What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Dec 2, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #5,806 of 14,566
Need a balanced loki and the gadget to release.. In black to match muy yggy and rag. Although I guess I could run loki as dual mono and just deal with channel matching.

Fingers crossed interest in those two devices is high so that continued development is warranted.

Dec 2, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #5,807 of 14,566
TT status. Funny you should ask now. Earlier today (still before midnight here as I write) the first cast articles appeared from the over 500 pounds of tooling we just bought; the platter and the plinth. Still a couple of minor things to adjust (some excess flash and a finish machine print). The platter is nearly dead – no ring, just a quiet clunk as you nearly bruise your knuckle. Having these parts is really the step 0. Now we get the rest of the stuff made and make sure it fits. The engineering is finished, that is unless we need to adjust something. The only exception is the arm, for which we had to change the arm tube material to a slightly different cf material pulstrusion which would could be cut with a longer tool life. Enclosed is a pic of the final arm. We only await prints from Conrad on that. Enclosed is a pic.

Yep, we just got some first articles off of the tool a few days ago. These still need edge machining and finishing, but you get the idea...

Mike or Jason, could you give us a rough estimate for the weight of the main Sol parts (platter and plinth - and perhaps the arm too, if the one shown in Baldr's picture is the (close-to-)final version)?
Thanks!

EDIT: I forgot to specify that my request was about the weight of the turntable and its parts. Thanks, Pietro, for pointing that out!

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #5,809 of 14,566
Turntable addiction leads to monstrosities like this little gem from TriangleArt. Just say no. :)

Triangle_art_master_reference_turntable_hifi_news_oct_2017_ol.jpg

Dec 2, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #5,812 of 14,566
A strange little oddity just crossed my desk. I attempted to purchase the famous Bohm/Windgassen/Nilsson Tristan from 1962, in which the principals sound fresher than in 66 and Bohm's conducting is less manic. By mistake, the third party seller sent me the 1957 florentine Tristan with Rodzinsky conducting. The sound is not bad! Mono, of course, but better than Bayreuth Ring of the same year. Crisp and clear. Sawallisch led Nilsson and Windgassen at Bayreuth on July 23, 1957, for what was both of their second recorded Tristan (notwithstanding excerpts that Windgassen did with Mödl five years earlier — which I have and which are brilliant). This Florence performance, on May 21 (the day before Wagner's birthday), is the first.

First impressions? Nilsson's voice cuts like a knife. Windgassen sounds a lot less like a broken old man than he does in 1966.

They refunded me the money and told me to "keep or recycle" the discs. RECYCLE? BARBARIANS!

Dec 2, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #5,813 of 14,566
A strange little oddity just crossed my desk. I attempted to purchase the famous Bohm/Windgassen/Nilsson Tristan from 1962, in which the principals sound fresher than in 66 and Bohm's conducting is less manic. By mistake, the third party seller sent me the 1957 florentine Tristan with Rodzinsky conducting. The sound is not bad! Mono, of course, but better than Bayreuth Ring of the same year. Crisp and clear. Sawallisch led Nilsson and Windgassen at Bayreuth on July 23, 1957, for what was both of their second recorded Tristan (notwithstanding excerpts that Windgassen did with Mödl five years earlier — which I have and which are brilliant). This Florence performance, on May 21 (the day before Wagner's birthday), is the first.

First impressions? Nilsson's voice cuts like a knife. Windgassen sounds a lot less like a broken old man than he does in 1966.

They refunded me the money and told me to "keep or recycle" the discs. RECYCLE? BARBARIANS!

Sounds like a win / win for you. Now all you have to do is find a copy of the real Bohm/Windgassen/Nilsson Tristan from 1962.

Dec 3, 2017 at 2:24 AM Post #5,815 of 14,566

Barbarians indeed.
The record you got is probably a real good one to set in a Verdi pitch with The Gadget and put to digital.

Dec 3, 2017 at 2:27 AM Post #5,816 of 14,566
TT status. Funny you should ask now. Earlier today (still before midnight here as I write) the first cast articles appeared from the over 500 pounds of tooling we just bought; the platter and the plinth. Still a couple of minor things to adjust (some excess flash and a finish machine print). The platter is nearly dead – no ring, just a quiet clunk as you nearly bruise your knuckle. Having these parts is really the step 0. Now we get the rest of the stuff made and make sure it fits. The engineering is finished, that is unless we need to adjust something. The only exception is the arm, for which we had to change the arm tube material to a slightly different cf material pulstrusion which would could be cut with a longer tool life. Enclosed is a pic of the final arm. We only await prints from Conrad on that. Enclosed is a pic.

Adjusting the arm took quite a bit of time even for Conrad, since there was a 5% mass difference in the tube. He constructed a spreadsheet which had a range of 70 different carts dimensions and masses, moments of inertia of the arm, required counterweight (lateral and vertical) distance from pivots and masses to arrive at an optimum design center. He walks the line between genius and psychotically driven. God help us all. I had no idea what pultrustion was a year ago. Ahhhhhhh, analog.

The arm looks great. How easy will it be to adjust VTA and azimuth? Will its effective mass be better suited to high or low compliance cartridges?

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2017 at 3:15 AM Post #5,817 of 14,566
This is a chaotic post but I don't want to triple post so bear with me. What is VTA? I'm assuming it isn't the Silicon Valley Transit Authority.

So apparently the HE-1 uses eight ESS SABRE ES9018 chips. How do these chips stack up against multibit chips? Does using eight somehow help?

Just got back from girls of teh golden west. It takes Louise Clappe's letters from circa the gold rush and attempts to make them into an opera about the gold rush from a female perspective. Peter Sellars wrote teh libretto. John Adams wrote the music. The music is fine. The libretto is an unmitigated catastrophe from beginning to end.

First: It does not tell a story. It has no plot. It moves from episode to episode without integrating them into an organic whole. The whole is less than the sum of the parts. There are some nice moments, but they do not fit into a story. There is no "ordinary life" no rising action, no conflict, no climax, no denouement.

Second: It is not a drama. It's travelogue set to music. People reciting dame shirley's letters is not the same as people living out the events contained therein.

Third: When it wasn't travelogue, it was didacticism explaining, as if to a child, that yes racism and sexism made people who weren't white men live distinctly less privileged lives in the mid nineteenth century. What a hot take! However, I am dismayed that representing less-privileged groups was done so ineffectively. One does not interrupt Othello for an Angela Davis speech. Likewise, one should not set a WEB Du Bois essay to music (here I do a disservice to Mr DuBois, who undoubtedly could have written a far superior libretto) and stick it in a drama in which it serves no dramatic purpose. The liberal white guilt was so clearly apparent and so ineptly conveyed, I groaned throughout. It was three hours and a quarter, plus the intermission. It could have been five hours or forty five minutes. It wouldn't have changed the experience.

The Chronicle nailed it in its review.

http://www.sfchronicle.com/music/article/With-Girls-S-F-Opera-pans-for-gold-and-12378363.php?utm_campaign=twitter-premium&utm_source=CMS Sharing Button&utm_medium=social

Interestingly, the Exterminating Angel music was much less engaging than Adams's (also a very talky libretto) but the story was at least coherent and involving. Neither would I see again though. It's dispiriting because I'm in principle excited about contemporary opera. The problem is that so much of it is just so bad. Maybe I should establish myself as the Metastasio of the c21.

Did you hear that? It was James Levine's career.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2017 at 7:27 AM Post #5,819 of 14,566
This is a chaotic post but I don't want to triple post so bear with me. What is VTA? I'm assuming it isn't the Silicon Valley Transit Authority.

With respect to TT's and vinyl I always took it to mean Vertical Tracking Angle. Record grooves are cut at a specific angle / shape. The cartridge stylus is shaped to make contact with the walls of the groove to mimic that angle / shape to turn the little waves cut into the groove wall into motion that the cartridge (moving coil or moving magnet) then turns into a minute electrical signal for further amplification by the preamps phono board section. The position of the tone arms pivot point height determines whether that stylus is sitting at the correct angle to make maximum wall contact; is it straight up and down, or tilted forward, tilted backward? Other adjustments also come into play to get the best possible translation of the groove wall information into that electrical signal.

It's one of the several interactive adjustments included in "The Ceremony of the Vinyl", which also includes adjusting for anti-skate, horizontal tracking angle, stylus down force weight...

There are books I remember reading decades ago that explain it all it and in much better detail than I can. I'm sure you can find this info on the web as well with illustrations to make it more readily understood.

(And, Jimmy? Sheesh).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back