What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Jun 22, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #13,846 of 14,565
I did this ignorance when I was reading LOTR, but Tolkien and Led Zeppelin.

How years ago in days of old
When magic filled the air
'T was in the darkest depths of Mordor
I met a girl so fair
But Gollum, and the evil one
Crept up and slipped away with her
Her, her, yeah

Jun 22, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #13,847 of 14,565
How years ago in days of old
When magic filled the air
'T was in the darkest depths of Mordor
I met a girl so fair
But Gollum, and the evil one
Crept up and slipped away with her
Her, her, yeah
Sure...whatever...Ramble On, Dude. :wink:

Jun 23, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #13,851 of 14,565
Product idea. @Baldr has mentioned that he has had ideas bouncing around about a digital-only preamp, which I think is a good idea, and which I assume would now incorporate Unison technology. But I am hearing that the beta test card for Urd, the USB to USB switch, seems to make a noticeable improvement in the sound all by itself. Sounds to me like it could be time for an intermediate product, a Wyrd-2 using Unison technology. Or that the beta card is a good starting place to expand into the preamp idea?

Jun 23, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #13,852 of 14,565
I'd be up for buying one if it were to become a product. I suspect it will. :wink:

Jun 23, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #13,853 of 14,565
I’m down for a digital preamp. My living room setup has been lacking Schiit ever since I moved onto passive speakers.

Jun 23, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #13,856 of 14,565
Denise added me to the Urd Beta tester list early on. I guess I did not make the cut. :frowning2:

Nah!! The switcher board probably got lost in the mail. Damn you, DeJoy!!! :D

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #13,857 of 14,565
I also would like to see a Wyrd 2 based on Unison. I have tried several USB decrapifiers and Unison in the Yggy is the best so far. But my Pi2Design PI2AES via AES is better. Downside is I haven't found any Linux Music Player than can compare to MusicBee's features. I have tried Moode and currently use Volumio. Because of that I have been researching DDCs. Anything good I have found is from overseas (Denafrips, Audio-GD). I want American Schiit.

Jun 23, 2021 at 11:36 PM Post #13,858 of 14,565
Let us know how you compare the Bifrost to the Modius please. I am considering the same upgrade to go with my Vidar and Lyr 3 (which I think sounds a lot better than my Saga+ as a preamp - which works for me because I only have the one USB input from my computer).
Hi JanMc

The Bifrost 2 arrived today. Along with an Asgard 2 from eBay and some Hifiman HE400i. Took some explaining to the wife! Initial thoughts are that it is a tough call. The Modius at its price is still astonishing value. But ignoring the switching for a moment (that’s a lot of money for a remote!), the Bifrost opens up the soundstage in all directions and there’s a slightly more natural feel to the music. This is only a few hours of listening.

But is it night and day? I don’t think so. But I might still find myself agreeing with Jason, there is enough to make it worth it. If you feel there is a DS glare and want to try multibit, then do it. If you are largely happy, I’d maybe keep the Modius. It’s simple for me, the Modius is now partnering my Asgard2.

It’s dealers choice. If you can afford it, do it. If you are on the fence, well maybe wait. You could grab a Modi 3 if you need switching for optical in from the tv and use the Saga.

Jun 24, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #13,859 of 14,565
Product idea. @Baldr has mentioned that he has had ideas bouncing around about a digital-only preamp, which I think is a good idea, and which I assume would now incorporate Unison technology. But I am hearing that the beta test card for Urd, the USB to USB switch, seems to make a noticeable improvement in the sound all by itself. Sounds to me like it could be time for an intermediate product, a Wyrd-2 using Unison technology. Or that the beta card is a good starting place to expand into the preamp idea?
I apologize for the very noob-ish question, but what are the benefits of a digital-only preamp? I'm guessing that -
- All switching between inputs is done on the preamp and not putting that burden on the DAC
- Having only one digital-analog conversion in the chain
- Volume is done in the digital domain (but is that preferable to analog volume??)

Jun 24, 2021 at 9:45 PM Post #13,860 of 14,565
I apologize for the very noob-ish question, but what are the benefits of a digital-only preamp? I'm guessing that -
- All switching between inputs is done on the preamp and not putting that burden on the DAC
- Having only one digital-analog conversion in the chain
- Volume is done in the digital domain (but is that preferable to analog volume??)
It can be done and done well. My old PS Audio Sprout 100 used to do that, even converting analog to digital to do it. However, the analog volume control on the Saga S is much better in my opinion. I think a lot depends on how they do it. If they have a module that up samples the signal to 32 bit, does the volume control then run it through the DAC, it can be OK.

I have heard a few like the Project Pre-Box S2 that I think used the volume control on the chip and it could have been better. I also sometimes have tried the Roon DSP volume control instead of the analog control for convenience and you do lose something in the process. YMMV - great implementations may sound great. I think analog is the better option in general - as long as it isn't a 20 cent potentiometer.

As far as I know, Mike doesn't use any volume control on his DACs. I expect his response would be that it sounds like ass. Having a digital switcher might work if it was combined with an analog volume control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back