What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Mar 4, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #10,112 of 14,566
[There are only 10 kinds of people in this world....]
I always qualify 3.
1. People who make thing happen.
2. People who watch what's going to happen.
and
3. People who ask themselves what the hell is happening.

Mar 4, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #10,113 of 14,566
I always qualify 3.
and

I was reprising an old computer joke that resurfaced on the forums recently - the 10 kinds of people are those who understand binary, and those who don't.
[Although I probably should have extended it to hexadecimal for the 32/768 reference.]

Your quote reminds me of an old joke about two kinds of people:

"When I die, I want to go quietly in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not yelling and screaming in fear, like his passengers..."

I think I've exceeded my quota of abusing this thread for today. Back to lurking mode.

Mar 4, 2019 at 7:50 PM Post #10,115 of 14,566
There are a lot of things which I could say are just "different", but when it is better - it is better. And that was exactly the case. Initial DXD file had better dynamics, greater sense of details and it was much more entertaining to listen to.

I have friends who design and build really hi-end vacuum tube mic pre’s for the recording industry. They are also recording engineers and musicians. They tell me the Tascam Da-3000 recording to dsd is as good as it gets.....sorry to break some bubbles but including down sampling to mp3.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2019 at 12:43 AM Post #10,116 of 14,566
I always qualify 3.
and

CSyM7z4.gif
animated-hear-see-speak-moving-monkeys%20(1)%20(1).gif
tenor.gif

Mar 5, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #10,117 of 14,566
I always qualify 3.
and

You missed the people who are always trying to stop anything from happening. Lots of those around. They tend to be the noisiest.

Mar 5, 2019 at 2:33 PM Post #10,118 of 14,566
This is an interesting Wired article (one of many on these subjects) on USB4 and Thunderbolt 3. Also touches on the dumpster fire of USB 3.2.

https://www.wired.com/story/thunderbolt-3-usb4-twice-as-fast/

Another article from Ars Technica on the same topic.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...sb4-as-intels-interconnect-goes-royalty-free/

Ars on the USB 3.2 dumpster fire:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...-to-make-the-current-usb-branding-even-worse/

I don't think any of this should harm Unison. Although Schiit may start using USB C style ports vice USB B or USB B micro as I imagine USB C will continue to proliferate with USB4, USB 3.2, and Thunderbolt 3.

Mar 5, 2019 at 8:41 PM Post #10,121 of 14,566
I'm enjoying the Vickers/Goodall Parsifal from the Royal Opera in 1971. At 4:43 I think it's the slowest on record—but I'm really getting into it.

Mar 6, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #10,122 of 14,566
I have friends who design and build really hi-end vacuum tube mic pre’s for the recording industry. They are also recording engineers and musicians. They tell me the Tascam Da-3000 recording to dsd is as good as it gets.....sorry to break some bubbles but including down sampling to mp3.

I listened to this carefully and thoroughly enjoyed the discussion of ribbon mics. When they got to the discussion of DSD they seemed to get a little glassy eyed and began invoking a lot of anecdotal evidence, thought experiments and speculation.
Some standouts were the discussions around 10k limits, orchestral string sections, 20k square waves and conversion of DSD to other formats.
There was an interweaving of arguments that in natural settings there is very little above 10k due to normal hearing, and losses in air, yet ultrasonic elements are important and that string instruments sound awful close up due to high frequency components.
Strings do not sound awful close up. One of my favorite albums is Vilde Frang Homage where the recording is so clear and up close you can year the bow scraping on the strings before they begin to vibrate. Rather than wanting to rip the headphones off, it's a totally beautiful and immersive experience.
They invoke a thought experiment about 20k square waves sounding different that 20k sine waves as demonstration that ultrasonic tones are relevant. They don't seem to have done the experiment and there's no discussion of the physical limits of transducers.
There is a rather remarkable statement that PCM can't accurately capture higher audio frequencies at any sample rate.
There is a reasonable argument for higher sample rates and more gradual high frequency roll-off than you get with 44.1k sample rates.
There is some very non-scientific speculation about interpolation and zero-crossings that seems blended with concern for dithering.
They start to invoke magic when claiming that something recorded with DSD then converted to PCM (and even further converted to MP3) will sound better than a direct conversion to PCM. If there is any truth to this then it would be more of a comment on the quality of modern ADC's rather than innate limitations on PCM or innate superiority of DSD. Again, though, their comments are general and anecdotal. The do cite a recent recording session they did where they recorded with a single mic to a DSD recorder and multiple mics to PCM, later mixed down. They note that the two methods aren't directly comparable and they also don't note which result they liked better (though one could assume) or offer characterizations of the two results. They do say they are planning another recording session taking the same analog signal and recording via DSD and PCM for a more direct comparison, but that hadn't been done yet (The video was made October 2018).
They attribute to DSD many of the characteristics and qualities people seem to attribute to listening to music via a Yggdrasil :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back