What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Mar 10, 2021 at 9:03 AM Post #13,456 of 14,566
That’s a nice room to listen in. I got a tiny cube which is filled rapidly. Happy as a bird though. (about 35 m3).
Thanks, it's a basement room so not the most pleasant (a mountain view would be nice :) ). I ran it through a room mode calculator and was pleased to discover the modes where few and far between!

Mar 10, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #13,457 of 14,566
Thanks, it's a basement room so not the most pleasant (a mountain view would be nice :) ). I ran it through a room mode calculator and was pleased to discover the modes where few and far between!
Lucky you, few modes is good. Me too lucky, I got the mountain view :)

Mar 11, 2021 at 12:24 AM Post #13,458 of 14,566
I got the mountain view
Serra de Sintra, right? My family had a place in Nafarros. The area is a suburb now, but it was pretty rural back then, small farms, loose stone property walls, rough paths for humans and donkeys only. I used to look South at the Serra all the time. In the summer, we'd go to Praia das Maçãs for the pool, and to Praia da Adraga when we just wanted to see big wild seas.

Mar 11, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #13,459 of 14,566
Serra de Sintra, right? My family had a place in Nafarros. The area is a suburb now, but it was pretty rural back then, small farms, loose stone property walls, rough paths for humans and donkeys only. I used to look South at the Serra all the time. In the summer, we'd go to Praia das Maçãs for the pool, and to Praia da Adraga when we just wanted to see big wild seas.
That’s the view! We’re in Várzea de Sintra and I see Palácio da Pena and Castelo dos Mouros from my listening room couch.

I love the fresh dive into the Atlantic, all these beaches here are precious. I feel very privileged to live here.

Abraço!

Mar 12, 2021 at 2:23 PM Post #13,460 of 14,566
I wonder when we can expect the transport. Still in queue on the Bifrost to get Unison - it's been nearly two months and I've hardly advanced at all. Closing on the condo next week though, so I'll need to update my delivery address lol.

Mar 12, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #13,461 of 14,566
I wonder when we can expect the transport. Still in queue on the Bifrost to get Unison - it's been nearly two months and I've hardly advanced at all. Closing on the condo next week though, so I'll need to update my delivery address lol.
Jason said this week they expect the Beta's to be finished soon (I think he hinted this month). His hopeful target for the Urd is this summer. However, he did say the Unison Beta took 6-8 months. So it may not get released until End of the year. This is where I cross my fingers for the Beta OR I just forget about it and it'll be a VERY exciting surprise for Xmas. If I can have the Urd and the ability to go to a Dodgers game, my summer is going to be awesome.

Mar 12, 2021 at 6:41 PM Post #13,462 of 14,566
Jason said this week they expect the Beta's to be finished soon (I think he hinted this month). His hopeful target for the Urd is this summer. However, he did say the Unison Beta took 6-8 months. So it may not get released until End of the year. This is where I cross my fingers for the Beta OR I just forget about it and it'll be a VERY exciting surprise for Xmas. If I can have the Urd and the ability to go to a Dodgers game, my summer is going to be awesome.
Opposite - betas to START soon for the Urd.

- sorry I didn't timestamp in advance.

Mar 12, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #13,464 of 14,566
That’s what I was saying. They are finishing up a run of Beta’s to send out for testing.
I must have a reading issue, I thought you were saying they were finishing the beta test, not finishing the beta builds to start the process. Its been way too many technical proposal reviews this week - when you review the big, state the issues preventing you from signing it as an acceptable bid to turn over to the commercial folks, and the next revision you get has all the same issues you tend to go brain numb (it is stupid things, like spelling my company's name wrong).

Mar 12, 2021 at 10:24 PM Post #13,465 of 14,566
That’s the view! We’re in Várzea de Sintra and I see Palácio da Pena and Castelo dos Mouros from my listening room couch.

I love the fresh dive into the Atlantic, all these beaches here are precious. I feel very privileged to live here.

Abraço!
Muito obrigado, your description is generating quite a burst of saudade for some of my happiest times as a kid.

Mar 18, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #13,466 of 14,566
I am confused why every Schiit Livestream is not styled Live Schiitstream. The portmanteau is just sitting (schiiting?) there, asking to be used.

Mar 31, 2021 at 1:01 AM Post #13,468 of 14,566

The Gielen set is uniformly excellent performance and soundwise.

In addition to the above boxed sets, and after reading your post, I took a head-count of the rest of my incomplete Mahler sets on CDs.
Total of 126, by many different conductors and on many different labels.

I had some of Neumann's on LP but sold ages ago and never replaced.

I do admit to having even more complete sets of the Beethoven symphonies.

It’s an affliction I suffer from.

My first Mahler LP exposure 1970, The picture caught my attention, was able to get a Japanese reissue on CD. Ormandy and Phila. O.
217513.jpg
@FLTWS thanks for the recommendation (was looking for a modern all-digital recording (hoping for less processing / limiting)). Received the Gielen Mahler set (17 discs total) recently, starting out listening to the 5th symphony. plenty more music to explore here... old Sony CD player via coax S/PDIF into Bifrost Multibit (OG) / Asgard 3 / mid-range planars. :gs1000smile:

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2021 at 2:16 AM Post #13,469 of 14,566
@FLTWS thanks for the recommendation (was looking for a modern all-digital recording (hoping for less processing / limiting)). Received the Gielen Mahler set (17 discs total) recently, starting out listening to the 5th symphony. plenty more music to explore here... old Sony CD player via coax S/PDIF into Bifrost Multibit (OG) / Asgard 3 / mid-range planars. :gs1000smile:
Some old Sony players have very good transports...

Mar 31, 2021 at 7:21 AM Post #13,470 of 14,566
Some old Sony players have very good transports...
Yep, I've got a 2007 vintage Sony BDP S-300 Blu-ray player (back from when I was running BRD and HD-DVD side by side for about a year). It still runs fine, just very sloooow loading times but it has digital out on the back. I still use it in the basement. Once I got my first Oppo there was no going back. I'm hoping my 105D outlasts me and could kick myself for not buying the 203 when it came out but then it is no longer available/supported for repairs/updates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back