What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Dec 22, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #9,676 of 14,566
We know about vitriol between users.
How is it between manufacturers?
I'm serious, we never hear that and I am very curious.

Edit: rkw already referenced this, above, but I'll leave my comment here none the less.

There's a thread on Massdrop for the Massdrop x THX AAA 789 Linear amplifier where a THX engineer is running his mouth on Schiit's gear which ties in neatly with Jason's chapter on advertising. That's one recent example I know of, which if I were that engineer's manager, I would give him an official write up for non-professionalism.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #9,677 of 14,566
Excellent post as always!

...I defy anyone to hear the difference. In fact, I am willing to bet, in a public forum, that no one, nobody, can differentiate otherwise identical dithered/not dithered converters. All that remains is for me to brush up on statistics (it has been fifty plus years since my statistics class), figure out a prize and set it up at a show...
For this, I always remember John Atkinson's story about the measurebator that showed up to such a public experiment. He turned in his impressions before the tests were run, marking all differences as inaudible. Talk about a spoiler. Maybe all subjects should be hooked up to an MRI to directly observe the differences dithering makes on the brain.

...let’s expose measurebation for what it is not and what it does besides cause blindness...

I would think, in our context, it is more likely to cause deafness. That certainly seems to be the effect where obvious audio differences are not heard by measurebators.

And nice shout out to @atomicbob!

Dec 22, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #9,678 of 14,566
Only a wordsmith can combine multiple memes, meanings and concepts, seamlessly in one easy to grasp sentence, to wit.
"I *** mean it – let’s expose measurebation for what it is not and what it does besides cause blindness."

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaahahhhahahahahaahhahahahaaaaaaaaahahahahahhahahaha
cough - cough, chortle, sputter, cough hahahahahahahahahaha…

JJ

Dec 23, 2018 at 1:32 AM Post #9,679 of 14,566
115733-D-I-D-D-Y-B-A-C-C-A.gif

Dec 24, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #9,680 of 14,566
This is a thank-you note to the folks at Schiit

I'm in my 'remote' location ('remote' as far from my primary home, not remote from civilization) listening to some classical, Christmas-related, music (Bach's B minor Mass specifically). It's lovely.
What is especially notable to me at this moment is the set up. Away from home, I have much of my music collection with me on a hard drive. There is no way I could do that if I had to transport my CDs. Also being away from home I am listening via the modest
computer>usb>modi multibit DAC>Vali 2> Mr Speakers Aeon closed headphones.
(Well the Aeons are not so modest, costing about twice as much as the Schiit electronics that feed them.) It's just wonderful to be able to listen to this music at this level of reproduction.

I've noted before that once I was privileged to listen to Zuill Bailey playing the Bach Cello suites in a chamber music setting. I was overwhelmed. I also have an excellent recording of him playing the same music. What I want in a hifi system is one that takes me back to that live experience, with nothing between me and the instrument/voice except air. And hats-off to Jason and Mike, the Schiit multibit DACs (always) and preamps (usually) are part of the systems that bring me closest to the live experience.

Regarding Mike's latest post here, measurements serve a purpose, but it is not measurements that I listen to.

So many thanks to Jason and Mike of course, but also to all the folks that make Schiit happen, including Lucky at the Schittr, who was a great help there one afternoon.

With that, to all a Merry Christmas, Feliz Navidad, and ... I will have to let Pietro add the other languages.

Noah Fence

Dec 24, 2018 at 11:51 PM Post #9,683 of 14,566
71GaFP%2BG6hL._SX466_.jpg

Dec 26, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #9,685 of 14,566
:thinking: You don't like Roy?

Just got this in DVD form sounds wonderful played though the DV-50s to Yggy:L3000:

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2018 at 1:06 AM Post #9,687 of 14,566
The Big O for the win!! :wink:

9xd9.gif

Dec 27, 2018 at 1:16 AM Post #9,688 of 14,566
This holiday season, I am thankful for the artists who create, and the engineers who allow me to reproduce acoustically, the music that has given me so much joy in life. Whether or not the Gadget makes its sought-after debut in 2019, I am grateful that there is innovative research and development spurring on the passionate hobby of music listening.

It is an honor to add my occasional leaf to the Tree of Opinions.

Dec 28, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #9,689 of 14,566
This holiday season, I am thankful for the artists who create, and the engineers who allow me to reproduce acoustically, the music that has given me so much joy in life. Whether or not the Gadget makes its sought-after debut in 2019, I am grateful that there is innovative research and development spurring on the passionate hobby of music listening.

It is an honor to add my occasional leaf to the Tree of Opinions.

Well said, Bosie. It's fun knowin' you.
Peace on Earth :)

Dec 28, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #9,690 of 14,566
@Baldr will the Schiit USB interface work out of the box on all operating systems or will custom drivers be necessary? If drivers are necessary are they already in development?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back