What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Apr 22, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #7,696 of 14,566
Here is a very good comparison of the Holo Spring KTE 3 against the Yggy A1 DAC by our trusted friend @Torq.
Lots of good insight and details here...I wonder if a comparison to the Yggy A2 is in the queue?

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ho...sune-tuned-edition.21984/reviews#review-17337
That comparison and another elsewhere is what made me get the Holo Spring originally, for the sake of auditory diversity. Later information indicates that the A2 upgrade opened up a gap with the Holo Spring. I'll eventually find out when my A1 gets upgraded. What I'll do then...

Apr 22, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #7,697 of 14,566
Here is a very good comparison of the Holo Spring KTE 3 against the Yggy A1 DAC by our trusted friend @Torq.
Lots of good insight and details here...I wonder if a comparison to the Yggy A2 is in the queue?

I would say "not by me".

The closest I'm likely to get to that is to point out that I sold my Spring DAC KTE/L3 last year, but still have an Yggdrasil (which has been upgraded to Analog 2/USB Gen 5). I'll leave people to draw their own conclusions from that.

And somewhere around, a little bit ago, I posted a few thoughts on the original Yggdrasil vs. the Analog 2 updated version, from when I had both at the same time (short version - I think the upgrade is well worthwhile). Beyond that, I have no plans to do any more DAC reviews/comparisons. I just did a major reset of my primary headphone rig and am not even thinking about further upgrades there for the foreseeable future, beyond possibly adding a standalone M-Scaler if/when one appears, and adding the odd new headphone if there's useful progress in that area.

Apr 23, 2018 at 9:04 PM Post #7,698 of 14,566
Fresh off three ballets this past weekend. Saw the SF Ballet's Unbound A and B. If you're in SF (or have the means to come here) I can't recommend them (and especially A) highly enough. The third act—in sneakers, casual, shiny clothes, and with a pop score, felt thrillingly contemporary. The fact that I appreciated the music is speaks for itself, but the choreography was intimate, moving, and raw. So many ballets discourse on the tired spectacle of a boy or two chasing a girl. SF Ballet has really engaged the present moment whole hog and let the tutus and heteronormativity find their rightful place on the scrapheap of history. Smuin Ballet, which did the third ballet, purports to be the home of Contemporary American Ballet, but left a lot to be desired conceptually. I don't know that I'll resubscribe.

I've assembled my thoughts on my new toy for your reading pleasure here. My opinion of the internal DAC improved in a more rigorous a/b setting. Buy used, not new, and only if classical and acoustic music are a primary genre. Pop music is not well served by them, and is at best not unpleasant (and extremely clear).

Apr 23, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #7,699 of 14,566
Excellent write up! Thank you.

Apr 23, 2018 at 11:49 PM Post #7,700 of 14,566
Listening to the Newbould completion of Schubert's fragmentary seventh symphony. Some of the schiit he pulls in the finale sounds strikingly twentieth century.

Apr 24, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #7,702 of 14,566
Bosie - your review is the headline story on Head-Fi.org!
Well done, mate. One of our own, made it to the big time.

DITTO!

Apr 25, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #7,709 of 14,566
RE: Yggdrasil 2, I wonder where the cue stands # wise?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back