What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Aug 28, 2017 at 7:30 AM Post #4,443 of 14,566
I'm looking at the Emotiva T1 speakers with great interest. Does anyone have any experience with them?

I purchased the Airmotiv T2s right after they were introduced. I'm very happy with them and imagine the T1s have a similar family sound. The tweeter is the same as I recall. I've got a single Vidar running them from my MJ2 preout.

Similarly, I bought the B1's for our home office...thinking if we liked them, we'd fill out the rest of 5.1 system -- which we'll be doing.

That said, we're going with the T2's since they're only $300 more for the pair and hopefully will provide an upgrade in the overall sound experience.

Aug 28, 2017 at 8:01 AM Post #4,444 of 14,566
How would you describe that 'family sound'?
Can anyone really describe a sound for another??? From my experience speakers manufacturers often build a line like the Emotiva Airmotiv series to share some intangibles. While I can listen to my T2s and comment on how they please me I can't do the necessary comparisons that speaker shopping requires.

I find in my room these speakers have good bass for the classical I listen to, even much organ music--though they probably don't get the sub-bass that comes on some recordings. I listen to a lot of bassists and whether that is electric or double bass the character and decay is alive for me. The trebles are clear and well separated from the mids without being strident or harsh. Vocals, snare rim shots, and solo instruments are realistically present. With my setup I get a routinely good soundstage with the occasional surprise "Where did that come from?". Jazz

These $1000 speakers marry well to my system and I find myself listening to them much more than when I was using my JBL studio monitors. I'm very pleased with mine and believe their essential character in a slightly smaller tower, with the same ribbon tweeter, and comparable though smaller mid-range and woofers, would be recognizable. I haven't listened to the T1s so I can't directly compare them.

Aug 31, 2017 at 3:47 AM Post #4,446 of 14,566
My Gumby finally has a gen 5 input card. I live in Singapore, and cost of factory installation would have been prohibitive, so it's a diy job. I have to admit the LEDs are not in their tiny sockets, but i can live with it for now.

Sound? I started with USB direct, then used a Breeze Audio Xmos interface in between (better imaging, maybe better clarity). With gen 5 the evolution of sound seems to have continued - even less glare and more like what i recall analogue sounded like. I'm not "hearing things I never heard before", but it feels as if I'll be able to listen a lot more without fatigue. Just more composed and flowing.

It's not a night and day transformation, just as the first step using the Xmos interface was not a huge step, but for the price - amazing!

Aug 31, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #4,447 of 14,566
My Gumby finally has a gen 5 input card. I live in Singapore, and cost of factory installation would have been prohibitive, so it's a diy job. I have to admit the LEDs are not in their tiny sockets, but i can live with it for now.

Sound? I started with USB direct, then used a Breeze Audio Xmos interface in between (better imaging, maybe better clarity). With gen 5 the evolution of sound seems to have continued - even less glare and more like what i recall analogue sounded like. I'm not "hearing things I never heard before", but it feels as if I'll be able to listen a lot more without fatigue. Just more composed and flowing.

It's not a night and day transformation, just as the first step using the Xmos interface was not a huge step, but for the price - amazing!

There are probably tips all over the web to align the LEDs, I haven't checked. Did mine two days ago. Intuitively what I did was tape the button in place from the outside. Then set Gumby on end like a book on a smooth flat surface. Looking down from the top edge I carefully pulled the LEDs out so they looked like stair steps coming up, that way you can see each led. It doesn't take much. Make sure when you do this they are square and perpendicular to the holes as best you can. The bottom led is pulled out the farthest. The next one a little less, and so on. Then sliding the cover on a tiny bit at a time you can look down and see how each led lines up, first the bottom one, then the next one up, and the next, etc, and adjust accordingly. After a few tries they all slid through their respective holes for me. Having it on edge ensures that as you slide the cover on it doesn't wiggle but is always square to the chassis. I guess I should say there are no user serviceable parts inside.:L3000:

Gen5 is a superb upgrade. For 100 bucks it's almost a give away compared to all the reclockers etc. etc. out there.

Great job Mike! Thank you.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #4,448 of 14,566
For some reason I can't listen to Richard Strauss. To me, it is always very busy, but also very empty music (contrary to Mahler, who's music I love). According to a friend of mine who is very deep into art, this emptiness is on purpose, it is to show how empty our existence is. I don't know if I remember his explanation correctly. Maybe I will one time reach the maturity to like Richard Strauss, but up till now, I resist it with a passion.

In Jason's thread we had audiophile confessions, this is my classical music confession......
One of my first classical favorites was Bahn Frei Polka by Strauss at the start of every Jean Shepherd show. Sheer lunacy.

Aug 31, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #4,449 of 14,566
I'm seriously considering buying JIL to replace a first generation Apogee Duet firewire ADC. Am I right to expect that JIL will most likely be a sonic improvement over the Duet?

Also, apologies if this is a daft question, but does JIL's input gain knob operate in the analogue or digital domain?

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #4,450 of 14,566
One of my first classical favorites was Bahn Frei Polka by Strauss at the start of every Jean Shepherd show. Sheer lunacy.

I don't that piece, but are you sure you are talking about RICHARD Strauss?

Aug 31, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #4,452 of 14,566
The context was not "favorite", it was someone expressing a desire to start listening to classical music for the first time. So, lol - no Bartok or Schoenberg !
Early pre-atonal Schoenberg would still be good for a beginner. Verklarte Nacht (either the string sextet or the fully orchestrated version) is not a difficult listen, but very intense and emotional.

Aug 31, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #4,453 of 14,566
I don't that piece, but are you sure you are talking about RICHARD Strauss?
Ha, at first I was amused at the thought of a polka by Richard Strauss, but it turns out he actually composed a few when he was a kid (before he was 10 years old!).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_compositions_by_Richard_Strauss (some performances on YouTube if you want to hear them)

Aug 31, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #4,454 of 14,566
Early pre-atonal Schoenberg would still be good for a beginner. Verklarte Nacht (either the string sextet or the fully orchestrated version) is not a difficult listen, but very intense and emotional.

First time I heard OF Gurrelieder, it was described as the culmination of late-romantic excess... and I was like "they are saying it like it's bad - this sounds like it could be my jam" - indeed it was - own many versions!

v

Aug 31, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #4,455 of 14,566
How can one even state there's something as classical music for beginners?
Just like modern music one has to let it come over oneself and experience it.
It's the notion that it's "difficult" or "something you have to learn to listen to" that makes it part inaccessible.
Stop making big pooh-ha and blabla about classical music or pretended knowledge of it.
Nerdy and or snobbish quotes about it just makes one ... well... a nerd or a snob.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back