What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Sep 17, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #9,076 of 14,566
For an alternative approach to providing AES to the Jggy, look into the unDAES-O Dante™ Networked Audio Interface - 4 CH AES3 Digital Output box
https://www.atterotech.com/products/dante-flange-mounts/undaeso

for ≈ $700 for the whole thing, h/w and s/w

For the Jggy, this box is the min path to an AOIP solution, as it only reaches 96KB/s,
And the SQ is marvelous and for me far better than anything I have yet heard.

And yeah setup is involved as this is pro audio gear, but it uses the ethernet port on your computer to link up to the unDaes-O box over a Dante network.

There are a bunch of us who run AOIP on a Dante network and the word we tend to use to describe the SQ is REALNESS.

JJ

So I've bought the 502 DAC as an add on to my Moode Pi. I haven't used it yet, been overly focused on coasters and building a Whammy. But it does have an AES/EBU aka AES3 out port. For $109 you can have an AES3 source for your Yggy. Now I only have a Mimby so I can't try out that feature. I'll be using the RCA outs myself. But just putting this out there because it is so much cheaper than the options posted here.

http://www.pi2design.com/502dac.html

Sep 17, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #9,077 of 14,566
So I've bought the 502 DAC as an add on to my Moode Pi. I haven't used it yet, been overly focused on coasters and building a Whammy. But it does have an AES/EBU aka AES3 out port. For $109 you can have an AES3 source for your Yggy. Now I only have a Mimby so I can't try out that feature. I'll be using the RCA outs myself. But just putting this out there because it is so much cheaper than the options posted here.

http://www.pi2design.com/502dac.html
Mine just arrived. Will play with AES this week

Sep 17, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #9,078 of 14,566
We'll see what apple friends I can hit up about that sweet, sweet, 15% employee discount. Once I'm no longer using a 2009 iMac I can start thinking about getting an Yggdrasil.

Sep 17, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #9,079 of 14,566
We'll see what apple friends I can hit up about that sweet, sweet, 15% employee discount. Once I'm no longer using a 2009 iMac I can start thinking about getting an Yggdrasil.

Yeah let us know :p My Apple gear is getting long in the tooth. 2010 17" MacBook Pro, 2011 13" MacBook Pro, and 2 iPhone 6+. Their prices have gotten so high I keep delaying upgrading; that and the fact that you can't upgrade their laptops anymore. I'm perfectly comfortable replacing HDD, SSD, Optical, Ram, Batteries, etc. It really bugs me that they've made them with all the parts soldered in and then overcharge for storage. The quality of the storage is great but still over-priced.

Edit this is the opposite of the Schiit model of providing for upgrades to the internals of DACs without buying the whole device again, and at the same time offering an excellent product like the Mimby that while not upgradable you can buy without regret because it doesn't cost $2400.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #9,080 of 14,566
Sep 17, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #9,081 of 14,566

I would also refer you to the Refurbished section (hidden in the footer) of the apple store web. You can often - but not always - find 20% off deals on refurbished items.

I've used that a lot and find that the items are indistinguidsable from new items.

Sep 17, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #9,084 of 14,566
^^^ He's definitely on my list!!

Sep 17, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #9,085 of 14,566
I know folks at Apple, Blackberry, Resmed, Honeywell etc. It pays to build up contacts and work with them to save money when you can. I want to say the Chinese word for it is guanxi, building networks.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #9,087 of 14,566
Have you seen him in concert before? They (I assume he'll be there with Orleans Avenue) put on a great show.
I saw him play at New Orleans Jazz Fest years ago but he was not the headliner. This show is with Orleans Ave, yes. I am looking forward to it!

Sep 17, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #9,088 of 14,566
My next concert is Trombone Shorty's Voodoo Threauxdown this Wednesday! Can't wait.

Wow, no Schiit. Not only do you get to travel to Singapore, but then, upon returning, you get to see Troy Andrews on your home turf. Decent!!
BTW, please tell him that his last album sucks and go back to the Backatown sound, just in case y'all happen to meet up. :)

Sep 17, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #9,089 of 14,566
Wow, no Schiit. Not only do you get to travel to Singapore, but then, upon returning, you get to see Troy Andrews on your home turf. Decent!!
BTW, please tell him that his last album sucks and go back to the Backatown sound, just in case y'all happen to meet up. :)
You don't like his singing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back