What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Dec 13, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #5,941 of 14,566
Liking retirement is a learned behavior that accomplished and successful people often have struggled with. Quite a few are like you, others just drop dead out of boredom, and there are those like myself who learn how to enjoy and indulge themselves and family as a full time job. If, however, working floats your boat, do it.
Fully agree, and as one who's approaching, I need to get an agenda.
A friend of mine did it well. He still plays Sr. League baseball in his 70's. They tour the world.

Dec 13, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #5,942 of 14,566
re: retirement. i retired in 2009 and did not like it. I went back to work for my old company under much better terms and will probably work until they carry me out feet first.

To each his own. I retired in 1997 and never had any desire to go back.

JC

Dec 13, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #5,943 of 14,566
re: retirement. i retired in 2009 and did not like it. I went back to work for my old company under much better terms and will probably work until they carry me out feet first.

I got downsized in 2009, but I had just turned 62 and planned to retire at 64 anyway as I started saving for it at 25. Because of my age (protected group) they gave me a package that carried me almost all the way to 64 so I never looked back. Played golf and fished all summers long and skied all winters long until too many parts wore out and hand and knee surgeries became my year round sport. No regrets, but I do miss the sports. But, I can now concentrate my time and resources on audio and home theater and live concerts and still get out to trot 3 days a week, lift weights, core and resistance stuff, so I feel pretty fortunate as most of my friends face greater challenges at this point in our lives.

One downside is I now have more free time and keep making the same mistake of paying too much attention to the daily news and that's just not good for my disposition.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #5,944 of 14,566
I have adapted well since day one in the life of leisure. Everyday feels like a snow day ( sorry Canadian expression ) I figured I needed a few decades hopefully, to do as I please before the ultimate rent check is due. No regrets.

Dec 13, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #5,947 of 14,566
Fully agree, and as one who's approaching, I need to get an agenda.
A friend of mine did it well. He still plays Sr. League baseball in his 70's. They tour the world.

You definitely need to line up something to keep mind and body busy but I never thought I would be pulling a sweep in coxed 8 at 75. Like I said, whatever floats your boat but just do it. Like many retired people I feel busier now than ever and I used to be called a workaholic. That's what I call success in a new career.

Dec 13, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #5,948 of 14,566
Dec 13, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #5,950 of 14,566
Don't be daft.
It's you who's the flat earther now.
But as a professional it's better for me to stop arguing with a layman about this.
So let's keep it on audio.

Case in point.....

Dec 13, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #5,951 of 14,566
Don't be daft.
It's you who's the flat earther now.
But as a professional it's better for me to stop arguing with a layman about this.
So let's keep it on audio.
LOL...Nice dodge.

Dec 13, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #5,952 of 14,566
It's not a dodge.
It's just not smart to discuss this kind of things if the reference cadre is so different.
I shouldn't discuss neuro-science with a non medical person.
I for instance know probably nothing about your profession so how could I discuss knowledge about it with you?
It would make us a Winders and that's really not worth it.
One is enough to sicken more than a few forums.

Dec 13, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #5,953 of 14,566
I along with others have the opposite opinion. That is Winder's postings are welcomed.

Dec 13, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #5,954 of 14,566
I along with others have the opposite opinion. That is Winder's postings are welcomed.
That's not the opposite point.
I think everybody's posts, so too Winders, are welcome.
There's a difference though in motive behind ones writing as you very wel know.
Putting words in someones mouth is not OK

Dec 13, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #5,955 of 14,566
It's not a dodge.
It's just not smart to discuss this kind of things if the reference cadre is so different.
I shouldn't discuss neuro-science with a non medical person.
I for instance know probably nothing about your profession so how could I discuss knowledge about it with you?
It would make us a Winders and that's really not worth it.
One is enough to sicken more than a few forums.
Fair enough, I was unaware that I commented on neuro-science, if I did then it was unintentional. My point was that being a bully is NOT biological.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back