What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Oct 17, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #5,116 of 14,564
dreamt about the gadget again...can't wait to take delivery of it in 2018.

The OPPO dvd/blu ray/cd player has an HDMI in. It also has a gigabit ethernet in. My MacBook Pro has an HDMI out.

How would you rank these in terms of sound:
(1) MBP -> HDMI -> OPPO -> Coax -> Bimby
(2) MBP -> Ethernet -> OPPO -> Coax -> Bimby
(3) MBP -> EITR -> Bimby
in case I hate myself
(4) MBP -> optical -> Bimby?

I think I know the answer. Unfortunately it makes me want a digital coax SYS...

Oct 17, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #5,117 of 14,564
What struck me most was:

The king's chamber is a lonely, dark, and silent place.

That is why they should have tuned that sucker to 256Hz instead.
It would have been a warm, lively room full of music!
And to know it's called "The kings chamber" but not a tomb at all.
It's a giant DAC from one of Mike's ancestors.
The "sarcophagus" is the lunchbox from Giant Constanza, a few meters down the road, left there to cool.

Oct 17, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #5,118 of 14,564
...Mike considered it a bug and devoted his engineering time to revise the software to take care of the bug and rolled it into production.

No. Mike did not consider it a bug. He "fixed" it so that anyone measuring the DACs would not see the "notch" and wrongly focus on it as an issue.

Oct 17, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #5,122 of 14,564
I think it lost me at "heart chakra vortex".

If googling for bioenergy transformative DNA and kundalini activations is wrong, I don't want to be right.
Just kick back and listen to this
cover.jpg

Oct 17, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #5,124 of 14,564
Last edited:
Oct 17, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #5,126 of 14,564
dreamt about the gadget again...can't wait to take delivery of it in 2018.

The OPPO dvd/blu ray/cd player has an HDMI in. It also has a gigabit ethernet in. My MacBook Pro has an HDMI out.

How would you rank these in terms of sound:
(1) MBP -> HDMI -> OPPO -> Coax -> Bimby
(2) MBP -> Ethernet -> OPPO -> Coax -> Bimby
(3) MBP -> EITR -> Bimby
in case I hate myself
(4) MBP -> optical -> Bimby?

I think I know the answer. Unfortunately it makes me want a digital coax SYS...
I am using this path...MBP - USB - Gen 5 - GMB.
The SQ is great.

Same as your #3 w/o the extra connections.

I haven't tested #1 or #2.
My backup is your #4 that sounds OK but not as good as the Gen 5 USB.

Hope this helps!
RCB

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #5,127 of 14,564
Amazing where stuff I read here pops up again:

The king's chamber is a lonely, dark, and silent place. It measures 10.47 metres (34.4 ft) from east to west and 5.234 metres (17.17 ft) north to south. It has a flat roof 5.974 metres (19.60 ft) above the floor and is entirely faced with granite. The only object in it is a rectangular granite "sarcophagus".
Apart from a 13 second reverb tail several remarkable resonances can be heard that are connected to 432 Hz, the fundamental of Stellar's native and ultimately natural tone scale and of this Universe.
An interesting way to "experience" this IR of the Kings Chamber is to retune your music and instruments to concert A pitch A = 432Hz and then the true resonance of this ancient chamber can be brought to life for your musical creations.
As can be appreciated in these impulse responses The King's chamber resonates very strongly to an F# chord, and the Kings Chamber coffer resonates to A, which is the Minor third of F-sharp. 729hz and its octaves are the big notes: it is a perfect F-sharp when A is tuned to 432hz. However the modern well tempered F-sharp of 740 Hz (A=440 Hz) is close enough to also bring the room to resonate, especially two octaves down at 185 Hz.

This is about the kings chamber of the great pyramid of Gizeh ofcourse.
(And in no way do I claim this to be science of any kind. No idea if it even is a proven thing or not.)

Cheops Thrills. :upside_down:

Oct 17, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #5,128 of 14,564
+1 on Skroweczewski for a complete Bruckner cycle.

Just my opinion of course, but...

I cannot even listen seriously to any other Bruckner symphonies than Haitink. His Concertgebouw recordings on Philips seem to be the only one that understand what Bruckner was writing. Especially in terms of rhythm.

YMMV.

Oct 17, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #5,129 of 14,564
It should be possible to capture the Gadget's digital output in FLAC form, so that everyone can get an idea of the effect.

There is software available that will do that. For example, if you have Jriver Media Center, the DSP page has "Tempo & Pitch".

I have not checked, but I am sure there is a free plugin for the foobar2000 free music player that will do the same thing.

What Mike stated is the reason for The Gadget is that all those software methods "sound like a** " so Schiit developed something that does the same thing with audiophile quality sound.

But you can test the idea with any digital Tempo/Pitch plugin or software.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2017 at 11:57 PM Post #5,130 of 14,564
I think it lost me at "heart chakra vortex".

If googling for bioenergy transformative DNA and kundalini activations is wrong, I don't want to be right.
I lost it when they claimed that green light is 528 nanometers which is a harmonic of 528 Hz. Apparently the difference between wavelength and frequency was lost on that spiritual fellow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back