What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Dec 11, 2017 at 6:17 AM Post #5,896 of 14,566
Cats_Images_shadowCat.jpg

LOL! Without the insert I wouldn't have recognized it was Constanza, great make-up job for the movie.

Dec 12, 2017 at 5:08 AM Post #5,903 of 14,566
"i like my mahler yuuuuuuuuuuge"

So, are you saying you like early ("junge") Mahler but not late (5th on) Mahler, or
huge ("große")? The later most likely.

Or both? As his later (more abstract) symphonies were (relatively) compact in comparison to #2 and #3, which were more song-like, and huuuuuge!

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #5,904 of 14,566
Took some time to find one.
Here's a Sesame Street level video on tuning a piano.

The last time my piano was tuned, I knew the guy was using some kind of magical foofoo dust.
I hid the chicken bones.
But, it came out sounding much better.
Maybe I should have it tuned more often than each 20 years.

Dec 13, 2017 at 1:06 AM Post #5,905 of 14,566
The below is a few pages late, but I cannot resist:

Almost 30 years ago, when Theta Digital was my company, a customer of ours was an American conductor of sufficient renown to be the Principal Conductor one of the top US Orchestras. As well, he guest conducted at several very well known Opera venues in Europe and the US, including the Met. I used to meet him when visiting his city and when he guested in Los Angeles. As I got to know him, he shared Mr. Levine's preferences, known well to all involved with him professionally, including the Met who hired him in spite of this reputation. As a result, he required frequent intervention to prevent trouble with authorities; a slush fund had to be maintained as well to pay off victims. Pampered and spoiled, all he needed to do was to keep his smaller baton in his pants in the presence of minors. Had he managed to do so, The Met, Opera and music in general as well as the entire city of New York would have been far better places. I must wonder how many young boys now men were damaged by this man. Funny thing was that I began to separate from his recordings mentally as soon as this sunk in back then. Most shocking is that this persisted for almost 30 years!

Another Theta customer was a very famous film composer, who shared many similar sordid stories about motion picture producers, directors, and agents of all kinds who could have not continued without massive corruption.

On a related note, I read a book a year or so ago, Scoreboard Baby which chronicles the college careers of many pampered football players - Washington Huskies specifically. These players were involved in activities such as rape, armed robbery, stabbings, shootings, assault, and serial drunk/drugged driving. Funny, all they had to do was play football and show up for class and await NFL careers with millions in annual renumeration. Amazingly, most of them made it. I will still watch High School Ball because it is less corrupt; less money means less corrupt.

Which brings me to yet another reason why I like what I am doing in the business I am in. The audio business is much smaller than Motion Pictures, Classical Music, Collegiate Sports, or Professional Sports. There are no special tax situations, employment incerntives, or grants which give any state, local, or federal government or institution much of an incentive to control and keep us. The Met, The Huskies, and Warner Brothers (among many others movie studios/producers) all operate in a partnership with private, puvblic, and governmental agencies who financially to maintain status quo. Less money gives the audio biz freedom, which at my age, much I prefer to money.

Now, if we have some Schiit employee behaving as above we will find a way to get rid of him, even given California's very forgiving employment laws. We have no direct reason to keep such people for hours, much less for decades. Makes me grateful to be in a biz which lacks sufficient money to be corrupt on any other than very petty levels. Also it is much easier for me to sleep at night.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 13, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #5,906 of 14,566
Well said Sir, That is my wish for everyone, true freedom.

Dec 13, 2017 at 4:35 AM Post #5,910 of 14,566
Pampered and spoiled, all he needed to do was to keep his smaller baton in his pants in the presence of minors.
That's really disturbing.

Makes me grateful to be in a biz which lacks sufficient money to be corrupt on any other than very petty levels. Also it is much easier for me to sleep at night.
:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back