1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)

Discussion in 'Mike Moffat (Baldr)' started by baldr, Oct 13, 2015.
First

Back
630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639
641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650
Next

Last
  1. bosiemoncrieff
    I was indifferent to It's a Wonderful Life, an opera by Gene Scheer and Jake Heggie.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    porchwizard, Ableza and earnmyturns like this.
  2. bosiemoncrieff
    Alas, it went unexplored in the opera as in the movie. I am, of course, projecting my own taste for urban centers onto the postwar American imagination.

Enjoying some of the more obscure Wagnerian works:

I'm trying to listen to the Centennial March but it's so bad. So, so bad.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  3. Baldr
    I could be totally misunderstanding Bosie’s comments re It’s a Wonderful Life, (apparently) adapted as an opera in San Francisco. Note that I am not a huge fan of the movie, James Stewart, nor Lionel Barrymore. The message I took from IAWL (It’s a Wonderful Life) had everything to do with Greed, Hunger, and the American facade, behind which stands a very troubled inner nature. Now, this may not be obvious with a casual exposure to the movie, but is very much so when one takes the time to read Philip Van Doren Stern’s The Greatest Gift which is the Novella upon which the movie is based.

Now mind you, I repeat that I am not a huge fan of the movie, but I find it at the very worst, harmless. I remember when I was in third grade and saw it, I was given some childlike and selfless hope for the holiday season. I recommend it as a dated Americana curiosity, but then, I also am a fan of film noir. Perhaps it is just that B/W movies require a certain slant of attention span.

Would I never do, is dismiss it as contemptible nor list it as an instrument of Communist propaganda, as the film was indeed labeled by J. Edgar Hoover’s FBI in the late 1940’s. I am not one to trivialize Americana.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
  4. wink
    [​IMG]..

5. wink
    [​IMG]...

6. wink
    [​IMG]..

7. the finisher
  8. RCBinTN
    Try this for uber-resolution. The music is quite good, as well ... :)

Circle.jpg

FLTWS, the finisher, BagelJoe and 2 others like this.
  9. FLTWS
    ItsAllInMyHead and the finisher like this.
  10. JamminVMI
    All three of those are just brilliant!

RCBinTN likes this.
  11. FLTWS
    All right, I'll bite. Just ordered it.

Two other discs that I had on vinyl, now silver, that were well recorded and fun music.(If I keep this up I'm gonna' have to turn in my card carrying Classical membership)
    upload_2018-12-7_6-47-14.png
    upload_2018-12-7_6-46-34.png

RCBinTN, the finisher and Baldr like this.
  12. RCBinTN
    Agree 100%. I have all three and love 'em all. The first is still my favorite.
    @FLTWS if you google the project (by the NGDB) it will tell you which artists play on each of the three albums.
    Quite a diverse bunch of musicians.

Happy Listening!
    RCB

13. FLTWS
    I looked at the trilogy as it was a fair price but figured I'd just dip my toes in at this point. If I go for the trilogy I got a friend I will gift the first one to, not an audiophile but this might be right up his alley.

14. gefski
    Though I missed the "It's a Wonderful Life" comments a few days ago, I've always liked (and quoted) James Stewart's "Why do we have all these kids anyway?" He could frequently add a fun edginess to many roles.

RCBinTN, motberg, barondla and 4 others like this.
  15. Dana Reed
    "come on back out here and I'll show you some kissing that'll put hair back on your head!"

gefski likes this.
First

Back
630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639
641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650
Next

Last