 of 14,566
Breaking news! Mike just announced a balanced Bimby and went back in time nearly three years to release it! It's in a larger chassis, is double the cost, and Mike sneakily is calling it Gungnir Multibit, just so nobody knows.
YES! I was about to vote for a balanced Bimby!
What a great upgrade at that price point, for Schiit Audio.
An excellent idea, IMO. Well done Mike, Jason and all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back