What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Feb 25, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #13,441 of 14,566
The question a little while back about Walsh Ohm speakers is because a friend has a Victorian with very high ceilings and we're looking for a good set of speakers to envelop the rectangular living space. At the top of the proverbial rectangle is the living room, with the dining area in the middle and a kitchen at the bottom. I know the Schiitr has Salks and I've always enjoyed those as well. For a tall space, what floor standing speakers do people recommend?
A line array, maybe?
I've always imagined that something like the Nearfield Acoustics Pipedreams would look good in such a space.
There was the Dayton Audio Epique but that appears to be gone.
The Amazing Line Source from Carver would be good, I think.
Any of the line arrays by Selah Audio would be good.

HST, I really really love my Janszens. My old Maggies were magic but the Janszens have that magic and proper bass. They go crazy loud with no distortion so filling a room with them is easy.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021 at 11:18 PM Post #13,442 of 14,566
I've never had a piece of audio equipment looked at by a third party before. Not sure where to start. Do you think the Rag would drive the Salks?
Should have no problem.

Feb 26, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #13,443 of 14,566
Okay I am leaning Salks rather than the Walsh Ohms, haven't been able to shake the impression of staleness than @Ableza gave them. If rag can power them so much the better.

Feb 26, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #13,444 of 14,566
Oh, sorry about that. If you have a chance to listen to both go with whatever you prefer, obviously. My opinion is only as good as anyone else's and it may not be in line with your preferences...

Feb 26, 2021 at 7:10 PM Post #13,445 of 14,566
The question a little while back about Walsh Ohm speakers is because a friend has a Victorian with very high ceilings and we're looking for a good set of speakers to envelop the rectangular living space. At the top of the proverbial rectangle is the living room, with the dining area in the middle and a kitchen at the bottom. I know the Schiitr has Salks and I've always enjoyed those as well. For a tall space, what floor standing speakers do people recommend?
I have Salk Song 3As (Accutron for mid-range upgrade) that are driven by a single Aegir. The room is roughly 20’ wide x 35’ long with 12’ ceilings that opens back to the kitchen. I don’t like high volume but the Salks seem to have no problem filling the space. Seeing that Schiit had paired with Salks at a number of shows and that Schiit had purchased a pair was one factor in my purchase.

Feb 26, 2021 at 8:56 PM Post #13,446 of 14,566
SongTower, Song3, and Song 3A are the ones that look interesting to me. I am not personally inclined to go much beyond the Tower though. What would the advantages be of going for more expensive things?

Feb 27, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #13,447 of 14,566
SongTower, Song3, and Song 3A are the ones that look interesting to me. I am not personally inclined to go much beyond the Tower though. What would the advantages be of going for more expensive things?
Contact Jim Salk directly at jim @ salksound.com.

He is patient and responsive to inquiries. Describe your requirements to him and you will commence an honest and clear dialogue. Salk speakers are beautiful pieces too, if that is any factor in your matrix.

Good luck.

Feb 27, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #13,448 of 14,566
The room in question is roughly 25 L 14 W 11 H. I think we're probably going to be replacing the aging receiver with a new amp, though I want to try out my Panache and see if it works. The budget for the speakers is a few thousand. I don't think we'd want to spend more than a Rag on the amp. Working with a modi multibit right now and loving it.
Are those grown up SI numbers or imperial toy numbers?

Feb 28, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #13,450 of 14,566
Are those grown up SI numbers or imperial toy numbers?

They look like a measurement based on the length of a human foot. Man being the measure of all things, as it's been said.

Mar 7, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #13,452 of 14,566
A line array, maybe?
I've always imagined that something like the Nearfield Acoustics Pipedreams would look good in such a space.
There was the Dayton Audio Epique but that appears to be gone.
The Amazing Line Source from Carver would be good, I think.
Any of the line arrays by Selah Audio would be good.

HST, I really really love my Janszens. My old Maggies were magic but the Janszens have that magic and proper bass. They go crazy loud with no distortion so filling a room with them is easy.
What’s the size of your room?

Mar 7, 2021 at 9:03 PM Post #13,454 of 14,566

Users who are viewing this thread

Back