What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Dec 13, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #5,972 of 14,565
I can only assume Pietro meant it makes no point to discuss science with non-experts at the level of technical detail and vocabulary understood only by experts.
That's indeed what I mean.
And I know it's my own fault for not being able to do just that sometimes.
I am sort of jealous if one can talk transparent about complex matters.

Dec 13, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #5,974 of 14,565
Just got both the 1962 Bayreuth Tristan (FINALLY) and chef's chocolate from dandelion chocolate. It has none of those awful additives like soy lecithin. Looking forward to putting a tablespoon in my latte tomorrow morning.

Dec 13, 2017 at 9:17 PM Post #5,975 of 14,565
I just got Sweet Chocolate with Hazelnut Biscuit Piemonte I.G.P. by Three-Michelin-star chef Enrico Crippa 1000 grams to boot. It is to die for and is evil. could chase it back with tokaji imperium 2000 from hungary, mmmmm

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2017 at 9:22 PM Post #5,976 of 14,565
Just got both the 1962 Bayreuth Tristan (FINALLY) and chef's chocolate from dandelion chocolate. It has none of those awful additives like soy lecithin. Looking forward to putting a tablespoon in my latte tomorrow morning.
Dandelion is the best. Got me into dark chocolate. Lots of 70% bars with beans from different places, to be appreciated much like wine.
And proper European Hot Chocolate, not that watered down American stuff that may contain traces of chocolate.

Dec 13, 2017 at 9:23 PM Post #5,977 of 14,565
i'm reminded of the moment on the simpsons when lisa is a vegetarian and asks the lunch lady what she has that's vegetarian. "You can try the meatloaf," comes the deadpan reply.

Dec 13, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #5,978 of 14,565
tumblr_o47vyl1cc41ur7n5co1_500.gif

Dec 14, 2017 at 12:00 AM Post #5,979 of 14,565
skied all winters long until too many parts wore out and hand and knee surgeries became my year round sport. No regrets, but I do miss the sports.
I know quite a few people in their 70s and 80s who still ski, even after full knee replacements. They just choose where and when wisely. Most of my on-the-snow time is actually alpine touring, where most of the activity is skinning uphill -- great aerobic exercise -- and the downhill is offpiste, away from hardpacked resort slopes or moguls. Much gentler on the joints overall. And when I ski the lifts, like I did last weekend at Squaw, I take it carefully (bad, bad moguls) to keep my lower back and knees happy. And I train year round to be decently conditioned for skiing.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2017 at 1:13 AM Post #5,981 of 14,565
SFUSD just got a 2% bonus and a 3% raise (with another 4% next year and 4% the year following, plus more beyond that contingent on a parcel tax being passed), and once I have my retina 5k iMac, Yggy will become much more plausible. (I anticipate I shall keep my 2009 model, if only for the optical drive.) I remain interested in AKG and Quincy Jones's N90Q, as its DSP represents another leaf of the tree of knowledge, albeit room correction rather than pitch correction (and the ability to go to Europe with just that and my podcast-appropriate AirPods), as well as the super portable Shure KSE 1500, the most user friendly entry into electrostatic sound. And, of course, Emotiva's Airmotive line of powered monitors. Out of Mjolnir 2, I expect fantastic sound from them—tremendous sound. The best sound.

Dec 14, 2017 at 5:55 AM Post #5,983 of 14,565
I know quite a few people in their 70s and 80s who still ski, even after full knee replacements. They just choose where and when wisely. Most of my on-the-snow time is actually alpine touring, where most of the activity is skinning uphill -- great aerobic exercise -- and the downhill is offpiste, away from hardpacked resort slopes or moguls. Much gentler on the joints overall. And when I ski the lifts, like I did last weekend at Squaw, I take it carefully (bad, bad moguls) to keep my lower back and knees happy. And I train year round to be decently conditioned for skiing.

Ah, yes, that lower back business, it only hurts when I laugh now! Never considered cross-country type, never too old I guess. But I do love the change of season, prolly why I never retired to the south.

Dec 14, 2017 at 7:46 AM Post #5,984 of 14,565
chef's chocolate from dandelion chocolate. It has none of those awful additives like soy lecithin. Looking forward to putting a tablespoon in my latte tomorrow morning.

Dandelion is the best. Got me into dark chocolate. Lots of 70% bars with beans from different places, to be appreciated much like wine.
And proper European Hot Chocolate, not that watered down American stuff that may contain traces of chocolate

We sadly have only one shop in Amsterdam selling this best choc ever.
Once you taste it your life will never be the same.

Dec 14, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #5,985 of 14,565
I enjoyed vinkeles and la rive for dinner my last stay in Amsterdam. Even was given a free bottle of local white wine. It surprisingly not bad for a soulless wine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back