What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Jun 25, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #3,736 of 14,565
Are you having your launches/dinners at Italian restaurants while in London? :wink:

I love italian food but most of my twitter food pics are my own cooking. I'm staying at a lovely house off Berkeley Square, and the kitchen is excellent.

Jun 26, 2017 at 5:25 AM Post #3,737 of 14,565
Had the great pleasure of seeing Janacek's Jenufa last Friday night at Grange Park Opera at West Horsley Place in Surrey. The title role was well sung, and both tenors were good, but it was really the mother that stole the show for me. Unlike Tosca, who couldn't act at all, I was utterly enthralled by the woman's transformation from severe/baddass eastern european matriarch to a woman consumed and destroyed by the guilt of killing her person grandson for the benefit of her daughter's reputation. It was a simple but effective production and the conducting was effective and competent throughout. At the end, after Jenufa and Laca have their ambiguous love duet, the cottage that the aborted wedding ceremony had taken place in lifts up to reveal a garden outside with a young child walking among the flowers. When I saw it, I thought it was the imagined child that did not live; I was later informed that the director intended it to be a vision of heaven. A little campy, but with the right music certainly capable of jerking a few tears.

I'm seeing Die Walküre on Thursday, and the program (which has been released in advance) shows a production centering on an examination of 'time' -- the sets are all of a rather smart looking museum. Joanna Lumley's husband conducts, and he was amused when I quoted Wagner's remark to him (back on opening night of Tosca) that he wished he could score everything for horns.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #3,739 of 14,565
Obviously you're a sucker for ignitable temperament.

917abbbe390d9c28fdc61594a47fe296.jpg

Jun 26, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #3,740 of 14,565
Much more fun than even tempered.
It could also be a refrence to rca tubes.

Jun 27, 2017 at 1:00 AM Post #3,741 of 14,565
Had the great pleasure of seeing Janacek's Jenufa last Friday night at Grange Park Opera at West Horsley Place in Surrey. The title role was well sung, and both tenors were good, but it was really the mother that stole the show for me. Unlike Tosca, who couldn't act at all, I was utterly enthralled by the woman's transformation from severe/baddass eastern european matriarch to a woman consumed and destroyed by the guilt of killing her person grandson for the benefit of her daughter's reputation. It was a simple but effective production and the conducting was effective and competent throughout. At the end, after Jenufa and Laca have their ambiguous love duet, the cottage that the aborted wedding ceremony had taken place in lifts up to reveal a garden outside with a young child walking among the flowers. When I saw it, I thought it was the imagined child that did not live; I was later informed that the director intended it to be a vision of heaven. A little campy, but with the right music certainly capable of jerking a few tears.

I'm seeing Die Walküre on Thursday, and the program (which has been released in advance) shows a production centering on an examination of 'time' -- the sets are all of a rather smart looking museum. Joanna Lumley's husband conducts, and he was amused when I quoted Wagner's remark to him (back on opening night of Tosca) that he wished he could score everything for horns.

I love Jenufa. Seen it live only once unfortunately. But listen to it at home regularly...

Jun 27, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #3,743 of 14,565
At the risk of over-posting (especially considering I'm seeing Otello on Wednesday, Walküre on Thursday, Shostakovich on Friday and Stravinsky and Beethoven on Sunday), I just wanted to say a few words about last night's performance of Mitridate at the Royal Opera House.

Wow!

For so many reasons, I'm glad I went. I feel in something of a good position to assess the work, as I just saw Idomeneo, another opera seria of Mozart's at the end of March at the Met. Now, I had just taken the red eye in from San Francisco when I saw Idomeneo, so my impressions were undoubtedly colored by my exhausted state of mind. However, that production was so dull and conservative, that libretto even more feeble, and that music not to my ears significantly better than Mitridate, even though Mitridate is the work of a fourteen year old and Idomeneo was eleven years thereafter. Perhaps opera seria is so constricting that Mozart was unable to make tremendous progress developing in that genre. In any case, it was his first attempt at opera seria (a term used interchangeably with dramma per musica), followed by Lucio Silla when he was 16, Il re pastore when he was 19, Idomeneo at 24-5 and then finally La Clemenza di Tito in the last months of his life. To this list one could perhaps add Il sogno di Scipione, a one act "theatrical action" but with a text by the opera seria librettist non plus ultra, Metastasio, that Mozart wrote at 16. Musically, Clemenza is surely more sophisticated than Mitridate, but I can't underline how rich the orchestral textures are; it does not sound like the work of a student learning his craft. Were it anyone else, it could stand as the part of a mature corpus. I recall Malcolm Gladwell, the America's armchair social scientist-public intellectual extraordinaire remarking on Fareed Zakaria's Sunday show in support of his 10,000 hours thesis that Mozart was mediocre until his maturity. Last night disabused me of the veracity of that thesis. It is a remarkably lovely work, even as its notions of love-as-virtue in which one can "win" a romantic partner with virtuous behavior would strike a modern audience as creepy/stalker-y.

With the exceptions of the fine duet at the end of act 2 (the highlight of the whole opera, listen to Bartoli and Dessay sing it in 1998 here) and ensemble finale ultimo, the work is composed exclusively of aria/arioso and recitative. Every single singer was excellent. My complaint of the voicing is that the work is tremendously treble-heavy: four sopranos (two originally castrati) one alto (castrato, sung by a countertenor), and two tenors, one of which is a minor role. I get that "elevated" people require "elevated voices," but the lack of any bass singers (which Mitridate could well have been, leaving either of his sons to take over a tenor role) makes the tonal register begin to grate after several hours. The main soprano, Aspasia, stole the show; her coloratura was impeccable and her lyric voice showed no sign of strain throughout the evening. As the Guardian put it, she "delivers coloratura of such astonishing accuracy that you sit there open-mouthed." I also enjoyed the main antagonist, Farnace, sung by the countertenor. His character had perhaps the largest emotional range, and even though the libretto only allowed him (and his father) the rather dull character development of assshole-assshole-assshole-assshole-penitent, he played it as well as it could be played. I have to say, Mitridate himself is a character study in being small-minded and douchey for its own sake, angry as he is that the foreign princess taken as a war tribute that he has decided to marry is actually in love with the opera's protagonist and his own younger son Sifare.

But the production.

Oh, the production.

The set was a relatively simple red floor with large moving red walls with Mitridate, re di Ponto scrawled on them in enormous cursive. At the back of the stage was a blue cyclorama. It was the costuming, though, that grabbed the greatest attention. The characters moved in an exaggeratedly baroque manner, highly stylized and artificial, and the director decided that this emphasis on artifice from the period would be best conveyed by borrowing Japanese (and apparently Indian?) costumes. The characters all wore kimono/dress/robe like costumes, and at the waist they all jutted out to the right and left. The male characters had it about an arm's length right and left, the Aspasia had it going out either way maybe two arm lengths. The characters occasionally seemed inconvenienced by it, but dressing everyone in dress-like costumes seemed to suggest that the director was winking at us about the ridiculousness of the plot, characters, and setting. The sons had plastic looking silver armor that caught the light in an annoying way and shone it in your face. They had curved, Japanese looking Samurai swords. In general, the opera tended toward schematic and metaphorical representation rather than verisimilitude. In general, I feel that we've "done" photographic realism and that it's much cheaper and more intellectually interesting to do something that subverts it and makes you think about what you're seeing. Given that opera is so ostentatiously not real (unlike movies and plays), this angle to my mind is more in keeping with the inner truth of the art form.

I'm reminded of my comment on September 25th:

Saw an utterly stunning ballet at NYCB today. Balanchine in black and white. The dancers reveal the human form in such riveting beauty that I was left thinking: what if we had our operas performed with the singers singing unilluminated at the sides of the proscenium, with a ballet rather than a theatrical staging put to the music? It would be much more visually stimulating, and (especially or perhaps only in the case of Wagner) would allow for a kind of abstract interpretation of the music that heretofore is reserved, in the choreography of Balanchine, for absolute music. Abbado did a Ring without Words a few years back that's about 70 minutes long, and I would LOVE to see that staged.

Wagner was all about how Gesamtkunstwerk was the unity of music, text, and dramatic action, and it seems to me a serious phase in the visual interpretation of Wagner will dispense with the pretext of staged production (ala David Hockney in 2006 at the LA Phil) and let us see the text interpreted with the ultimate abstraction, intensity, and freedom of choreography that does not attend to the mundane workings of the plot (as Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet does, and which I find incredibly tedious): the text fills us in on the plot; the staging, like the music, can convey yet another incarnation of the drama that pervades the work across its multiple media.

"Not-reality" is of course able to be done in infinitely more ways than "reality" is, so this is less a style per se than an exhortation for opera directors to be free of conservatism and to innovate in whatever way they find compelling.

Twice during the opera the music stopped for a minute or two while supernumerary soldiers marched with a highly percussive stomping. I found this hilarious and giggled ala Mozart in Amadeus, but a dour, proper looking man (who nevertheless only paid the £24 I did for his seat) turned round when I did so to glare at me. I gave him my best "I'm an American, don't give a schiit" face and he didn't bother me further. I can't believe that I've seen two of five of Mozart's opere serie but only one of the Da Ponte (Figaro, and three times by my count) — I could have seen Don Giovanni in Holland Park but £67 wasn't worth it. I can wait. I think I'll see Così next March at the Met, though.

Otello and Walküre tomorrow and Thursday. Can't wait!

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #3,744 of 14,565

So now that I have this Bimby and have conversed in other sites on the merits of PCM, FLAC, via Digital, coax and optical vs PC USB2.0...I put together my
in-home test and invited several people over to test them!!

(I like these real world sessions where we discuss the merits of each and then "listen" with knowing what the sources are and then I do a Blind test with the group and see if they really can hear what they are talking about!

Well hooked up to my Oppo modified old BD 83 Special Edition, I had both digital outputs going into the Bimby and a USB to a PC with Flac files.

Once I got them synched up the fun started....

With the switch on the front of the bimby it was easy to switch quickly between the three.

The results were interesting:

At first when one listened for 30 seconds or so I switched to the next source input...most all immediately said "the other one" real fast....but then after 30 seconds or so it was harder for anyone to tell good or bad.

When someone said the other one I hid the selection switch and moved around and even set them up by saying it was this one right...and they said "Yes!" but then I told them it was not the one etc....more smiles..

The end result of a nice Glass Optical digital cable, a great Coax digital cable and a good quality well known USB cable to a "noisy" PC with all its RFI, digital clocks spewing out RF etc....was that no-one could reliably tell the difference in any of the three.

Mike Moffat at Schiit prefers PCM to Digital out etc....and I understand the technical reasons etc...but in my real world its really close..and to most a "dont care".

But its fun to play and test and have a few laughs...

Next we will do the same with a bunch of dacs and see if "bimby" works as well as I think it "sounds"..

All the best
Alex

This is worth repeating, RE: blind testing...

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/s...obable-start-up.701900/page-516#post_11921090

Jul 1, 2017 at 8:18 AM Post #3,745 of 14,565
Aperitif: Otello

So full disclosure, I didn't have the £216 to spend on a seat in the ROH (they mostly sold out in minutes after they went on sale; there's been a steady trickle of cancellations and I didn't want to refresh every second for half a day on the possible chance that a cheaper ticket came up). I watched from my much, much more comfortable seat in the Curzon Mayfair Cinema. The audio was, of course, a poor facsimile of the original, especially as the fortissimi didn't have the impact that they would have live—something about the volume being artificially limited gave the loudest bits the pathetic air of something lacking the resources to pull off its aesthetic effect.

That said, the production was not especially adventurous except insofar as it modernized most of the Renaissance elements. Kaufmann was an excellent Otello vocally, though his acting wasn't quite up to what I wanted. He had a very affecting, pained look on his face whenever he couldn't make up his mind about whether Desdemona was cheating on him, but he looked great anyway. Nice big voice. Desdemona is always kind of a basic gurl—there's not a lot of depth to her. She didn't cheat on her husband and is very sad and hurt that he suspects her, but she doesn't really grow or change. Verdi is a very nice composer, but even Otello and Don Carlo—his greatest accomplishments—lack the psychological range of Wagner. Still, it exceeds the triviality of Boheme, the sensationalism of Tosca, or the nauseating (racist?) misogyny of Butterfly and Turandot. The Iago was very good. He was bald, looked like a real thug, a KGB agent, a Vladimir Putin. Conducting was fine, other supporting roles were fine. I liked the stage direction. It was plausible, it never seemed awkward.

Otello's bedroom looked stylistically like it could've come from IKEA. It was of course very nice, but it looked like any well appointed contemporary furnishing in Midtown Manhattan. Otello coming out in pajamas—pajamas!—was slightly ridiculous but oh well. The fake blood was voluminous almost to the point of comedy. It looked like a queen size bed from the size of the stage but I'm sure it was a king or bigger.

Entree: Walküre

Wagner conceived of his works as a trinity of music, text, and stage action. When you just put it on in the background (as I have done countless times—I listened to one ring cycle per weekend for most of the 2014-15 academic year) you develop affections on a strictly musical basis and, frankly, I lack the attention span to sit with a DVD; my television isn't large enough for the effect to be especially compelling and my speaker system is not even worth mentioning. (I am looking into the B&W 683 S2, however, and perhaps am interested in something slightly smaller like the 684. Feel free to PM me with recommendations suitable for a studio or one-bedroom San Francisco apartment. Once I get a quality 2-channel situation I will entertain getting a 4K TV.) I generally put Wagner on in the background while cooking, cleaning, grading papers, working on the novel, reading proust, drinking cocktails, etc.

It's only in the theatre that text is translated for you in real time and the stage action lends it dramatic impact.

Hitherto, I always preferred the love duet in act 1 and the brunnhilde/siegmund confrontation, as well as the beginning of act 3 (until the arrival of Wotan) and Brunnhilde's last demand of her father and Wotan's farewell. Last night, for the first time, I understood the importance of Wotan's monologue in 2.2, as well as Fricka's interrogation of him in 2.1. Musically, both can sound a lot like arioso, but both are replete with tension. The Wotan confessed to me after the opera that sung from behind a music stand it feels like it goes on and on, but when you actually stage it, it really comes alive. When I get a nice huge ("yoooooge!") 4K television and corresponding DVD or blu-ray player, I'll start investing in (i hope) cheap DVDs of Patrice Chereau's ring and the rest. I wish to god we had videotaped Wieland Wagner's productions from the 1950s. Such a huge loss. (UPDATE: Bought a dvd of Siegfried on a whim for ten euro last night at the ballet.)

My preference for 2.1-2 was so marked that I actually found myself bored with Siegmund and Sieglinde going on and on about the spring, but utterly captivated with Fricka and Wotan debating the intricacies of Wotan's treaties with Fafner and his terror of Alberich getting the ring and destroying Valhalla. Sieglinde's hallucination of her mother in act 2—flashback to her mother's murder and her childhood house's burning—was shocking but didn't really seem to connect to the larger ring plot. The Volsung subplot was a little too easily put in a separate box for it to carry much dramatic interest. Carl Dahlhaus, my ring guru non plus ultra, remarks in his long essay on the ring that though there are holes in it, the integrity of the whole is much greater than any deficiency is notable. Nevertheless, the romance of the Walsungs didn't draw me in; the stakes seemed low. All of that said, Bryan Register (Siegmund) and Claire Rutter (Sieglinde) were both excellent. I met Bryan after the opera and he was remarkably warm and personable. Asked about how he *does* roles like Siegmund and Tristan, he said that you just need to get into a zone. Afterwards, he admits to being not quite sure how he did it. Interestingly the main trio all sounded American (he is from the south, though I didn't ask where). Keep your eyes peeled for his forthcoming Siegfried. It should not be missed—though no firm commitments are set.

The setting was, as I said earlier, a turn of the century looking house library, with late Victorian or Edwardian outfits all round, including rather dated military officer outfits for Wotan and the Valkyrie sisters. Fricka was in a lovely emerald green frock coat and matching churchillian bowler hat. A balcony was above the main stage and characters frequently were up there. It was from the edge of the balcony that surrounded the stage below that flames shot up at the end. There were cases full of dead animals and weapons in act 1, including butterflies and birds on the balcony and one odd case of preserved fish that was made reference to at one point—I forget. There was a central couch that Siegmund and Hunding briefly eat at after he tells Sieglinde to fix a meal for the men. Hunding was very well done—fearsome, with a low, deep, evil sounding voice. He was thinner than Siegmund. Nothung was on the balcony in a case and instead of pulling it from a tree Siegmund shatters the glass with his fist and which crashes very dramatically down to the first floor.

In act 2 it felt very much like a standard library. A big circular table was center. A stand with five spears was at the back. One of the reasons the stage direction (and also the production, to a degree) felt like a first draft is that motifs were introduced but not maintained throughout the work, or explained adequately. One of these in act 2 was Wotan's possessing several dozen books that he referred to from time to time, I gather to figure out the rules of his 'treaties' and 'contracts' by which he is bound. But we know that these are carved into his spear. It was weird seeing him refer to them, flip through them, eventually read Brunnhilde a 'bedtime story' during the second phase of his farewell in act 3. The whole upper class British aesthetics was kind of weird, with Brunnhilde entering with a cup of tea during 2.1 and singing her Hojotojo teacup in hand. It was made complicated in Act 3 by the Walkuren wearing helmets with spikes on them that reminded me of Germany in WW1.

Fricka (Sara Fulgoni) was the best actress of the evening. It's an important role because it's her insight into what counts as a 'free agent' (i.e., Siegfried, but not Siegmund) that forces Wotan to give up not only his son but his dream of reclaiming the Ring and with it the security of his perpetuity. He goes on in the subsequent dramatic monologue to Brünnhilde that he only desires "das Ende." Fulgoni's portrayal was sarcastic, venomous, devastating. The argument about the sanctity of marriage is a little bullschiity but quickly she comes to the point of Siegmund being purely an agent of Wotan's will. In 2.2 I for the first time felt the impact of Wotan's cry that he can only father slaves, not free people. Wagner's claim about free will being the essential human characteristic is of course not original but juxtaposed dramatically with a powerful-but-in-crucial-ways-powerless god is extremely satisfying dramatically. The dramatic monologue in 2.3 was delivered so well by Thomas Hall, a charming bass-baritone who was incredibly gracious during post-show cocktails that it might have been the highlight for me...

...except for the bi tch slap.

Oh my.

The bit ch slap.

During 2.4, Brunnhilde appears before Siegmund (siegmund...sieh auf mich!) and tells him he must die. He says nope, even when Brunnhilde swears she'll take care of Sieglinde. When she moves toward Sieglinde, traditionally, Siegmund blocks the way. Jane Dutton, though, is a Brunnhilde-and-a-half. Even though this is only her second production, her commitment to the role is amazing. She did a somersault at one point, and after she sings "Siegmund, befiehl mir dein Weib: mein Schutz umfange sie fest!" Siegmund just totally smacks her across the face with such force that she falls backward to the ground. I had never seen anything like it. I gasped audibly when it happened and grabbed my armrest as though I were teaching my fifteen year old child how to drive. Nevertheless, the climax of the scene — (the opera?) when Brunnhilde discovers her own will, and defies Wotan's lament that he can only father slaves by proclaiming that Sieglinde lebe...und Siegmund lebe mit ihr! — doesn't really fulfill the promise of violence that the b itch slap suggested. He had just said that he would kill himself and Sieglinde with Nothung. Rather than knocking it out of his hands as per normal, Dutton kind of just waved at it a little and he dropped it. Womp womp. Stephen Fry shared my shock at the bit ch slap and disappointment with the sword dropping bit, as well as my approval of the acoustics.

Ride of the Valkyries was interesting — the sisters had body bags bloodied with the heroes they're taking to Valhalla, but of course no horses. Here, I thought the staging was very spotty indeed. In keeping with the museum aesthetic, the curtain rose on eight apparently glass cases with metal frames (there was no glass) and Walküren inside them, frozen. They came to life as the music began and greeted each other. Much of the stage direction, though, as Brunnhilde arrived from the battlefield, was weird. The Walkuren kind of looked offstage as she "approached" and some seemed to go on and off without any especial rhyme or reason. It seemed very confused and the stage picture did not really gel. Overall, the stage direction looks like a decent first draft, but it (and elements of the production like the book motif and the violence motif) fail to hang together satisfyingly. A pair of supernumeraries dressed as a footman and maid for the 'house' recurred through the play, almost kissing during the act 1 prelude and the man grabbing the woman and forcing her to kiss him during the prelude to act 2, and appearing on the balcony or in the background at other times.

The Grange Park Opera is in a brand new theatre and is only 750 seats. I had never heard Wagner performed in such an intimate venue (apparently Berkeley Opera's chamber ring cycle notwithstanding -- the reviews were not great). It's apparently based on La Scala; it has stalls, stalls circle, grand tier, dress circle, and finally the "attic," which is so far up that it can only accommodate a single row of seats. I think lighting technicians sit up there. It looks a little like Shakespeare's globe from the outside; each tier is maybe a 2/3 circle. I was told that the sight lines were not great from the far left and far right, but I listened to part of a dress rehearsal, and the sound was not noticeably different from anywhere else. I was delighted by the crisp, intimate sound of the space. You could clearly hear the orchestra and soloists, and the sound did not 'linger' in the space with excessive echo or reverb. (This is of a piece with Barlow's chamber music comment below.) For a theatre that did not exist one year ago, this is a really an incredible achievement. Next season is Ballo, Romeo et Juliette (Gounod) and Oklahoma (barf).

Stephen Barlow was a solid maestro. He did not draw attention to himself, rather like a Joseph Keilberth with occasional moments of a ponderous Knappertsbusch thrown in for good measure, and suggested to me when I asked him the secret of Wagner to "think...long." Böhm and Fürtwangler, he said, were capable of having long thoughts. Solti, by contrast, had a lot of local sensational moments but lacked any kind of bigger "thought" about the piece. When I suggested that Wagner was of the complexity of Mahler, and several times the length that a Symphony Orchestra normally had to play, he shock his head in disagreement. "Wagner is more complex than Mahler. He requires the precision of chamber music and structural integrity on a scale far beyond anything Mahler asks." Nevertheless, he claimed he was not a Wagner specialist, even though he had also performed Tristan with the company five years earlier. He said he wished he could have had more rehearsal time, and that the brass were more segregated in the rear center of the orchestra. I found the orchestra overall quite good, though the end of the magic fire music was a little off. It's a difficult harp/flute synergy. His favorite Wagner, he admitted as though under duress, is Lohengrin. It was his wife, Joanna Lumley's first Wagner, and she told me she enjoyed it from beginning to end.

Digestif: Shostakovich Trilogy at the Dutch National Opera Ballet

Daring, excruciating beauty. I am speechless.

Can't wait until Die Gezeichneten next week at Oper Köln!

Jul 1, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #3,746 of 14,565
[QUOTE=" Stephen Fry shared my shock at the bit ch slap and disappointment with the sword dropping bit, as well as my approval of the acoustics.[/QUOTE]

I'll say, that makes no sense (yes, I know, opera is not supposed to make sense). Siegmund is capable of knocking her down with a slap she is unable to avoid and yet she is able to just point at him and he is unable to hang on to Nothung?

Thanks for the interesting read.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #3,747 of 14,565
Stephen Fry shared my shock at the bit ch slap and disappointment with the sword dropping bit, as well as my approval of the acoustics.

I'll say, that makes no sense (yes, I know, opera is not supposed to make sense). Siegmund is capable of knocking her down with a slap she is unable to avoid and yet she is able to just point at him and he is unable to hang on to Nothung?

Thanks for the interesting read.

Note questing.

edit. Pardon my spoonerism.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2017 at 8:27 AM Post #3,748 of 14,565
OK, everyone- I've been in a bit of a block with respect to What to write here. It began with the relaunch of this forum which left me with navigating challenges, and a bit of new platform shell shock. No blame or resentment implied; Head-Fi did what it had to do. Combine that with some other blogging resulted in me shooting too much of my escritorial load. So here I am, back, recharged, and ready to go. I will have soon the next installment of the Manhattan Project journey. I am also gathering some thoughts on signal vs. music processors.

I will leave with this observation which does nothing but intensify with decades of building audio gear. No matter how much you want to know when the Manhattan, Eitr, or whatever product will be available, neither Jason nor myself know. True, we know more than you in terms of approximation. Sure, we know when the design phase is complete. From there it is just impossible to accurately predict when a product with hundreds of parts from dozens of makers, many of them custom will arrive and be built. We know what others tell us but cannot always believe them. Worse is when they are new to us and we don't know whether to believe them or not. There are dozens of personalities in our supply chain over whom we have no control. More sobering, there are over two dozen Schiit products which compete for Schiit factory attention.

Now at Schiit, we are perhaps eccentric, but are well aware of the fact that it is not good to be late on products. The best way to avoid this is to stay muzzled and not talk about what we build. The product leaks (Vidal, Manhattan) let Jason and myself blow off steam and keep us on purpose when our projects slow. Much of what is mentioned here is production, which follows design and then prototyping, the three steps to making a product.

As I've previously written, making a product is like screwing a gorilla. You are not finished until the gorilla is.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jul 5, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #3,750 of 14,565
As I've previously written, making a product is like screwing a gorilla. You are not finished until the gorilla is.

Thanks. I hope the gorilla is polite about it. Otherwise, I really feel for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back