What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Feb 8, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #6,781 of 14,565
Feb 8, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #6,782 of 14,565
You should never hear noise from a USB DAC when a computer is doing something. If it is only until gen 5 this problem has been resolved then Schiit has been selling products with this issue for years and now you get the pleasure to pay them for an upgrade to fix a problem that far cheaper products do not have. I don't know how anyone could see that as a positive.

I've been using my Bifrost (with regular Gen 2 USB) for over 4 years and I haven't had any problems with noise.

PS: I feel like this thread is under some kind of coordinated trolls/shills attack, to be honest. Quite unusual activity.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #6,783 of 14,565
Good for you but others have and that has been measured as such.

So my anecdote vs someone else's anecdote. Is there an actual evidence of widespread issue affecting an inordinate amount of users?

Feb 8, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #6,785 of 14,565
Edit2: @amirm Is this robbertbudding the guy that send you the BiFrost? Are you absolutely sure you can trust someone with this kind of a point to make? I read what you say on here and you seem unbiased and not out for blood. (But what about the people that send you stuff?) Did you ever check if the bifrost was opened prior to your testing?
No, the person who loaned me is in the first page of my review thread and goes by a different alias. And he sent me both of his Schiit products (Bifrost and Sys) because he bought an RME DAC.

As to trusting people, unless you are telling me they have the ability to degrade the performance of an audio product while it still produces music, I say yes. :) I am testing their audio product, not the person himself.

As to BiFrost, I was told to not open it. I did look at it though and there is no tamper proof tag on it to know if it has or has not be opened. Is there a way to tell?

Let's agree if some motivation leads to me getting a unit to measure and get more data in the wild, ultimately that is good for all of us.

Feb 8, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #6,786 of 14,565
I'm not sure what you intended to prove by this. I think it's hilarious that a response to someone who had issues with a brand of product that you post all your products from that brand. Was the intent to spite them? Maybe you should buy another two Schiit products then. That will really get 'em. The Bifrost (pre gen 5) and Modi 2 do not perform well from a less than pristine USB port as has been shown. Products that are far cheaper in price do not have this issue. You should never hear noise from a USB DAC when a computer is doing something. If it is only until gen 5 this problem has been resolved then Schiit has been selling products with this issue for years and now you get the pleasure to pay them for an upgrade to fix a problem that far cheaper products do not have. I don't know how anyone could see that as a positive. My impression seems to be that it's broken and years later you get to pay for the fix. Maybe the dire performance of the Schiit products with USB was the reason for the Wyrd existing but it's not a good value proposition to require a $99 Wyrd to fix a problem that a $99 Modi 2 has when a cheaper Fiio E10K doesn't have the problem in the first place.

OK, lets take these things one at a time.

No I am not trying to prove anything. The poster stated they purchased 4 pieces of Schiity equipment. No spite, just found it odd one would repeat the same mistake over and over.

As far as more Schiit I actually bought a Schiit Valhalla 2 today from a fellow Head-fier and intend to pick up a Loki, an Octal Lisst and one of the new remotes for the Saga/Freya sometime in the future. So probably more than two.

Never said a word about noise. Schiit has always stated they recommend coax or optical, because well USB for audio sucks. I use Wyrd's not for any sonic improvement or noise issue. I use them because they allow me to run longer USB cables from my computer.

And by the way I also have a ton of other equipment including, Parasound, Emotiva, Airist Audio and Fiio.

I guess my recommendation for you would be don't buy any Schiit.

And now where is that ignore button...

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #6,787 of 14,565
No, the person who loaned me is in the first page of my review thread and goes by a different alias. And he sent me both of his Schiit products (Bifrost and Sys) because he bought an RME DAC.

As to trusting people, unless you are telling me they have the ability to degrade the performance of an audio product while it still produces music, I say yes. :) I am testing their audio product, not the person himself.

As to BiFrost, I was told to not open it. I did look at it though and there is no tamper proof tag on it to know if it has or has not be opened. Is there a way to tell?

Let's agree if some motivation leads to me getting a unit to measure and get more data in the wild, ultimately that is good for all of us.
Thank you for your reply. I hope there still is room for dialogue on your side of things as well.
Please try and convince the guy who lent you the unit to send it in and test it again. Or better yet, test another unit and see if its similar.
I really can`t imagine the Bifrost being that bad. Granted I only heard the ModiMB, Gungnir and Yggy, but still.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #6,788 of 14,565
Now. this is where I have to disagree.
My nephew's mother's sister in law from the Alien side of the family lives on the moon.
The depth of your living craters is a measure of nobility.
The deeper the crater the more standing it gives you.
So.. my nephew's mother's sister in law's housekeeper for example lives on Mons Huygens which by it's height is the lowest you can get.
Pietro! Finally - we missed you in this discussion! The voice of reason.

C'mon folks - here are the obvious conclusions...
1) Schiit DACs sound better and are out-selling the competition,
2) These are just hired hit-trolls at $25 per post,
3) There is one main troll and 2-3 trolls in training.
Don't feed 'em. They will go away soon enough.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #6,789 of 14,565
Please try and convince the guy who lent you the unit to send it in and test it again. Or better yet, test another unit and see if its similar.
He wants to sell it and it is not my place to ask him to do anything with it.

I am however fully willing to test another unit. I assume I am in a thread with tons of owners of this product. Whoever owns it and cares about re-verification of this result, please PM me and I will provide the shipping information.

For now, as noted my results pretty much match that of atomicbom so I am not hopeful there will be any variation.

Feb 8, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #6,790 of 14,565
Pietro! Finally - we missed you in this discussion! The voice of reason.

C'mon folks - here are the obvious conclusions...
1) Schiit DACs sound better and are out-selling the competition,
2) They've hired hit-trolls at $25 per post,
3) There is one main troll and 2-3 trolls in training.
Don't feed 'em. They will go away soon enough.
nobody is trolling....

Feb 8, 2018 at 4:51 PM Post #6,791 of 14,565
He wants to sell it and it is not my place to ask him to do anything with it.

I am however fully willing to test another unit. I assume I am in a thread with tons of owners of this product. Whoever owns it and cares about re-verification of this result, please PM me and I will provide the shipping information.

For now, as noted my results pretty much match that of atomicbom so I am not hopeful there will be any variation.
Is he aware he wants to sell a, what the guy who made it calls, defect product?

Feb 8, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #6,793 of 14,565
Nope I am saying that the guy who made it calls it a broken unit. I am not personally claiming anything :)
I never even heard a Bifrost. Learn to read people. You completely missed the point in BALDR`s reply. I`m done with this.
Amirm I hope you will check in again to tell us about the results.

Feb 8, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #6,795 of 14,565
Is atomic Bob a troll. He shows the same exceptionally poor linearity.

From my understanding (admittedly very limited), it's not exceptionally poor; it's still fully linear down to, what, -70dBFS? And only -5dB at -80dBFS? I think it's about what you'd expect from a relatively inexpensive multibit DAC, no? Low-level linearity is an inherent weakness of R2R technology. Whether it can be heard at this level is up to debate...

By the way, I couldn't find any linearity measurements of Yggdrasil... Does anyone know if such were made by anyone?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back