What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Dec 10, 2017 at 8:27 AM Post #5,881 of 14,566
Alcophone said:
What would be a good way to get into classical music for someone who has forgotton what little he was once taught?

Be prepared to be bored--very, very bored--for hours and hours. You often have to do the work of just listening to a piece of music over and over again until you learn to appreciate it. Then often you will love it. I did not love Wagner operas the first or even the second or third time around. Same for Brahms's symphonies. And Bruckner's. And so much other stuff, for e.g. so-called "atonal" stuff, which today I truly love. But I had to do the work. I had to allow myself to be bored by something before I found it interesting. In classical music, there's a lot to be said for familiarity since, at first, a lot of it is inaccessible and forbidding. Classical music is often not about instant gratification. Great art is not the same as entertainment (which is not to say that great art can't also be entertaining; once I fall in love with a piece, it's beyond entertaining, it becomes transcendent).

Having said that, when I first learned to appreciate classical music back in college there was stuff that I found accessible and instantly pleasing: Handel's violin sonatas, Bach's Brandenburg Concertos, Brahms' Variations on a Theme by Haydn. Back then, I would go to Borders and buy some classical music magazines that would come with CDs, which was a great way to discover new music and recordings. If those magazines are still around, I would begin there (though they aren't cheap).

I remember seeing Fantasia for the first time at age 6. The visuals that went with the music made a very strong impression on me imprinting them together in my mind. Being a budding paleontologist at that tender age with my own copy of "The Earth for Sam" given to me for Christmas that year (I still have that 1930 edition), I was particularly into the visuals and bleeding chunks pieced together from Stravinsky's "Rite" and it's conjuring of a point in time incomprehensibly long ago. I heard it complete on LP in my teenage years - "what's all the rest of this stuff!". It sounded so unlike the Beethoven, Brahms, Chopin, Bach, etc. my dad played on the piano and LP's, and I found myself waiting for those chunks to listen to and wondering what the rest of the notes were about. I was expecting something more along the lines of his "Firebird".

I heard the "Rite" performed live in my mid 20's for the first time in Philly, suddenly it all made sense. Instruments that normally carry melodies being used as if they were percussion instruments, percussion instruments providing a melodic flow, horns and woodwinds providing both and at times almost like punctuation, the crazy different simultaneous time signatures. Even the visual aspect played a part, as I viewed the stage the orchestra reminded me of observing the inner workings of a mechanical watch with springs and levers and gears all performing in unison their various functions perfectly, like a living, breathing machine. The greater the complexity the more it sucked me in. The dynamic range of the sound was unlike any reproduction system I had ever heard, (or would ever hear to this day). From that point on I got it.

I bought and heard my first Mahler (the 2nd) at age 26/27. Based on the album cover picture and a recommendation from a knowledgeable sale clerk at the record store (with very few exceptions these don't exist anymore, the stores or the clerks) after my telling him I was satiated with the Beethoven and Brahms stuff. It was Eugene Ormandy and the Philadelphia Orchestra (recorded 1970). My musical world was well and truly "rocked" and I was never the same after that, seeing it performed live the following year branded me a dedicated Mahlerite! Can't tell you how over the moon I was to obtain a CD copy (to add to 2 dozen other's I have) of this performance on a specialty Japanese label pressing a few years back, even has the original artwork.

Pop music figured heavily during the late 1950's for me, especially the "Rock-a-billy" and "Motown" stuff. It was always easy for me to come to a thumbs up/down decision fast on these 3 to 4 minute songs. ("It had a good beat and was easy to dance to, I give it a 95, Dick!") But it was in college with the "Airplane" "The Doors" and other metal guitar oriented groups that followed that I got hooked into that genre and it's (seemingly to me) greater complexity and richer sound. But I continued to listen to classical and pop side by side for a number of years. Somewhere along the way (70's, 80's?) pop music became too pretty-fied, cute-sy for my taste and the last 20 or 30 years or so it all became too overproduced and lost it's edge, and all same sounding to me. "Drive by Truckers-Decoration Day" was my last purchase in that genre. Over the past 2 decades Jazz has become of greater interest for me although classical and the late romantics and Impressionists in particular are still my musical meat and potatoes.

My experiences over 7 decades with music have taught me that I never know when something will "click". I revisited many composers (like Schoenberg and Berg) that didn't initially speak to me but eventually started to make sense and provide enjoyment, especially with the right conductors interpretation and musicians performance. (Although Verdi has just never made the cut for me, but my opera likes are fairly rigid and limited to just a handful of composers with a very few one-offs.) I never thought of the time spent re-listening as a second job, more a labor of love. Reading about the music and it's composer sometimes illuminated aspects that help me to understand where he was coming from and why, and what he is attempting to convey, be it programmatically or in abstraction.

It's about the journey.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #5,885 of 14,566
What would be a good way to get into classical music for someone who has forgotton what little he was once taught?

For me it started in Jr. High School, I started with Tchaikovsky's Overture 1812, which lead to his other works, then moved on to Bach, Beethoven, Mussorgsky, Stravinsky's The Firebird etc... 25+ years later I still find myself listening to Overture 1812 and The Firebird on a weekly basis.

Dec 10, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #5,886 of 14,566
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I have a lot of listening to do, and am looking forward to it. As I am writing this, Beethoven's 5th (Wiener Philharmoniker / Carlos Kleiber) is flooding my living room with sound. Let's see how I feel in a month or two.

Dec 10, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #5,887 of 14,566
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I have a lot of listening to do, and am looking forward to it. As I am writing this, Beethoven's 5th (Wiener Philharmoniker / Carlos Kleiber) is flooding my living room with sound. Let's see how I feel in a month or two.

If that is the 1974 Deutsche Grammophon recording, you are listening to my favorite version of Beethoven's 5th! Carlos Kleiber also has a fantastic Beethoven's 7th with the same label and orchestra recorded in 1975.

I think that Rimsky-Korsokov's "Scheherazade" is a great piece to listen to as well. I prefer the Fritz Reiner/Chicago Symphony Orchestra/RCA version recorded in 1960. In fact, this is my favorite symphony.

Dec 10, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #5,889 of 14,566
Be prepared to be bored--very, very bored--for hours and hours. You often have to do the work of just listening to a piece of music over and over again until you learn to appreciate it. Then often you will love it. I did not love Wagner operas the first or even the second or third time around. Same for Brahms's symphonies. And Bruckner's. And so much other stuff, for e.g. so-called "atonal" stuff, which today I truly love. But I had to do the work. I had to allow myself to be bored by something before I found it interesting. In classical music, there's a lot to be said for familiarity since, at first, a lot of it is inaccessible and forbidding. Classical music is often not about instant gratification. Great art is not the same as entertainment (which is not to say that great art can't also be entertaining; once I fall in love with a piece, it's beyond entertaining, it becomes transcendent).

Having said that, when I first learned to appreciate classical music back in college there was stuff that I found accessible and instantly pleasing: Handel's violin sonatas, Bach's Brandenburg Concertos, Brahms' Variations on a Theme by Haydn. Back then, I would go to Borders and buy some classical music magazines that would come with CDs, which was a great way to discover new music and recordings. If those magazines are still around, I would begin there (though they aren't cheap).

I bought the Böhm ring in high school (my first) and only listened to excerpts probably for six or seven years before stomaching listening to the whole thing. It wasn't until I could put it on the stereo in the weekend pad all day as I pursued the teaching credential, cooked, and surfed the web that I was able to "screw my courage to the sticking place" and get through the ring in its entirety.

I had acquired probably half a dozen rings before listening to any of them all the way through. The Ring is not junior varsity.

Dec 10, 2017 at 10:46 PM Post #5,891 of 14,566
My Yggdrasil suddenly doesn't see any of the digital inputs. Anyone ever heard of this problem?

I'm not really looking for support here - I know that's not the purpose of this forum. If anyone has had the same problem, please PM me.

The repair journey begins, I guess.

Dec 10, 2017 at 11:46 PM Post #5,892 of 14,566
Did you try turning off the power for 30 seconds or so and powering it back on? I bet you did....but I thought I would ask anyway.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2017 at 5:42 AM Post #5,895 of 14,566
Cats_Images_shadowCat.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back