What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Mar 19, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #7,366 of 14,566
My mind gets warped when people ask for volume control on a pure DAC. Can you explain, why? Don't you use an amp to listen to it? It has volume control by definition.
You know the part of a song, towards the end, where the music and vocals fade out slowly? Well thats the mastering engineer attenuating the volume, digitally, at high enough resolution (probably 32 or 64 bits) and dither so that there is zero affect on the quality. Everyone except for last-century purists know that this is miles ahead of analog volume control for transparency.

All high end FPGA DACs are capable of nearly the same mastering quality digital attenuation - but I think that with Yggdrasil's design using the Analog Devices chips (which just do pure D/A) they probably cant get this to work without a complete design overhaul.

Mar 19, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #7,367 of 14,566
I suppose the best way to fight MQA would be to begin aggressively buying new and used CDs. Regarding the as-yet-unnamed product: Gen5 Mimby or Jotunheim? USB out of the Gadget?

Mar 19, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #7,370 of 14,566
He did say once with a Decca you can hear God...but the cost of hearing god is like a couple grand..maybe he found a cheaper way....

Decca made some gorgeous sounding phono cartridges back when. I think I may still have one in my museum of audio nostalgia (it's a cardboard box actually).

Mar 19, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #7,372 of 14,566
Maybe he's building a class D amp?

Haha, that was exactly the first thought that came to my mind when I read Mike's post, but I highly doubt it, cause that would mean he was working on it at the same time he posted stuff like "Class D amps? NEVER!!, they sound like hemorroidal blarf sadasdasd"...

I'd love to be proven wrong though, I'm still waiting for whoever is able to deliver a Class D amp with a performance that competes head to head with the best Class AB amps. It would be glorious to have such a great sound in a compact form that also is so enviromentally friendly.

PS: Best wishes for your and your wife, Mike. I hope both of you get well soon! :)

Mar 19, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #7,374 of 14,566
Haha, that was exactly the first thought that came to my mind when I read Mike's post, but I highly doubt it, cause that would mean he was working on it at the same time he posted stuff like "Class D amps? NEVER!!, they sound like hemorroidal blarf sadasdasd"...

I'd love to be proven wrong though, I'm still waiting for whoever is able to deliver a Class D amp with a performance that competes head to head with the best Class AB amps. It would be glorious to have such a great sound in a compact form that also is so enviromentally friendly.

PS: Best wishes for your and your wife, Mike. I hope both of you get well soon! :)

Class D Hypex Ncore more than fills that requirement.

Mar 19, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #7,376 of 14,566
Mar 19, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #7,377 of 14,566

Really? Thanks for mention it, I will look for more information. It's not the first time I read about the next big thing when it comes to Class D amps, but they never deliver to be comparable to the best Class AB exponents.

Agree, at least for HT. I use 9.2 channels of Class D in my HT and it works fine for dialog and movie sounds, especially good at getting loud. I don't listen to music on the HT system but movie soundtrack music sounds very good to my ears. Heresy I know....

See? that's the thing, I know Class D amps are great for HT, but for audio reproduction (2-ch power amps) at high volumes, wired to "difficult" to drive speakers, they still need improvements.

Mar 19, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #7,380 of 14,566
I beg to differ.
20170117_073555.jpeg

Here are a pair of Hypex nCore 400 watt amps that I assembled for a friend. They were extremely detailed and I find no single fault with them. However, they were dry and emotionally unengaging. Daft Punk sounded great, Wilhelm Furtwangler sounded like he was phoning the performance in. I was not sorry to see those amps go to their rightful owner

Users who are viewing this thread

Back