What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Dec 10, 2018 at 11:43 PM Post #9,601 of 14,566
I received the ASUS bluray/DVD/CD drive that I was so thoughtfully recommended by a member of the community. I'm curious whether there are recommendations for software that would enable macOS to play Bluray discs.

Thank you kindly.

Dec 11, 2018 at 6:44 AM Post #9,602 of 14,566
I received the ASUS bluray/DVD/CD drive that I was so thoughtfully recommended by a member of the community. I'm curious whether there are recommendations for software that would enable macOS to play Bluray discs.

Thank you kindly.

Mine came with power DVD software bundled in. If that wasn’t bundled in don’t pay full price the software is almost always on sale for a steep discount.

Dec 11, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #9,603 of 14,566
I've listened back and forth between my Gumby and various sorts of DS DACs on my 1.7is and have a pretty tough time distinguishing them, when level-matched.

When someone says this I always wonder if all they are listening for is the sound (seems weird, right?), as opposed to the placement of the instruments and the preciseness of the instrument's locations.

What I like about the Gumby vs some DS I listened to:
Gumby's high are much less screechy which is important to me because my favorite instrument is the violin. Also, cymbals.
The reverb on the Gumby sounds like actual reverb. Sometimes one can even tell that the reverb was added via computer.
I am sensitive to phase issues that the rest of my family does not seem to notice (or care about?). Gumby does not mess up phase.

The other thing is that not all recordings are good for trying to distinguish pieces of equipment. I prefer something that is a "live" as possible.

Dec 12, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #9,604 of 14,566
When someone says this I always wonder if all they are listening for is the sound (seems weird, right?), as opposed to the placement of the instruments and the preciseness of the instrument's locations.

What I like about the Gumby vs some DS I listened to:
Gumby's high are much less screechy which is important to me because my favorite instrument is the violin. Also, cymbals.
The reverb on the Gumby sounds like actual reverb. Sometimes one can even tell that the reverb was added via computer.
I am sensitive to phase issues that the rest of my family does not seem to notice (or care about?). Gumby does not mess up phase.

The other thing is that not all recordings are good for trying to distinguish pieces of equipment. I prefer something that is a "live" as possible.
I suppose phase and instrument placement are more of a nebulous concept if the music is mixed from separate tracks in a studio. That said, I did try Clapton's Unplugged CD (as a recommendation of a live CD to compare) doing a comparison between Gumby and a Sabre DAC with balanced outputs, matched the levels, and still couldn't tell them apart. On the plus side I did do a lot more listening to that album, and it's great.

Dec 12, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #9,605 of 14,566
I suppose phase and instrument placement are more of a nebulous concept if the music is mixed from separate tracks in a studio. That said, I did try Clapton's Unplugged CD (as a recommendation of a live CD to compare) doing a comparison between Gumby and a Sabre DAC with balanced outputs, matched the levels, and still couldn't tell them apart. On the plus side I did do a lot more listening to that album, and it's great.

What I like to do, because I like violin, is to make sure I can tell Joshua Bell's violin apart from Anne-Sophie Mutter's. That, and running the Gumby for 24h at least because otherwise it's just as screechy as a Sabre DAC.

Dunno if maybe Clapton vs Hendrix or something like that might show some differences on your system?

Dec 13, 2018 at 10:33 PM Post #9,607 of 14,566
Great!! Let us know when it's available for download. :wink:

(Just kidding folks)

Dec 15, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #9,609 of 14,566
Dec 16, 2018 at 5:57 PM Post #9,610 of 14,566
I just got volume 6 of the Vienna State Opera's archives, featuring Max Lorenz from 1933-42. I'm listening to excerpts of his Parsifal, and it's pretty great.

Dec 16, 2018 at 7:22 PM Post #9,611 of 14,566
The term we may be looking for is "timber" that, to me, describes the analogue "quality" of a sound.
Think of the strike of a tom, or a snare or a cymbal. Difficult sounds to reproduce.

Electronic music is easy to replicate. Synthesizers all sound the same.

But, acoustic guitars and a well-tuned drum kit are much more difficult :)
Then - we get to voices. Probably the uber challenge.

IME, the multibit technology from Schiit has the most realistic timber.
That counts, beyond the measurements and even the price point.

My Best!
RCB

Dec 16, 2018 at 8:02 PM Post #9,612 of 14,566
The term we may be looking for is "timber" that, to me, describes the analogue "quality" of a sound.
Think of the strike of a tom, or a snare or a cymbal. Difficult sounds to reproduce.

Electronic music is easy to replicate. Synthesizers all sound the same.

But, acoustic guitars and a well-tuned drum kit are much more difficult :)
Then - we get to voices. Probably the uber challenge.

IME, the multibit technology from Schiit has the most realistic timber.
That counts, beyond the measurements and even the price point.

My Best!
RCB

Timbre.

Dec 16, 2018 at 9:13 PM Post #9,614 of 14,566
Malaprops are, of course, rampart in HeadFi postings.

Dec 16, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #9,615 of 14,566

Users who are viewing this thread

Back