What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Dec 13, 2017 at 5:06 AM Post #5,911 of 14,566
I was just having a conversation with a friend on how the daily TV news is mostly commercials and reports on the latest improprieties involving the rich, famous, and celebrity types.Not a day goes by without someone or several of them and their behaviors being brought to light. It also seems that with these scenarios the accused is definitely guilty until proven innocent, and even in those rare cases where innocence may be ultimately adjudicated (whether legitimately or just for a lack of hard evidence) the stigma will never go away for that individual. I also think hard evidence is going to be hard to come by in many cases because the victims waited so many years to come forward. But with so many of those accused making public apologies its like they've pleaded guilty already. It will be (sadly) interesting to see how it all shakes out and what, if any, changes American society has to address to try to prevent these predatory type actions. They will never be completely eliminated any better than society has been able to eliminate robbery, murder, illegal drug trafficking, ...

I wonder how employers can protect themselves against these types. How much and what sorts of behavior can be addressed in an employment contract to cover on the job behavior or, in particular, behavior outside of the work place?

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #5,912 of 14,566
I wonder how employers can protect themselves against these types. How much and what sorts of behavior can be addressed in an employment contract to cover on the job behavior or, in particular, behavior outside of the work place?

The company i currently work for is a California corporation and we have statements in our employment agreements that everyone must sign that if we are involved with assaults of any kind we can be terminated without further cause. We also have regular sexual harassment training as seminars on avoiding this and other types of violence in the workplace.

Dec 13, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #5,913 of 14,566
The company i currently work for is a California corporation and we have statements in our employment agreements that everyone must sign that if we are involved with assaults of any kind we can be terminated without further cause. We also have regular sexual harassment training as seminars on avoiding this and other types of violence in the workplace.
An agreement that should be in everyone's contract.
You bully: You gone!

Dec 13, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #5,914 of 14,566
I was just having a conversation with a friend on how the daily TV news is mostly commercials and reports on the latest improprieties involving the rich, famous, and celebrity types.Not a day goes by without someone or several of them and their behaviors being brought to light. It also seems that with these scenarios the accused is definitely guilty until proven innocent, and even in those rare cases where innocence may be ultimately adjudicated (whether legitimately or just for a lack of hard evidence) the stigma will never go away for that individual. I also think hard evidence is going to be hard to come by in many cases because the victims waited so many years to come forward. But with so many of those accused making public apologies its like they've pleaded guilty already. It will be (sadly) interesting to see how it all shakes out and what, if any, changes American society has to address to try to prevent these predatory type actions. They will never be completely eliminated any better than society has been able to eliminate robbery, murder, illegal drug trafficking, ...

I've been finding out lately how prevalent rape is experienced by a girl in her childhood growing up. And it's more likely to be the older brother of a girlfriend than not, followed by family. I wonder how long it'll be before that rampant sociological behavior finally surfaces. Right now it seems mostly confined to exposing the celebrities, public officials and serial pedophiles.

Dec 13, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #5,915 of 14,566
I've been finding out lately how prevalent rape is experienced by a girl in her childhood growing up. And it's more likely to be the older brother of a girlfriend than not, followed by family. I wonder how long it'll be before that rampant sociological behavior finally surfaces. Right now it seems mostly confined to exposing the celebrities, public officials and serial pedophiles.
In the world of medical professionals it's a long known fact.

Dec 13, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #5,918 of 14,566
the answer my friends is leave the rat race to the rats. I retired in my early forties my wife same, she is 5 years younger so i had 5 glorious years alone. lol. well its been years together now still happy.

Dec 13, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #5,920 of 14,566
Yes, but doctors tend to keep mum. Especially about each other, as well as their patients.
We keep mum because of legal problems that arise when we disclose private info.
And yes I concur that there's a lot of hypocriticism there.
On the other side there are more mechanisms in place for us to take action than there where before.
Rightly so and they should be used more often.
This world which is built on abuse of power has to change.
We are slowly but steadily tearing humanity apart.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #5,921 of 14,566
Wish I had done the same but at least we finally made it,.
congrats but seriously the only way i could have seen this happening was to be shown the door in 2008. Voluntary retirement is not an easy decision and goes against several self preservation ideals as well as intrinsic and extrinsic rewards. I will tip my hat to being prepared to take the door when offered, walk through it happily.

Dec 13, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #5,922 of 14,566
We keep mum because of legal problems that arise when we disclose private info.
And yes I concur that there's a lot of hypocriticism there.
On the other side there are more mechanisms in place for us to take action than there where before.
Rightly so and they should be used more often.
This world which is built on abuse of power has to change.
We are slowly but steadily tearing humanity apart.

That I can agree with wholeheartedly. Altho sexual abuse is instinctual hardwiring that has been around forever and now needs to be unilaterally suppressed and repressed culturally to achieve any hope of success. You're fighting basic biological tendencies, and civilized behavior is a learned behavior that has no chance of headway without serious social repercussions. They say that conquerors historically were driven by sexual conquests more than anything else.

Less hopeful about society's inhumane and economic abuses by the rich and powerful. Those appear to be entrenched forever.

Dec 13, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #5,923 of 14,566
Ill take issue with sexual abuse is hard wired, well at least for other than socio alpha dogs. This isn't about going out to a bar and trying to sow some oats. This is as much to do with control and violence as anything.

Dec 13, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #5,925 of 14,566
Using a real or perceived position of authority and/or power to abuse people sexual or otherwise has nothing what so ever to do with biology.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back