What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Dec 14, 2017 at 7:57 AM Post #5,986 of 14,564
I am sure you could find something you like or hate in common. Smalahove? Lutefisk? Korean Makkali? Mid-Fi? Beats Headphones?
What's wrong with Beats? They look great. They're not for music.

I enjoyed vinkeles and la rive for dinner my last stay in Amsterdam. Even was given a free bottle of local white wine. It surprisingly not bad for a soulless wine.
It must have been soulless. Do the dutch make restaurant worthy wine?
Didn't know that.

Dec 14, 2017 at 8:19 AM Post #5,987 of 14,564
4675C3DA-7130-43D2-A140-10B6072B44EA.jpeg
Here it is the sommelier showing amsterdam only wine as I understand it. We managed to drink a third of it actually.

Dec 14, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #5,988 of 14,564
Here it is the sommelier showing amsterdam only wine as I understand it. We managed to drink a third of it actually.
Ah.. Apostelhoeve was indeed the first "serious" one to make Dutch wine.
Maastricht where they make it is a long way from Amsterdam on the Dutch/Belgian/German 3-way border.
I never had the guts to try it. But then.. I'm an Italian.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2017 at 8:54 AM Post #5,989 of 14,564
Ah, yes, that lower back business, it only hurts when I laugh now! Never considered cross-country type, never too old I guess. But I do love the change of season, prolly why I never retired to the south.
My 68 year old wife just had knee replacement in July. If we ever get snow here in Colorado we'll schuss down Vail and test it out. Man-made snow terrain and large Christmas crowds not the recipe for success. At this stage we'll wait til early January to give the knee a better shot at softer snow.

Dec 14, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #5,991 of 14,564
Mike,

I have already given in to the fact that this thread is now 70 to 80 percent owned by the good Doctor. It is his personal playground. Well, this thread and Jason's. Maybe I should just let him run me off of both threads......you seem okay with that. Thank God he is not on SBAF!

That's weird. I don't see any of these posts you mention. Oh wait... nevermind.

Dec 14, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #5,992 of 14,564
That's weird. I don't see any of these posts you mention. Oh wait... nevermind.
Yes, "ignore" is a wonderful thing. I suspect we are ignoring different posters, but that's what it is for. :)

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #5,993 of 14,564
I am somewhat surprised that there are posts referring to "the site that shall not be mentioned" that are still showing.

They tend to disappear into the ether quite quickly...

Dec 14, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #5,996 of 14,564
Need to find a way to make the chef's chocolate melt. I pulled the shot into it, at 200°, but it's still not enough to melt convincingly, nor is the steamed milk. Would spraying the small bits of chocolate with steam help the effort? I don't have a mocha, I have a latte followed by a melty chocolate bar.

Dec 14, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #5,997 of 14,564
Need to find a way to make the chef's chocolate melt. I pulled the shot into it, at 200°, but it's still not enough to melt convincingly, nor is the steamed milk. Would spraying the small bits of chocolate with steam help the effort? I don't have a mocha, I have a latte followed by a melty chocolate bar.
The beter way would be to melt it "au bain Marie".
A little pan in a bigger pan of boiling water.
au-bain-marie.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #5,999 of 14,564
Talking about me?
I do, here and there.

Don't speak for any other than yourself.

Give it a rest, Pietro.
Winder's point, and I happen to agree, that you monopolize every thread that you post on regularly. You don't have to respond to every poster.
Problem is, you've antagonized him to the point where he's turned it into a personal vendetta against you, and that's soured this thread that I used to be proud contributing to because of its creative thinkers that provoked lively discussion. There seems to be a wealth of information on tap from the pool of posters following this thread, and we have all learned from it.

Unfortunately, a lot of favorite posters of mine have disappeared since its inception as this thread seems to slip more into the baseline noise of mundane and superficial chatter typical to so many other threads, and I have conscientiously resisted following suit to date. I'm still trying to keep a hand in hoping that we can sustain that unique spark of camaraderie and exchange of interesting information.

Please don't help turn Mike's thread into a playground of petty squabbles.
-Dennis

Dec 14, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #6,000 of 14,564
OK, OK.................... Here is the Winders/Dr. P challenge: Even if you do not like each other, is it possible to find anything you have in common, or any likes or dislikes? I once worked with with someone who I thought was perhaps the most arrogant prick I had ever met. He thought I was an unfiltered ass. Although the truth was that we were probably both right, we sort of mutually discovered that we didn't have to like each other to accomplish a job we both needed to do. Years later I ran into him at a banquet where, like the scene in Patton, we toasted each other as sons of bitches, laughing as we did so. Although I still do not think I would want to go out to dinner with him, I know I could work with him again. So how about it guys? It would make this thread not just more enjoyable for me, but probably others as well. I am sure you could find something you like or hate in common. Smalahove? Lutefisk? Korean Makkali? Mid-Fi? Beats Headphones?
Well said, Sir Baldr. But...anything except Beats Headphones!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back