What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Jun 22, 2018 at 5:48 PM Post #8,447 of 14,566
Ah yes, 60 grams of coffee beans become OVER NINE THOUSANNNND grams of ground coffee when you grind them into small pieces, because physics.

Italian coffee culture has become increasingly isolated in the "third wave" of coffee sourced to single farms, not least because the so-called "Italian roast" is second only to the "Spanish roast" in terms of the extremely dark character of the roast, and the longer you cook it, the less it tastes like where it came from and the more it tastes like undifferentiated ashtray. World of Coffee 2018 has been going on for a few days now, and I've met a bunch of Canadians, Swedes, Danes, Americans, Brits, Germans, Dutch (of course), some Belgians, an Argentine—but I don't recall speaking to any Italians. Now, I'm sure they're there, and of course Rocket is famous for the espresso machines, but I think it's telling that—especially in terms of grinders—the Germans seem to be taking over.

Jun 22, 2018 at 6:17 PM Post #8,448 of 14,566
I think the Germans are much better at building machines than any Italian will ever be.
They suck at making coffee however.
As for the roast, you're right. I too like the lesser roasted coffee better.
The grinder I use has (like most) a big glass jar on top so grinding more than one needs is no item.
There's no need to lecture me on physics as I am sure my knowledge of that far outreaches yours.
I hope you enjoy your stay in Amsterdam. The Dutch are very liberal, broadminded people.
Never fast to judge someone or become parrots of others. That has to please you very much.
I know you'll refuse but you are welcome to come over for coffee.
Maybe, just maybe, you'll find out it's easy to misjudge a character.
Anyhow... have fun in Europe.

Jun 22, 2018 at 10:51 PM Post #8,449 of 14,566
OMG!! OK. Maybe it's just me, but for that price it needs to roast, grind, brew, pour my coffee, bring it to me in the bedroom, and then finish the coffee drinking experience with a 'Happy Ending' -- EVERY MORNING for the REST OF MY LIFE!! :astonished:

Yep, and some people are totally satisfied with iBuds and Beats for sound reproduction....................:ksc75smile:

Jun 23, 2018 at 1:15 AM Post #8,450 of 14,566
^^^Indeed.

Note: I hope my post re: the TOTL Coffee Grinder was not received as condescending. Sometimes my sarcastic humor gets the best of me.

I fault no one for seeking to acquire the best of anything, whether it is a home, car, audio gear, etc. Just as there are folks with discerning ears that help educate us and advance audio, there are knowledgeable folks with discerning palettes that help expose us to new things other than audio. It just happens that we have folks here with many passions (audio, wine, beer, scotch, whisk(e)y, coffee) and I for one am appreciative of their willingness to share and educate -- even if my dry and snarky humor does not seem to indicate that I do. :wink:

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2018 at 2:43 AM Post #8,451 of 14,566
At least with EK43, you never need to install a USB driver.

However, you do need to weigh the beans before you stick them in. There's no weighing gadgetry built in.

Also, I've found a scale I can recommend! It does tenths of a gram:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XP7PPF9/

I don't think you'd approve of my coffee making methods ..... take a disposable plastic spoon, and put 5 scoops of beans into the 5 dollar Hamilton Beach chopper (grinder) I bought off Facebook rummage. Eye it up to see if it looks right, add or take beans out if amount doesn't look right. Grind/Chop in a pulsing method for about 20-30 seconds, until the peaks of the grounds stop falling/churning in a fast manner. Open lid, look at grounds, if they appear too coarse, chop for for a few more seconds. Unplug grinder/chopper, wrap cord up, turn grinder upside down. Slam sides of grinder 4-6 times so that all of the grounds fall out of the grinding area, into the grinder cover. Dump grinds into 20 dollar Mr Coffee 4 cup coffee maker. Take plastic spoon and make a little mountain out of the grounds. Hit On and wait 5-10 minutes for coffee to brew. Forget it on burner for between 30-75 minutes, hitting the on switch again after an hour, to keep hot plate on. Make coffee with half & half, 2 sugars and a tiny dollop of da Vinci french vanilla syrup. Drink coffee, wishing your office had a 100 dollar bunn like your wife does at home, because the Mr coffee takes too long to brew and burns the coffee a tad. Decide it's still better then any cup of coffee you ever had at a Starbucks or Dunn Brother's. Drink coffee, listening to Schiit Stack, longing for Saturday and Bunn brewed coffee. Saturday comes and you love your coffee, but you're sad because you don't have a Schiit stack at home..... Whew. talk about a whisky fueled rant of nothingness. No offence taken if this gets flagged..

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2018 at 7:16 AM Post #8,452 of 14,566
I don't think you'd approve of my coffee making methods ..... take a disposable plastic spoon, and put 5 scoops of beans into the 5 dollar Hamilton Beach chopper (grinder) I bought off Facebook rummage. Eye it up to see if it looks right, add or take beans out if amount doesn't look right. Grind/Chop in a pulsing method for about 20-30 seconds, until the peaks of the grounds stop falling/churning in a fast manner. Open lid, look at grounds, if they appear too coarse, chop for for a few more seconds. Unplug grinder/chopper, wrap cord up, turn grinder upside down. Slam sides of grinder 4-6 times so that all of the grounds fall out of the grinding area, into the grinder cover. Dump grinds into 20 dollar Mr Coffee 4 cup coffee maker. Take plastic spoon and make a little mountain out of the grounds. Hit On and wait 5-10 minutes for coffee to brew. Forget it on burner for between 30-75 minutes, hitting the on switch again after an hour, to keep hot plate on. Make coffee with half & half, 2 sugars and a tiny dollop of da Vinci french vanilla syrup. Drink coffee, wishing your office had a 100 dollar bunn like your wife does at home, because the Mr coffee takes too long to brew and burns the coffee a tad. Decide it's still better then any cup of coffee you ever had at a Starbucks or Dunn Brother's. Drink coffee, listening to Schiit Stack, longing for Saturday and Bunn brewed coffee. Saturday comes and you love your coffee, but you're sad because you don't have a Schiit stack at home..... Whew. talk about a whisky fueled rant of nothingness. No offence taken if this gets flagged..

See...this is what turns coffee into art.

Jun 23, 2018 at 8:29 AM Post #8,453 of 14,566
OMG!! OK. Maybe it's just me, but for that price it needs to roast, grind, brew, pour my coffee, bring it to me in the bedroom, and then finish the coffee drinking experience with a 'Happy Ending' -- EVERY MORNING for the REST OF MY LIFE!! :astonished:
Just envision how many kinds of single malt scotch you could buy for that price!

Jun 23, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #8,456 of 14,566
Most taste-oriented hobbies are the same, whether it's audio, coffee, cars or fashion. All price ranges are represented.

Aye, I was referring more to my subjective brew methods. Everything is by look and feel. If anyone has recommendations on a good relatively inexpensive (100 or less) hand grinder I would be all ears. I'm not sure whether to go for steel or ceramic Burr grinder.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #8,457 of 14,566
Gosh, maybe I am doing coffee wrong,

750d3.jpg

$8.88 at Walmart.

0a0a5fed.jpg

$8.48 also at Walmart.

I might be a little too cheap...

:confused:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back