What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Apr 20, 2018 at 11:23 PM Post #7,681 of 14,566
Apr 21, 2018 at 5:22 AM Post #7,682 of 14,566
Stralian maybe? He did, mainly, use English words, even if they might not be familiar to some people

edit, I found :
"Filter calculations here are executed by a SHARC DSP processor, also from Analog Devices, which, according to Moffat, bumps the digital filter’s parts cost beyond that of an entire Bifrost."
rather hard to believe unless there is an enormous mark-up on the Bifrost.

Yes, he is Australian, living in Germany now, I believe.

Apr 21, 2018 at 8:48 AM Post #7,684 of 14,566
He said it's a knockout of a dac. And I think he said his reference dac is still better at 3 times the price but if he feeds the Yggy with the high end streamer he's using into his reference dac and feeds the reference dac with an Auralic Aries the Yggy takes the upper hand and sounds better than his 3 times price reference dac which means even with Gen5 people should pay attention to their digital source. Whew, there ya go! I think...:)

Buy a Yggy, you won't regret it!

Apr 21, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #7,686 of 14,566
Tubes, multibit, and The Gadget. You can only have two. Which do you choose?

EDIT: Should I post this on Jason's thread?
My experience:

Multibit: My (now my daughter's) Bifrost went through 2 upgrades to Gen 5 Bimby. I've loved my Yggy since I got it, now on the queue for the uber upgrade to Analog 2+Gen 5. From trustworthy sources (which I cannot link to for reasons), this will also be a valuable step up. I own two other very good DACs (Holo Spring KTE 3, Soekris dac1541), but the Yggy is my reference.
Tubes: I thought tubes were a retro affectation (like vinyl :wink:) and stayed firmly on solid-state land until I was tempted by the Lyr 3 (with new Tung-Sol tube). Wow, this little amp holds its own and more against the 2.5x more expensive Neurochrome HP-1, which had replaced the Jot I gave my daughter with the Bimby. If I'm not careful, I'll be tube-rolling anytime now...

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #7,687 of 14,566
Not everyone, and, fewer and fewer can get in on owning premium NOS tubes.
Crazy thing is, the Lyr 3 with the new low-cost Tung-Sol (heresy, a not-NOS tube!) sounds divine.

Apr 21, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #7,688 of 14,566
Crazy thing is, the Lyr 3 with the new low-cost Tung-Sol (heresy, a not-NOS tube!) sounds divine.
I think all tubes are fun...some just sound better and that's part of the adventure.

I have a fun theory about NOS tubes. They had hands touching the parts leaving behind fingerprint oil, the right amount in the right place imparts a special sonic signature!

I am gambling on the gadget to do more to sweeten any music to taste more so than tubes so that's future fun to find out.:)

Go ahead, the rabbit hole is calling....

Apr 21, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #7,689 of 14,566
Well, I was sown and grown in :flag_gb:

No England flag here, by St.George!

Good things come from the UK. Got this out on the road today.
upload_2018-4-21_15-18-30.png

Apr 22, 2018 at 2:24 AM Post #7,690 of 14,566
My own choice would probably be gadget and multibit; my criticism of MJ2 (to the extent that I have one) is that it sounds to my ears so neutral and uncolored that it might as well be solid state. Maybe I need more euphonic tubes? My ongoing interest in the more expensive Woo amps is euphony from beginning to end. I would never buy new, of course, but perhaps used for ~50% MSRP.

I'm very excited about the next iteration of the Gadget. The prototype I heard at the Schiitr revealed a sophisticated approach to pitch adjustment that had a tangibly positive effect on much of the music I fed it.

Apr 22, 2018 at 4:21 AM Post #7,691 of 14,566
Good things come from the UK. Got this out on the road today.
BRG MGB, tan interior, classic.
I've driven a few of those but that was in my Lotus 7 daily driver days, so I probably didn't appreciate them as much then as I would now.
Nearby in my neighbourhood a guy has 2 big Squealeys (pretty sure at least one is a 100/6) sometimes see them when I'm walking the dogs (2 is a bit greedy I think :))

Apr 22, 2018 at 7:28 AM Post #7,692 of 14,566
My own choice would probably be gadget and multibit; my criticism of MJ2 (to the extent that I have one) is that it sounds to my ears so neutral and uncolored that it might as well be solid state. Maybe I need more euphonic tubes? My ongoing interest in the more expensive Woo amps is euphony from beginning to end. I would never buy new, of course, but perhaps used for ~50% MSRP.

I'm very excited about the next iteration of the Gadget. The prototype I heard at the Schiitr revealed a sophisticated approach to pitch adjustment that had a tangibly positive effect on much of the music I fed it.

I'm constantly surprised at how neutral in overall sound the MJ2 is and yes, it compares very well with my Ragnarok. Tube choice can alter the personality a bit but still, the MJ2 is and honest sounding devise.

During the decades I was in to 2 channel and frequenting the high end audio shops of the day there were several occasions when someone could come into a store, state something to the effect that they wanted to listen to the most accurate / neutral system in the store. Most of the time they ended up preferring something a little more... forgiving, LOL.

It generally boils down to the recordings themselves which tend to be the weakest link. No matter how accomplished the pieces that follow it in the chain, one cannot fix problems with the the recording. And while gadget will adjust pitch (which will be a new experience for me), it can't fix things like mic placement, highlighting, limiting / compression issues, etc.
Sometimes the more ruthless the chain of equipment following the recording the less satisfying the overall experience can be. Only being able to enjoy a handful of recordings would have driven me away from high end audio 5 decades ago. Sometimes a little forgiveness goes a long way.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #7,694 of 14,566
My experience:

Multibit: My (now my daughter's) Bifrost went through 2 upgrades to Gen 5 Bimby. I've loved my Yggy since I got it, now on the queue for the uber upgrade to Analog 2+Gen 5. From trustworthy sources (which I cannot link to for reasons), this will also be a valuable step up. I own two other very good DACs (Holo Spring KTE 3, Soekris dac1541), but the Yggy is my reference.
Tubes: I thought tubes were a retro affectation (like vinyl :wink:) and stayed firmly on solid-state land until I was tempted by the Lyr 3 (with new Tung-Sol tube). Wow, this little amp holds its own and more against the 2.5x more expensive Neurochrome HP-1, which had replaced the Jot I gave my daughter with the Bimby. If I'm not careful, I'll be tube-rolling anytime now...
Here is a very good comparison of the Holo Spring KTE 3 against the Yggy A1 DAC by our trusted friend @Torq.
Lots of good insight and details here...I wonder if a comparison to the Yggy A2 is in the queue?

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ho...sune-tuned-edition.21984/reviews#review-17337

Apr 22, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #7,695 of 14,566

Users who are viewing this thread

Back