What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Jun 23, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #8,461 of 14,566
Last edited:
Jun 23, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #8,462 of 14,566
Tipped over from Jason's thread:
My suspicion all along about the technical aspects was that MQA's supposed benefits only showed up in the mediocre delta-sigma implementations that dominate consumer products, with off-the-shelf upsampling filters, not for more carefully designed delta-sigma DACs, let alone multibit DACs with excellent filters, or good NOS DACs. Archimago's measurements of MQA vs PCM, together with his blinded crowd-sourced evaluations show no evidence of MQA benefit for using good quality delta-sigma DACs. A serious, honest DAC manufacturer like Exogal who have worked long and hard on their designs would have nothing to benefit technically from MQA.
This is not the first company to openly question and discard the MQA stuff.
I think there's a very good chance it will be dead in just a few years.
Maybe Mike can give us a more sophisticated view on this.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #8,463 of 14,566
If anyone has recommendations on a good relatively inexpensive (100 or less) hand grinder I would be all ears. I'm not sure whether to go for steel or ceramic Burr grinder.

The Hario manual grinder is quite good. Not sure whether I'm allowed to post a link, but if you search for Hario manual coffee grinder it will come right up. They seem to have several versions, but we've been happy with the version that is about $40 on Amazon.

Jun 23, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #8,467 of 14,566
Tipped over from Jason's thread:

This is not the first company to openly question and discard the MQA stuff.
I think there's a very good chance it will be dead in just a few years.
Maybe Mike can give us a more sophisticated view on this.
IOW: It it sounds like ass, maybe MQA will make it sound like pompous ass. But the best is not to sound like ass to start with.

Jun 23, 2018 at 4:51 PM Post #8,468 of 14,566
I would probably skip the grounds and at least buy whole bean, but if you enjoy it, by all means have at it.
yup, there is an amazing world of coffee flavor that awaits you, MWSVette, if you look beyond your current selection. Coffee is as complex as wine.

And speaking of coffee, anything and everything you want to know about coffee and the industry can be found at https://dailycoffeenews.com.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2018 at 8:38 AM Post #8,470 of 14,566
https://www.baratza.com/get-excited-270wi/ This might take precedence over Yggy—I may leave the smart grinder pro at the weekend pad for pour overs and keep the espresso rig at the weekday.
I have a Breville Smart Grinder Pro which grinds into a little stainless dariole mold, sitting atop a 0.1g accurate scale.
Does the job, and gets me great consistency in my espressos

Jun 24, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #8,471 of 14,566
re: coffee grinders. I had a very nice Baratza Vario but after about a year the motor burned up. Very disappointing. I replaced it with a Capresso Infinity and it has been going strong for twice as long with no issues and is much easier to clean. YMMV.

Jun 24, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #8,472 of 14,566
Most taste-oriented hobbies are the same, whether it's audio, coffee, cars or fashion. All price ranges are represented.

Yep, even within my own coffee habit. I go to the store each week and pick up a different coffee. I enjoy all the different tastes/aromas/etc. (just like different headphones)!

Sometimes whole bean; sometimes ground. If it's whole bean, I grind it at the store. Can't stand the process of doing this at home...add the cleaning up/maintenance/etc., it's a non-starter for me.

:coffee: and :headphones:... a great combination! Add some dark chocolate or really good ice cream...all the better.

Jun 24, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #8,473 of 14,566
The Classic Dripper looks like the Chemex coffee brewer I owned in the 1970's. It is still being made.
Love my Chemex. Great coffee at a great price...

Jun 24, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #8,475 of 14,566
To each their own. I taste a dramatic difference between freshly ground and stale coffee. If you don’t, mazel tov!

Re the infinity — under $100, it might be the best there is. Don’t expect it to compete with a 3k industrial grinder with 10hp (lol) but for 97% of folks it’s most assuredly fine, and quite possibly an upgrade.

Talked to a Swedish roaster this morning. We agreed that roasting coffee exists to release and communicate flavor in the green coffee, not to impose flavor of its own. Also saw tales of Hoffmann today, will say more when I’m on deutsche bahn tomorrow.

Edit: roaster, not toaster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back