What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Dec 3, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #9,586 of 14,564
Alas, it went unexplored in the opera as in the movie. I am, of course, projecting my own taste for urban centers onto the postwar American imagination.

Enjoying some of the more obscure Wagnerian works:

I'm trying to listen to the Centennial March but it's so bad. So, so bad.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018 at 2:41 AM Post #9,587 of 14,564
I could be totally misunderstanding Bosie’s comments re It’s a Wonderful Life, (apparently) adapted as an opera in San Francisco. Note that I am not a huge fan of the movie, James Stewart, nor Lionel Barrymore. The message I took from IAWL (It’s a Wonderful Life) had everything to do with Greed, Hunger, and the American facade, behind which stands a very troubled inner nature. Now, this may not be obvious with a casual exposure to the movie, but is very much so when one takes the time to read Philip Van Doren Stern’s The Greatest Gift which is the Novella upon which the movie is based.

Now mind you, I repeat that I am not a huge fan of the movie, but I find it at the very worst, harmless. I remember when I was in third grade and saw it, I was given some childlike and selfless hope for the holiday season. I recommend it as a dated Americana curiosity, but then, I also am a fan of film noir. Perhaps it is just that B/W movies require a certain slant of attention span.

Would I never do, is dismiss it as contemptible nor list it as an instrument of Communist propaganda, as the film was indeed labeled by J. Edgar Hoover’s FBI in the late 1940’s. I am not one to trivialize Americana.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 4, 2018 at 3:35 AM Post #9,588 of 14,564
1216x912x2.jpg

Dec 6, 2018 at 7:34 PM Post #9,591 of 14,564
Dec 6, 2018 at 8:43 PM Post #9,593 of 14,564
Dec 6, 2018 at 11:57 PM Post #9,594 of 14,564
Dec 7, 2018 at 6:49 AM Post #9,595 of 14,564
Try this for uber-resolution. The music is quite good, as well ... :)

All right, I'll bite. Just ordered it.

Two other discs that I had on vinyl, now silver, that were well recorded and fun music.(If I keep this up I'm gonna' have to turn in my card carrying Classical membership)
upload_2018-12-7_6-47-14.png

upload_2018-12-7_6-46-34.png

Dec 7, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #9,596 of 14,564
All three of those are just brilliant!

Agree 100%. I have all three and love 'em all. The first is still my favorite.
@FLTWS if you google the project (by the NGDB) it will tell you which artists play on each of the three albums.
Quite a diverse bunch of musicians.

Happy Listening!
RCB

Dec 7, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #9,597 of 14,564
Agree 100%. I have all three and love 'em all. The first is still my favorite.
@FLTWS if you google the project (by the NGDB) it will tell you which artists play on each of the three albums.
Quite a diverse bunch of musicians.

Happy Listening!
RCB

I looked at the trilogy as it was a fair price but figured I'd just dip my toes in at this point. If I go for the trilogy I got a friend I will gift the first one to, not an audiophile but this might be right up his alley.

Dec 9, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #9,598 of 14,564
Though I missed the "It's a Wonderful Life" comments a few days ago, I've always liked (and quoted) James Stewart's "Why do we have all these kids anyway?" He could frequently add a fun edginess to many roles.

Dec 10, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #9,600 of 14,564
as much modern “music” is assembled from a series of recordings which never existed in the real world, such as autotuned voices, synthesized tracks, etc. In other words, much of modern music is reduced to a non empirical, arbitrary construct. There are no clear objective rules on how to recreate constructs. It is completely subjective. This begs an artistic component to compliment the favorites of the engineer. This is quite different from music which existed as an event, but more on that in a bit.
I wonder how most of the music I listen to (studio recorded tracks of various "real" instruments, guitar, bass, drum, vocal mixed together) would fall on the spectrum of "pure live recording in a concert hall of un-amplified instruments" ranging to "an assembly of virtual instruments in protools".
I've listened back and forth between my Gumby and various sorts of DS DACs on my 1.7is and have a pretty tough time distinguishing them, when level-matched. Maybe my ears are shot from attending too many live performances where they do amplify the instruments more than enough for the people in the back, and I'm standing up front with no earplugs.... Of course my room treatment and speaker placement may also be suboptimal considering space constraints and WAF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back