What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Dec 5, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #5,838 of 14,566
Dec 5, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #5,839 of 14,566
Dec 6, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #5,842 of 14,566
I just received my Eitr. Replaced the Wyrd and now using S/PDIF into the Gungnir Multibit. A noticeable improvement in overall clarity, noise and (it seems by ear) dynamic range. Much nicer now.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #5,843 of 14,566
I just received my Eitr. Replaced the Wyrd and now using S/PDIF into the Gungnir Multibit. A noticeable improvement in overall clarity, noise and (it seems by ear) dynamic range. Much nicer now.
I’m still giddy with the results of Gen5 in my Gungnir Multibit and even found myself repositioning the speakers and retuning the sub. Having had no complaint before the upgrade I’m still astounded by it.

Dec 6, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #5,844 of 14,566
I’m still giddy with the results of Gen5 in my Gungnir Multibit and even found myself repositioning the speakers and retuning the sub. Having had no complaint before the upgrade I’m still astounded by it.
Yea, I didn't want to send mine in for the Gen 5 update, so Eitr for me. It's really a noticeable upgrade.

Dec 6, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #5,845 of 14,566
Eitr into Gumby was an audible upgrade for me as well. I prefer the versatility of being able to use Eitr on any USB connected DAC. I don't have a Gen5 Gungnir MB to compare with but I find it hard to believe those who claim it sounds even better than Eitr. Not really arguing with someone who has heard something I haven't, it's just hard to believe that the USB input is so bad that even another level of audible improvement is possible. It's also hard to understand mechanistically since Eitr and Gen5 are the same circuit design aren't they? I'm open to having it explained to me why the two might be different. Any ideas?

Dec 6, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #5,846 of 14,566
Eitr into Gumby was an audible upgrade for me as well. I prefer the versatility of being able to use Eitr on any USB connected DAC. I don't have a Gen5 Gungnir MB to compare with but I find it hard to believe those who claim it sounds even better than Eitr. Not really arguing with someone who has heard something I haven't, it's just hard to believe that the USB input is so bad that even another level of audible improvement is possible. It's also hard to understand mechanistically since Eitr and Gen5 are the same circuit design aren't they? I'm open to having it explained to me why the two might be different. Any ideas?

I think gen 5 has the advantage of plugging right into the board. Plus Eitr must convert to coax and then you have to add that extra connection in. I wouldn't loose sleep about it but I was surprised. Yggy is better with Gen 5 board. So I ordered in a couple more boards and installed Gen 5 in Gumby and Bimby and didn't bother to try Eitr with them. So is the delta the same? Don't know. Maybe it's only noticable with Yggy. Also I find this kind of thing more noticable in a 2 channel setup than with headphones. If you want to try Gadget Eitr should come in handy. And it's more versatile. They are both winners for their intended purpose.

Eitr way they are both stellar! What an upgrade.

Dec 6, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #5,847 of 14,566
Turntable addiction leads to monstrosities like this little gem from TriangleArt. Just say no. :)

Triangle_art_master_reference_turntable_hifi_news_oct_2017_ol.jpg
I remember Demi Moore using that in Ghost.

Dec 7, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #5,849 of 14,566
I am killing myself here about Eitr / Gen 5 for my Gumby. One one hand it would seem to be the right thing to go Gen 5. $100 for self install is a no brained. I have been working on electronics/computers since the 286 days. Then I look at the instructions and see 37 screws and LED alignment, then I'm like Schiit install. Damn, that means time away from Gumby. So maybe Eitr. It's close enough right? Now my MicroRendu is truly a transport (coax), but that is an extra cable to obsess about and an extra power cord. Back to the beginning and repeat.

Dec 7, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #5,850 of 14,566
I am killing myself here about Eitr / Gen 5 for my Gumby. One one hand it would seem to be the right thing to go Gen 5. $100 for self install is a no brained. I have been working on electronics/computers since the 286 days. Then I look at the instructions and see 37 screws and LED alignment, then I'm like Schiit install. Damn, that means time away from Gumby. So maybe Eitr. It's close enough right? Now my MicroRendu is truly a transport (coax), but that is an extra cable to obsess about and an extra power cord. Back to the beginning and repeat.
I did a similar thought process and finally said "Eitr it is."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back