What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Jun 19, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #3,706 of 14,566
Probably one of the OPPO models. For two channel audio, though, I'd still route it through my Gumby.

JC

I agree, Oppo has been my player of choice since the early days of DVD only. Currently I'm using the 105D (now discontinued) in my home theater, very pleased with the video quality. As JohhnyCanuck suggests, I would run digital out (Coaxial/Optical Audio: up to 2ch/192kHz PCM) from the Oppo (the 203 should be all you need) to your Schiit DAC of choice. Maybe this DSP (?) thingy Mike is working on could be of benefit in between the Oppo and Schiit DAC if/when it gets introduced. Time will tell.

Jun 19, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #3,707 of 14,566
I run a coax out from an OPPO BDP-93 into my Yggy. I can even make DVD-A's using 24/192 files if I need and play them perfectly on this system. Redbook, Hi-Res, even video- everything goes into Yggy, everything comes out as Bliss.

Jun 19, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #3,708 of 14,566
A week? No. The Yggdrasil should reach full thermal stability in 72 hours or less. People claiming a week or even 30 days as I've read here are hearing phantoms in their system.

Not true. My Ygg came on-line in like 156 hours. Almost a week. It's distinct and rewarding. I've got the number written around here someplace... :wink:

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #3,709 of 14,566
A week? No. The Yggdrasil should reach full thermal stability in 72 hours or less. People claiming a week or even 30 days as I've read here are hearing phantoms in their system.

Not true. My Ygg came on-line in like 156 hours. Almost a week. It's distinct and rewarding. I've got the number written around here someplace... :wink:

I'm with you, jacal01! Mine got better and worse in the first 100 hours. Was better in the second 100 hours. It finally settled down and stayed consistent at around 250 to 300 hours. Now I can turn it off and back on and within 48 hours it is back to nominal.

Jun 19, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #3,710 of 14,566
wow that seems like a lot of work and variability. my dac and amp played well from the get go and i think nothing of turning them off and listening the next time they are on.

Jun 19, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #3,711 of 14,566
wow that seems like a lot of work and variability. my dac and amp played well from the get go and i think nothing of turning them off and listening the next time they are on.

That's okay. I prefer having a DAC I really like that takes about 48 hours to warm up to a DAC that warms up fast but I don't like warm or cold....

Jun 19, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #3,712 of 14,566

I may be missing something, but it seems to me more kinetic energy is expended turning a DAC on and of instead of just leaving it on all the time.

Jun 20, 2017 at 4:41 AM Post #3,713 of 14,566
That's okay. I prefer having a DAC I really like that takes about 48 hours to warm up to a DAC that warms up fast but I don't like warm or cold....
Are you certain these objectives are mutually exclusive?

Jun 20, 2017 at 4:48 AM Post #3,714 of 14,566
I may be missing something, but it seems to me more kinetic energy is expended turning a DAC on and of instead of just leaving it on all the time.
I'm unceratain of the benefits/ or wear of leaving components on 24/7, but I do know that the designers of my gear state there is no harm to turning off your components and no benefit in not doing this.
Granted I didn't mean to bring in the burn in or brain burn debate nor the time of day in listening benefits.... understand tubes are a different matter concerning warm up.
It just seems like a lot of moving parts are being introduced into what one may consider ideal listening conditions is all. I don't find these issues exist for me, granted I'm unsure if my level of utility is the same as new as I do seem to appreciate my system more and more with time...

Jun 20, 2017 at 4:59 AM Post #3,715 of 14,566

Are you certain these objectives are mutually exclusive?

When the DACs are the Yggdrasil and the HugoTT, yes they are.....

Jun 20, 2017 at 5:20 AM Post #3,716 of 14,566
When the DACs are the Yggdrasil and the HugoTT, yes they are.....

While your preference for distortion may be a mitigating factor, I don't disagree with how you feel, preference are realities for each individual. Enjoy

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #3,717 of 14,566
WP_20170620_11_37_39_Rich.jpg
So now that I have this Bimby and have conversed in other sites on the merits of PCM, FLAC, via Digital, coax and optical vs PC USB2.0...I put together my
in-home test and invited several people over to test them!!

(I like these real world sessions where we discuss the merits of each and then "listen" with knowing what the sources are and then I do a Blind test with the group and see if they really can hear what they are talking about!

Well hooked up to my Oppo modified old BD 83 Special Edition, I had both digital outputs going into the Bimby and a USB to a PC with Flac files.

Once I got them synched up the fun started....

With the switch on the front of the bimby it was easy to switch quickly between the three.

The results were interesting:

At first when one listened for 30 seconds or so I switched to the next source input...most all immediately said "the other one" real fast....but then after 30 seconds or so it was harder for anyone to tell good or bad.

When someone said the other one I hid the selection switch and moved around and even set them up by saying it was this one right...and they said "Yes!" but then I told them it was not the one etc....more smiles..

The end result of a nice Glass Optical digital cable, a great Coax digital cable and a good quality well known USB cable to a "noisy" PC with all its RFI, digital clocks spewing out RF etc....was that no-one could reliably tell the difference in any of the three.

Mike Moffat at Schiit prefers PCM to Digital out etc....and I understand the technical reasons etc...but in my real world its really close..and to most a "dont care".

But its fun to play and test and have a few laughs...

Next we will do the same with a bunch of dacs and see if "bimby" works as well as I think it "sounds"..

All the best
Alex

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #3,718 of 14,566

Then end result of a nice Glass Optical digital cable, a great Coax digital cable and a good quality well known USB cable to a "noisy" PC with all its RFI, digital clocks spewing out RF etc....was that no-one could reliably tell the difference in any of the three.

Mike Moffet at Schiit prefers PCM to Digital out etc....and I understand the technical reasons etc...but in my real world its really close..and to most a "dont care".

Sounds like you guys had fun! I did a similar test when I first got my Bifrost: CD via coax vs laptop via USB and later laptop 1 via optical vs laptop 2 via USB and I couldn't hear any differences. I understand that there may be technical reasons to favor one type of connection over another but for me there is no meaningful audible difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back