What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Dec 7, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #5,851 of 14,566
I am killing myself here about Eitr / Gen 5 for my Gumby. One one hand it would seem to be the right thing to go Gen 5. $100 for self install is a no brained. I have been working on electronics/computers since the 286 days. Then I look at the instructions and see 37 screws and LED alignment, then I'm like Schiit install. Damn, that means time away from Gumby. So maybe Eitr. It's close enough right? Now my MicroRendu is truly a transport (coax), but that is an extra cable to obsess about and an extra power cord. Back to the beginning and repeat.

Self install Gen 5 in Gumby is easy. Did it in 40 mins. Instructions are out there on the interwebs. I've only worked on PC innards myself, back to 386 days. It was easy (as long as you follow the instructions.)

Only reason to go with Eitr is if you want to apply to other DACs. Otherwise, Gen 5 self-install all the way.

Dec 7, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #5,853 of 14,566
ethics of availing myself of levine CDs on ebay for cheap: discuss.

Wagner was a great composer of music but as a human being he had many despicable traits. Yet his music endured. It may have suffered a decline or hiatus worldwide during WWII, but came back strong as ever after. And with the development of the LP and subsequent digital media he is probably more popular than ever and available to a much wider audience than ever before.

I'm fairly certain Jimmy is not the first nor will be the last conductor with issues. And remember, he's only the conductor. It's the orchestra musicians and singers who actually make the music we hear.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #5,854 of 14,566
I went through the same process with my Yggdrasil. It was Gen 3 USB and I bought an Eitr because I did not want to hassle with the upgrade. I was biding my time looking for a Roon endpoint with AES3 out that I actually liked and felt was priced appropriately. Well, that search didn't go well. When I went with an ultraRendu for my Roon endpoint, I decided it was time to clean up my USB chain so I ordered the Gen 5 USB upgrade for my Yggdrasil. It was easy to install. My ultraRendu to DAC chain sure got simplified! And, it sounds a bit better without Eitr too.

Dec 7, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #5,855 of 14,566
The orchestra in particular is going through PTSD and will for some time. The atmosphere is one of cataclysmic betrayal.

Dec 7, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #5,856 of 14,566
Eitr is a "holy crap" upgrade for me, and I'm sure Gen 5 would be as well. I am very happy. It makes my Gungnir MB/Mjolnir 2/Mr. Speakers Ether C rig sound like I upgraded everything.

Dec 8, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #5,860 of 14,566
Eitr is a "holy crap" upgrade for me, and I'm sure Gen 5 would be as well. I am very happy. It makes my Gungnir MB/Mjolnir 2/Mr. Speakers Ether C rig sound like I upgraded everything.
And when Loki Maxi comes along you will have reason rejoice some more. :beyersmile:

Dec 8, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #5,862 of 14,566
I did my Gen 5 upgrade on Yggdrasil. If you have experience working on electronics and you're slow and careful, it's not hard. Just take your time because the way Yggy is assembled is a bit different.

Integrated Gen 5 has got to be better, IMHO.
I'll probably eventually do that, but right now I'm not using USB in by Yggdrasils and the Eitr to Gungnir MB sounds fantastic.

Dec 8, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #5,864 of 14,566
Not sure this is the thread for that question but I have the same question. Be careful if you try it. Every time I try to move my iTunes library it recopies it back to the original place even when I have checked the options that say not to do that. I don't even use the iTunes library anyway. Between Roon, Audirvana, and NUC ROCK it just isn't necessary.

Dec 8, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #5,865 of 14,566
What're the merits, if any, of keeping an iTunes library stored on a computer internally rather than externally?
The data stream is more likely to stutter on USB based storage.

Both latency and bandwidth are worse via USB than an internal drive. If you want to improve performance even further, use one drive for OS and one for data.

I am not a mac person (I am far too cheap), but if you have an e-sata connection, it is equivalent to internal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back