What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Sep 21, 2018 at 8:13 AM Post #9,106 of 14,564
Sep 21, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #9,107 of 14,564
Copied from the specs page:
Power Supply:
Modi 2: USB bus powered, 120mA draw
Modi 2 Uber and Modi Multibit: Included 16VAC wall-wart with 100% linear power supply
But no Modi 3 specs yet ...
and obviously not like a plain USB only Modi 2 :thinking:

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #9,108 of 14,564
Sep 21, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #9,109 of 14,564
Good question.

Sep 21, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #9,110 of 14,564
Sep 21, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #9,111 of 14,564
Sep 21, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #9,112 of 14,564
I am now planting a flag:

$199 Flimby before the end of 2019. Multibit shatters the ultimate price barrier and fêtes Head-Fi like nothing seen before. Bonus points if Jason repackages the Vali 1's subminiature tubes. or adds a battery.

I stand by this prediction.

Sep 21, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #9,113 of 14,564
Ever so slightly related to the live Dead, I saw -- and heard -- one of the most perfect concerts in my life last week. It was Electric Hot Tuna: Jorma Kaukonen, Jack Casady, Steve Kimock, and a drummer (I cannot find his name). "

Not surprised to hear Jorma and the gang are sounding great. Jorma has uploaded 80+ live shows to Tidal. Excited for them to come down this way (Florida) in January.

Sep 21, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #9,114 of 14,564
Not surprised to hear Jorma and the gang are sounding great. Jorma has uploaded 80+ live shows to Tidal. Excited for them to come down this way (Florida) in January.

You will love the show! The concert was the last on their current tour, and they played together as flawlessly as you could imagine. Nothing was being "churned out" like other bands who have been together for years; all the music felt fresh. And 10 days later, I still feel the music -- you cannot say that about many bands. Just wow.

I am sure the Tidal concerts are all great. Here is the same lineup of the band performing a nearly 3 hour concert from December 8, 2017 (and it is free):

Sep 21, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #9,115 of 14,564
I was listening to Classical Classroom and they said something along the lines that Debussy is the father of jazz (IIRC). Makes me ask: Is Stravinsky heavily influenced by jazz or by Debussy?

https://sforzandosalon.wordpress.com/2012/09/25/debussy-the-father-of-jazz/
Sorry but I think that guy has a distorted view. Jazz has a clear lineage with American origin and African American roots: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jazz. Debussy as "father of jazz" is a ridiculous notion. I agree with the comment in his blog, "The father of jazz. Come on, now. Get a hold of yourself, sforzandosalon!"

Stravinsky had exposure to both jazz and Debussy in Europe and was influenced by both. He took things he heard in jazz and developed them in his own way.
http://www.kurrentmusic.com/blogviewer.html?blog-guid=536eb8c7-ef09-4397-8699-aa698d3fb238#

Sep 22, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #9,116 of 14,564
Modi 3 looks really cool. I add my congratulations, even as I am on the edge of my seat for the Gadget.

Sep 22, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #9,117 of 14,564
I had the opportunity to see Vladimir Ashkenazy conducting the Sydney Symphony Orchestra last night. In addition to highlights from Tchaikovsky and Prokofiev's respective Romeo and Juliet suites, Arabella Steinbacher playing Bruch's Violin Concerto in G Minor Op 26 was a highlight.

To those that chimed in on the recommendations, thank you. I don't have the ability to describe the performance with any style or eloquence, so I'll just say that I was awestruck.

We're seeing Evita tonight, and I can't wait. The Opera house is a breathtaking venue, and definitely a place to put on your bucket lists.

I'm going to pick up a few of the CDs, and it will be interesting to compare some of the recordings to the live performances.

Equally important - I just found a place in Sydney that has Yggy's in stock!!! I can finally maybe hear an Yggy. Today's our anniversary, so it might be wise to wait until tomorrow. :)

Sep 22, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #9,118 of 14,564
Re: Mojlnir2 (spelling) build. @SchiitFerBrainz ... I appreciated your latest build video on YouTube... It was shmooth. I find the comments sections in YT potentially toxic. I’d rather post my musing here (for your amusement).

I appreciated how you articulated how you use modified tools to secure the insulated MOSFETs (so THAT’S how one secures these little heat sinks to the aluminum board w/o a short-circuit). And the picture-in-picture made me go, ah-ha! Before I warped the minds of teenagers, I used to work in the very competitive food manuafacturing industry. I still remember us doing tours for buyers & marketing big-wigs... and the R&D department rushing around the production floor, having me cover proprietary (i.e., equipment our production staff kludged together) equipment to give us the competitve edge over other manufacturers. Who knew vegetarian food production was so cut-throat!
As a university graduate, I was always humbled by the creative solutions our production staff figured out “on the line”. (Production-Smarts) > (my B.Sc. Food Science & Animal Science).

Hell, we even re-enacted that scene from the 80s flick, Sneakers where a person got paid to walk into our factory and nab the recipies. (Yes, they were able to walk in, take our binder-o-recipes, discreetly snap a photo of our walk in ovens & cooking times, and walk out, while wearing a smock & hair net & beard guard). Corporate espionage and vegitarian wieners & deli slices?! There was schiit to pay, and our ingredient bags & forumulae were encoded! I got to sign my first non-disclosure agreement (which has long expired thankyouverymuch).

I’ve noticed that you DON’T show the monitors while flashing the onboard BIOS (?). Smart. Common sense tells me that you’d NEVER show the code that goes into making thes boards “work”. And common sense also tells me that you show yer bosses what you’re about to post so that they can vett it.

Your videos DO affect my buying patterns. They instill product loyalty. I appreciate there’s a HUMAN BEING assembling my toys (and I keep this in mind if I ever decide to contact customer support and bitch & moan about my gear [the assemblers take the time to do it right]). I’m your ambassador whenever I rave about my Schiit xyz... And I tell my friends about it, and they tell their friends about Schiit, and so on, and so on, and so on (reference to a 1980s shampoo commercial [heh heh]).

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #9,119 of 14,564
I'll be going to the Saturday concert. On the program, the piece I'm especially looking forward to is the Stravinsky Violin Concerto. Next Friday I will be going to Stravinsky's L’Histoire du Soldat (The Soldier's Tale), a work I love. It is heavily influenced by jazz, and at this concert the principal instruments will be played by jazz musicians (Regina Carter violin and Sean Jones trumpet). One of the most memorable SF Symphony concerts I've been to was L’Histoire with Sir Patrick Stewart (Capt. Picard of TNG) as narrator.

Speaking of the SF Symphony, I will make a bold prediction. MTT is stepping down as music director in 2020, and I predict that they will appoint Finnish conductor Susanna Mälkki.
Going on Saturday too! I wish I would also do L'Histoire but my wife puts a limit on how many consecutive days we have to drive to concerts, and we are also going to Yo-Yo Ma in Berkeley that Sunday.

Sep 22, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #9,120 of 14,564
I was listening to Classical Classroom and they said something along the lines that Debussy is the father of jazz (IIRC). Makes me ask: Is Stravinsky heavily influenced by jazz or by Debussy?

https://sforzandosalon.wordpress.com/2012/09/25/debussy-the-father-of-jazz/
I have to read the whole thing, but that title is pure clickbait. Sure, Debussy modal techniques were adopted by key jazz musicians in the 50s and 60s, and they are still evident in some of the Cuban piano school (Chucho Valdés, Gonzalo Rubalcaba, ...) as well as sometimes in Brad Mehldau or Vijay Iyer, but there's so much more in jazz that has little to do with Debussy, whether we are listening to traditional New Orleans, to the blues and stride-based improvisations of someone like Jason Moran, to the hip-hop inflected work of Christian Scott, or to free jazz and its contemporary offspring. I listen to a lot of live jazz, I hear early 20th century classical influences sometimes, but nothing ever that could be called fatherhood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back