What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Jun 25, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #13,861 of 14,566
I apologize for the very noob-ish question, but what are the benefits of a digital-only preamp? I'm guessing that -
- All switching between inputs is done on the preamp and not putting that burden on the DAC
- Having only one digital-analog conversion in the chain
- Volume is done in the digital domain (but is that preferable to analog volume??)
Yes, unless a DAC is intended to double as a pre-amp it is not really designed to switch inputs. The fact that most Schiit DACs contain multiple input types does not mean they are designed for regular switching, more like "select the one you need and leave it there." The need for a digital preamp is because most of today's sources are digital, unless you use an archaic format like vinyl or analog tape. Plus a preamp can contain other functions than simply input selection depending on the whim of the designer, including an ADC to accept an analog input and output a digital signal, multiple outputs, tone and balance controls (gasp) etc.

The debate over analog VS digital volume control is a long one... traditional wisdom says analog is better since it does not reduce bit depth, but digital controls generally sound good, some say better depending on the design. I don't know. I'd try it and see.

Jun 25, 2021 at 6:25 PM Post #13,862 of 14,566
Hi JanMc

The Bifrost 2 arrived today. Along with an Asgard 2 from eBay and some Hifiman HE400i. Took some explaining to the wife! Initial thoughts are that it is a tough call. The Modius at its price is still astonishing value. But ignoring the switching for a moment (that’s a lot of money for a remote!), the Bifrost opens up the soundstage in all directions and there’s a slightly more natural feel to the music. This is only a few hours of listening.

But is it night and day? I don’t think so. But I might still find myself agreeing with Jason, there is enough to make it worth it. If you feel there is a DS glare and want to try multibit, then do it. If you are largely happy, I’d maybe keep the Modius. It’s simple for me, the Modius is now partnering my Asgard2.

It’s dealers choice. If you can afford it, do it. If you are on the fence, well maybe wait. You could grab a Modi 3 if you need switching for optical in from the tv and use the Saga.
Thanks for the input. The money is not insignificant and so I haven't made the switch since I am really saving up for a new pair of Spatial Audio speakers.

My living room system uses a Modi 2U for the optical from the TV into a Saga+. I also have an OPPO BDP103 that I use for the occassional DVD but most often to play FLACs from the USB input. All of that goes into an old Kenwood M2A Amp and then into Infinity Quantum IIs. This system gets LOUD and sounds fine but ...

My office is where I would put a Bifrost now. I am currently running a Modius to a Lyr 3 to Sundara's and to a Vidar and into a pair of SVS Ultra bookshelves sitting on my desk. I do think that the Modius is a little bright some of the time and that is why I am looking at how much improvement a Bifrost 2 would be. Since I listen in my office far more than my living room it makes sense to upgrade this system. Just don't ask me to replace the Lyr, it is brilliant. When my new speakers are purchased I think I will be merging the best of both systems into the living room and will have to decide what else needs to get upgraded to get the most from the new speakers.

Jun 26, 2021 at 3:25 AM Post #13,863 of 14,566
My office is where I would put a Bifrost now. I am currently running a Modius to a Lyr 3 to Sundara's and to a Vidar and into a pair of SVS Ultra bookshelves sitting on my desk. I do think that the Modius is a little bright some of the time and that is why I am looking at how much improvement a Bifrost 2 would be. Since I listen in my office far more than my living room it makes sense to upgrade this system. Just don't ask me to replace the Lyr, it is brilliant. When my new speakers are purchased I think I will be merging the best of both systems into the living room and will have to decide what else needs to get upgraded to get the most from the new speakers.
I don’t know about the Modius, but I do know that the Lyr3 and Bifrost2 makes for a great combo! :smiley:

Jun 26, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #13,864 of 14,566
I don’t know about the Modius, but I do know that the Lyr3 and Bifrost2 makes for a great combo! :smiley:
Yeah, that's what I am thinking. I do know that the Lyr sounds better than the Saga+ when used in the same chain to drive my speakers.

Jun 26, 2021 at 8:50 PM Post #13,865 of 14,566
Yeah, that's what I am thinking. I do know that the Lyr sounds better than the Saga+ when used in the same chain to drive my speakers.
As the wise man Nike say, “just do it”! I am listening to it now and I’m appreciating it more and more. If it helps, the Modius is going for over $160 on eBay. Selling my Sprout 100 is how I’m personally justifying the outlay. I did consider selling the Modius, but I’m enjoying that with Asgard 2.

On another note, how are the Sundara working out for you? Couldn’t quite stretch that far with my other recent purchases, so went with HE400i. I like them a lot.

Jun 27, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #13,866 of 14,566
The Sundara are amazingly nice for the price. They need a slight bass boost but that is easy with APO and Peace. The Lyr has huge amounts of power to push them and with the Psvane tube it is a beautiful smooth and detailed sound.

Jun 29, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #13,867 of 14,566
Doing a marathon of the 1991 Barenboim ring with my friend. Currently in act 2 of Siegfried, had to start the rheingold at 7am. Still won’t finish until like 11

Jun 29, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #13,868 of 14,566
Doing a marathon of the 1991 Barenboim ring with my friend. Currently in act 2 of Siegfried, had to start the rheingold at 7am. Still won’t finish until like 11
You DID say they were your friend...right?!

Jun 29, 2021 at 11:51 PM Post #13,869 of 14,566
Currently finishing Act 1 of Götterdämmerung -- and it's just before 9 on the west coast

Jul 7, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #13,870 of 14,566
How NOT to do business:

I know, I know we are not perfect. One of the good things about finding companies run by inane policy wonks and corporate apparatchiks Is it that, despite our failings, it makes me feel good about how we do schiit at Schiit.

I live out in the boondocks. The only choice for live visual media out here had been Direct TV. This was in a pre-stream era when Netflix still sent out DVDs. This was also before AT&T bought Direct TV. I have been cutting the cord and embarking on a emancipated AT&T-free life. So I disconnected from AT&T, sent them their hardware back, and was informed that I owed them a fee for a contract I had signed. Since I had not signed any contracts with AT&T, only with Direct TV when I moved here in 2010 I wasn’t worried – and then the bastards dinged my card, which I charged back. I contacted them by email which they of course ignored. I then called them to explain I would pay if they would only forward me a copy of the contract that I signed.

It turns out that the supervisor I spoke to would not give me his name, only his initials, BR. Hmmm… Extortion plus anonymity. How am I to know that they are not some plumbing company.

Guess we’re not so bad after all.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jul 7, 2021 at 6:47 PM Post #13,871 of 14,566
How NOT to do business:

I know, I know we are not perfect. One of the good things about finding companies run by inane policy wonks and corporate apparatchiks Is it that, despite our failings, it makes me feel good about how we do schiit at Schiit.

I live out in the boondocks. The only choice for live visual media out here had been Direct TV. This was in a pre-stream era when Netflix still sent out DVDs. This was also before AT&T bought Direct TV. I have been cutting the cord and embarking on a emancipated AT&T-free life. So I disconnected from AT&T, sent them their hardware back, and was informed that I owed them a fee for a contract I had signed. Since I had not signed any contracts with AT&T, only with Direct TV when I moved here in 2010 I wasn’t worried – and then the bastards dinged my card, which I charged back. I contacted them by email which they of course ignored. I then called them to explain I would pay if they would only forward me a copy of the contract that I signed.

It turns out that the supervisor I spoke to would not give me his name, only his initials, BR. Hmmm… Extortion plus anonymity. How am I to know that they are not some plumbing company.

This might be good to know. It may work in other states as well as California. Some years ago a friend did everything right to cancel his internet service; proper notice, returning the modem and getting a receipt for the return, etc. The company behaved like AT&T and kept billing him. Somehow my friend figured out that filing a complaint to the State of California Attorney General's Office might get result's. In a few weeks all his problems with that company were over.
As a plus he has a letter signed by the then California Attorney General (unless it is a machine signature).

Jul 7, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #13,872 of 14,566
How NOT to do business:

A few years ago I had a VERY similar experience but with another company. I documented everything and then they sent me to collections. I got a fancy lawyer in LA who was good at this stuff and sued. Credit cleaned and some money in my pocket. Document and get a lawyer. It’s the only way the little guy can fight back in this backwards democracy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back