What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Jul 14, 2021 at 7:53 AM Post #13,891 of 14,566
You know, 45 years ago there was a well oiled, thriving, audio market. The buyers were accustomed to the notion of audio as a hobby. This required the user to be (usually) self trained in the aspects of the audio. There were few experts as the users did not need them. The buyers of the gear made their own informed decisions based on their own increasing knowledge. This is when I started Theta Electronics with a tube preamp.

Back then, audio manufacturers did it because they loved audio. This is key. There was an attitude of mutual respect between fellow makers. There were sub-”religions” based upon many “Gods” such as electrostatic, horn, and small box speakers, tubes, solid state, etc, etc. Most makers and consumers of audio gear accepted the advantages of other designs and the attitude was that all of us were on a road to audio happiness.

In about the late 70s things began to change. High-end audio increasingly emerged. Top prices went from major kitchen appliance level to car level. A new class of high end audio retailers emerged for well heeled customers who could or would not acquire the knowledge to assemble their own systems. This was the beginning of audio divorced from love of music to conspicuous consumption. It became less relevant for the user, who became a “client”. It was no prerequisite to love the music to be an audiophile. Kinda like the Motor Trend subscriber who invite his buddies over to check out his $4000 tires.

On the product side, there has been a similar slide. As love of audio declined, a devolution toward quasi algorithmic design increased. Audio boxes called D/A converters sank into an indifference of their musical purpose. Delta sigma design emerged; these were documented such that designers of toasters or thermostats could crank out D/A converters. These are intended to fill a quasi algorithmic box at a certain price point that modern consumers will buy. Specialty musical products designed by those with an understanding of what and why they do was reduced to a toaster and thermostat mean.

The tragedy is that there are too many audio consumers who are buying audio based on experts or celebrity endorsement. They would rather spend hours on search engines to see what Joe Blow recommends than develop their own informed decisions. Sadder yet is that many users would rather have products endorsed by experts and celebrities over what they would pick on their own. Staggering that they not just request, but demand to be mentally led.

Schiit products are built because we love audio. Our market is those who also love music and are willing to learn enough about our hobby to make their own decisions. We respect our users, and express thanks to all of you have supported us along the years.

It feels like a sign of the times; right now is a time where people are a lot more time-starved and therefore prefer shortcuts to maximise their pleasure

I think another pertinent sign of the times is how people treat good audio; I recall that in the past (even before I am born in 1990!), music is something that you exclusively enjoy in a period of time. As in, "listening to music" = people need to set aside time just to listen to music. But right now, "listening to music" = something that should be done alongside other activities. Perhaps such commodification of music is why the audio manufacturers reacted in such a manner?

Jul 14, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #13,892 of 14,566
@Baldr Could you please throw us some teases about the future of Gungnir? When will we see it available in black finish?

My wish list would be for it to become your ultimate single-ended DAC, going head-to-head with the Chord Qutest. Sort of like a Yiggy with a smaller footprint. What do you think?

Jul 14, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #13,893 of 14,566
@Baldr Could you please throw us some teases about the future of Gungnir? When will we see it available in black finish?

My wish list would be for it to become your ultimate single-ended DAC, going head-to-head with the Chord Qutest. Sort of like a Yiggy with a smaller footprint. What do you think?

+1. It should also have Yggy's power supply.

JC

Jul 14, 2021 at 8:26 PM Post #13,894 of 14,566
It feels like a sign of the times; right now is a time where people are a lot more time-starved and therefore prefer shortcuts to maximise their pleasure

I think another pertinent sign of the times is how people treat good audio; I recall that in the past (even before I am born in 1990!), music is something that you exclusively enjoy in a period of time. As in, "listening to music" = people need to set aside time just to listen to music. But right now, "listening to music" = something that should be done alongside other activities. Perhaps such commodification of music is why the audio manufacturers reacted in such a manner?
Although I agree with you on the "time" issue, something that I think you miss is the complexity of listening to "good" music. Back in the day, having to spin an LP is a whole lot different than clicking on your server. I am blown away by the fact that I have every one of my CDs ripped (lossless) to a micro SD card the size of the thumbnail. My portable rig with said microSD card is easily 80% to 90% of my desktop rig. Baldr's yggy completely changed the way I looked at my digital collection. It was the first time I thought it (my collection) sounded analog. Being able to listen to a "quality" recording has changed dramatically in terms of ease.

Jul 14, 2021 at 8:43 PM Post #13,895 of 14,566
...But right now, "listening to music" = something that should be done alongside other activities. ...
My daughter, when I offered to play her something, said, "I never just listen to music, I wouldn't hear any difference."

Made me sad as the complexity/intricacy is what makes it beautiful to me. And that requires one to listen. ;-(

Jul 14, 2021 at 8:53 PM Post #13,896 of 14,566
Times change, as do listening habits. In the 1960's and early 70's I had what might be called today "free time" and would put on an LP and listen to entire sides, usually accompanied by various mood-altering substances, and would judge the quality of the music on how much it made me visualize images, or how it made me feel, or if I got laid. Then I grew up, got busy, got a job, joined the military, got married, had a kid or two, got mortgages, got educated, had more jobs, more debt, several divorces, several marriages, jobs with more responsibility, and less free time. Along the way I went through many stereo, quad, surround sound and home theater systems ranging in value from $20 to nearly half a million at one point. (I sold that expensive system to pay off a balloon mortgage payment, by the way.) I abandoned LPs and open reel tapes for CDs and then abandoned CDs for a music server. I fell in love with the ability to listen to a random music mix where Merle Haggard might segue into Fear Factory or Bjork into Prokofiev. I started using headphones because my current (and last) wife has less diverse musical taste than I do. Times change. They always do.

But all along the way I always strove for good sound. Not perfect sound or live sound, that's a fool's errand, but what I thought sounded good enough to me, in my house, with my hearing. And so far I am not disappointed. I will continue to enjoy my music, continue to search for new music, and when I die my kids will look at my server and headphone rig and think "What the hell was he thinking?" And then hopefully they will try it...

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2021 at 9:19 PM Post #13,901 of 14,566
Jul 16, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #13,904 of 14,566
Times change, as do listening habits. In the 1960's and early 70's I had what might be called today "free time" and would put on an LP and listen to entire sides, usually accompanied by various mood-altering substances, and would judge the quality of the music on how much it made me visualize images, or how it made me feel, or if I got laid. Then I grew up, got busy, got a job, joined the military, got married, had a kid or two, got mortgages, got educated, had more jobs, more debt, several divorces, several marriages, jobs with more responsibility, and less free time. Along the way I went through many stereo, quad, surround sound and home theater systems ranging in value from $20 to nearly half a million at one point. (I sold that expensive system to pay off a balloon mortgage payment, by the way.) I abandoned LPs and open reel tapes for CDs and then abandoned CDs for a music server. I fell in love with the ability to listen to a random music mix where Merle Haggard might segue into Fear Factory or Bjork into Prokofiev. I started using headphones because my current (and last) wife has less diverse musical taste than I do. Times change. They always do.

But all along the way I always strove for good sound. Not perfect sound or live sound, that's a fool's errand, but what I thought sounded good enough to me, in my house, with my hearing. And so far I am not disappointed. I will continue to enjoy my music, continue to search for new music, and when I die my kids will look at my server and headphone rig and think "What the hell was he thinking?" And then hopefully they will try it...
Merle Haggard - oh hell yes! Who are those other folks? :)

Jul 16, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #13,905 of 14,566
Could just buy a Yggdrasil... :)

My concept for a Gungnir 2 is a Yiggy minus balanced outputs, plus the best SE outputs Schiit can make, plus Unison, plus Autonomy, in a smaller chassis/footprint, priced head-to-head with the Chord Qutest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back