What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Mar 8, 2019 at 5:21 PM Post #10,141 of 14,565
Whatever anyone tells you here...... DSD is really, really good.
I never heard DSD but also never felt the need for more than PCM.
My friend has a studio and his 24bit 48Khz stuff sounds amazing but also youtube sounds amazing there. No need for me and i wonder if it is really really good why studios don’t change, as they did frommono to stereo and from vinyl to redbook?

Mar 8, 2019 at 5:57 PM Post #10,142 of 14,565
My friend has a studio and his 24bit 48Khz stuff sounds amazing but also youtube sounds amazing there. No need for me and i wonder if it is really really good why studios don’t change, as they did frommono to stereo and from vinyl to redbook?
Good point. You tell me. I can't imagine why one has to choose when all formats can be facilitated in one box without any problem.

Mar 8, 2019 at 10:39 PM Post #10,143 of 14,565
I have been listening to lots of modern music of this genre recently but it is pretty hard to beat the old classics, what a great album!

Thank you. This is fascinating, and that is a great list of music :)

I have being doing an intense amount of research into the ultimate representation of audio and artistic performance for the purpose of cultural entertainment and enrichment.
I have narrowed down the field to two highly esoteric genres and am eager to entertain any further suggestions that can be garnered and procured from the posters on this forum.

The two that i have thus far narrowed the field down are as follows:-
1/ Vogon Poetry
2/ Klingon Opera

Please feel free to add to the list.

Vogon Poerty........

Klingon Opera..........

Honorable Mention...........

Mar 8, 2019 at 11:25 PM Post #10,144 of 14,565
Studios don't change because working with DSD is almost the digital equivalent of recording direct to disc vinyl. Almost none of the usual studio sound adjustments are available in DSD. No EQ, no compression, no pitch correction, no auto tune, etc. Think a recorder finally allowed fade in and out. Otherwise, doing these things requires converting to PCM then back to DSD, often many times.

Mar 8, 2019 at 11:33 PM Post #10,145 of 14,565
I have being doing an intense amount of research into the ultimate representation of audio and artistic performance for the purpose of cultural entertainment and enrichment.
I have narrowed down the field to two highly esoteric genres and am eager to entertain any further suggestions that can be garnered and procured from the posters on this forum.

The two that i have thus far narrowed the field down are as follows:-
1/ Vogon Poetry
2/ Klingon Opera

Please feel free to add to the list.

you'll need to set aside enough time, but...

helps if you've seen the entire series to that point :)

Mar 9, 2019 at 3:18 AM Post #10,146 of 14,565
Saw Anne Sofie von Otter tonight. She's TALL. Also, her voice isn't suited to the baroque repertory, IMHO.

I'll be at the Schiitr on the 21st. Hoping to try the new Ragnarok.

Just discovered Franz Völker. He's a golden age Wagner with dark but buttery smooth voice. Really pleasant to listen to. His Siegmund heiß ich is excellent. Singers back then were just better than those we have today.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #10,148 of 14,565
Studios don't change because working with DSD is almost the digital equivalent of recording direct to disc vinyl. Almost none of the usual studio sound adjustments are available in DSD. No EQ, no compression, no pitch correction, no auto tune, etc. Think a recorder finally allowed fade in and out. Otherwise, doing these things requires converting to PCM then back to DSD, often many times.

Though I have not heard music formatted in DSD I am interested. I thoroughly understand the pro-recording process. I’ve recently read about Merging Technologies system of recording and editing in DSD. Would love to work with it.

For you people who can afford it they have a consumer DAC......
https://www.merging.com/products/interfaces

Mar 9, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #10,149 of 14,565
I showed that to my older daughter to get her impression on the staging etc as someone involved in theatre (just high school). She enjoyed it without knowing any Lexx.

That is one of my favorite TV episodes of any show any genre.

Mar 9, 2019 at 11:02 PM Post #10,150 of 14,565
Studios don't change because working with DSD is almost the digital equivalent of recording direct to disc vinyl.
That's the best reason for making them DSD :wink: No f'ng up the recording. Of course, doing it right in one take or so would really make costs skyrocket I suppose.

Mar 9, 2019 at 11:07 PM Post #10,151 of 14,565
Saw Don Giovanni in the Curtis Theater in the Kimmel Center, Philly. Man, that theater is small.

The staging was pretty minimal so I was disappointed in that way. They did a weird thing with pianos that my daughter and I couldn't understand.

The Don Giovanni was impressive, the Leporello was really good, didn't like the Ottavio and other than the one aria by Elvira was not too impressed with the ladies.

Kimmel Center was nicer than I was expecting.

Mar 10, 2019 at 12:26 AM Post #10,152 of 14,565
Saw Don Giovanni in the Curtis Theater in the Kimmel Center, Philly. Man, that theater is small.

The staging was pretty minimal so I was disappointed in that way. They did a weird thing with pianos that my daughter and I couldn't understand.

The Don Giovanni was impressive, the Leporello was really good, didn't like the Ottavio and other than the one aria by Elvira was not too impressed with the ladies.
Putting things in perspective though, it is a student production by the Curtis Institute of Music — orchestra and singers all music students, and the reason for the small theater and minimal staging.
https://www.philly.com/news/don-gio...ellakis-review-schedule-tickets-20190308.html (explains what they were doing with the pianos, which apparently wasn't effective).

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2019 at 6:10 AM Post #10,153 of 14,565
cats_01.jpg

Mar 10, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #10,154 of 14,565
Putting things in perspective though, it is a student production by the Curtis Institute of Music — orchestra and singers all music students, and the reason for the small theater and minimal staging.
https://www.philly.com/news/don-gio...ellakis-review-schedule-tickets-20190308.html (explains what they were doing with the pianos, which apparently wasn't effective).
Yeah, it was a good outing. The only thing I really found distracting was the characters' constant moving around of the pianos.

My daughter and I both want Don Giovanni to be consumed with really spectacular hellfire. He really deserves the hottest, brightest flames :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back