What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Jun 20, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #3,721 of 14,566
Is this a schiit thread? did I miss something

Jun 20, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #3,722 of 14,566
Jun 20, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #3,724 of 14,566
Does either of the Oppo DVD/blu ray players have AES/EBU? I only see optical and coax. Though they do have "universal disc playback" which I assume means all regions. I might buy the cheaper one—and Emotiva's CD transport, if I ever get Yggy and its AES/EBU magic.

Jun 20, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #3,725 of 14,566
Does either of the Oppo DVD/blu ray players have AES/EBU? I only see optical and coax. Though they do have "universal disc playback" which I assume means all regions. I might buy the cheaper one—and Emotiva's CD transport, if I ever get Yggy and its AES/EBU magic.

No AES/EBU digital out on the Oppos. Your probably going to have to get a dedicated CD disc spinner and separate BRD player. It would also appear from my searches that AES/EBU digital outs are getting rarer. However, as I hear it, coax done right is so close as to make me not want to do a blind A/B comparison and choose which is which.

Jun 20, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #3,726 of 14,566
Just sent you a PM to check out.

Jun 20, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #3,727 of 14,566

No AES/EBU out on Oppos. From checking around a few weeks back it seems AES/EBU digital out are getting rarer.
My Oppos were never region free, not sure about the new ones. But "universal Disc" may refer to formats, not world-wide regions.
FWIW; Coax done right sounds so close to AES/EBU I wouldn't want to pick which is which in a blind A/B. And who knows what this Gaget MP thing will turn out to be capable of.

EDIT: DOH! Double post, thought I lost the initial response.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #3,728 of 14,566
Thanks for the PM. I'll have a look once I return for Europe; I'm probably going to get the CD player only once I've secured a solid 2-channel system, which most notably is lacking the speakers and the Yggy.

Just added my twitter to my signature, in case anyone is dreadfully curious about the detailed goings on of my tour.

Jun 20, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #3,729 of 14,566
... Though they do have "universal disc playback" which I assume means all regions....

I think "universal disc playback" refers to format, CD, SACD, DVD, BD, DVD-A etc. When I was looking at the 203 it appeared there was a separate "Region free" model and also "Region free" upgrade options.

Is this a schiit thread? did I miss something

It's not a Schiit thread, it's a Mike Moffat thread.

Jun 20, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #3,730 of 14,566

Just added my twitter to my signature, in case anyone is dreadfully curious about the detailed goings on of my tour.

The food pictures are killing me as I sit here listening to the carousel in my microwave nuke a plastic tray of something. Waiting for the bell, but never saved by it.

Jun 20, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #3,732 of 14,566
Well, WRT to "universal disc playback", @jimmers already said what I wanted to say myself too. As to the AES/EBU output, I'd suggest to take Jason's recent advice :wink::
With respect to USB/SPDIF nervosa:
[...]
3. If, after getting a great DAC, you decide you absolutely, positively have to try some kind of decrapifier/converter, it's probably best to wait a bit before spending tons of money...just saying...

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #3,734 of 14,566
Mike,

You have said in the past you look forward to hearing from us out here what it is that we really want...you have said that the audio consumer out here will tell the market what it wants by their purchases etc...

So this end user wants to tell you that the stuff I buy has to enhance the audio experience in a meaningful and cost effective or affordable way. The "stuff" IMO has to have a distinct positive audible affect on the "experience"..The stuff should make the sound be clearer, more open, allow for us to hear all thats there in a recording, be easy to setup and operate.

I think for the most part you guys and gals at Schiit have done a marvelous job in accomplishing this...a no BS way to provide good stuff , that makes the audio experience a positive one.

Recently I added a bimby to my "stuff" and it made a postive audible difference, and I thank you for that. I have built many DIY amps and have several dacs (all DS )...and this is the first dac that I have or piece of "stuff" that really makes the audio experience much better than any other stuff I have or had.

This is a good thing...$600 is a lot of money for me...but after many years of sitting on the bench I spent the bucks and got one...now as a testament to how good it is to "ME" is I wished I had done it sooner...

I like many keep searching for the "stuff" but often forget the music that makes this "stuff" special and for the past three days I havent stopped just listening!!!! Its that good to me.

So when you think up more "stuff" for us to ponder over, please remember it has to improve or make better the end user audio experience....dont care about the color, bells, lights, buzzers...keep it simple, make it good, be honest...

All the best
Alex

Jun 25, 2017 at 7:20 AM Post #3,735 of 14,566
First a broken banjo, then a broken finger this must be the 'point of no return'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back