What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Aug 26, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #4,426 of 14,566
For the record:
I am not against the nicknames. I just get confused because of the inconsequent use of forementioned niknames.

LOL. That's why I went straight to a Yggdrasil out of the starting gate, so I wouldn't need to remember all the various nick names, at my age I'm starting to run low on little gray cells to store info in!

Aug 26, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #4,428 of 14,566
What's all this noise about Mahler?? I thought this was the opera thread! :o2smile:
Just kidding of course, though I will admit the late, long-winded romantics are not may favorite: I have just one Mahler symphony cycle (Bernstein). I guess my attention span is too short.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #4,429 of 14,566
What's all this noise about Mahler?? I thought this was the opera thread! :o2smile:
Just kidding of course, though I will admit the late, long-winded romantics are not may favorite: I have just one Mahler symphony cycle (Bernstein). I guess my attention span is too short.

he - same thing I assume of people who doesn't love the late long-winded romantics I revere and adore hehehe :D (I kid, I kid)

That said - yes, those were my first love - so much is that I preferred an unknown obscure late long-winded romantic ( Siegmund von Hausseger, anyone?)
to anything baroque, included the masterpieces from Papa Bach or the kids or Haendel, etc - well

until now

Lately something clicked - specially with Papa Bach - enjoying a lot things, like Masses and oratories, Die Kunst Der Fugue and the Cello suites. Also the Haendel oratorios... guess is never too late for anything!

v

Aug 26, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #4,431 of 14,566
I would be a long hair but unfortunately I am balding... Haha :deadhorse:

New album is pretty decent. Sounds good fuelled by my Gumby :beerchug:

Aug 26, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #4,433 of 14,566
Lately something clicked - specially with Papa Bach - enjoying a lot things, like Masses and oratories, Die Kunst Der Fugue and the Cello suites. Also the Haendel oratorios... guess is never too late for anything!
Let me then recommend some JSB solo instrument favorites: Helmut Walcha's "Great Organ Works", Pierre Fournier's "Cello Suites", Midori's "Sonatas & Partitas for Solo Violin", Richard Egarr's "The English Suites", and anything by András Schiff on ECM. His "Goldberg Variations", which I just cued up, are almost overwhelming. I've been lucky to hear Schiff solo in concert a couple of times, there's something about his interpretations that uniquely opens up the ears and mind.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2017 at 7:34 PM Post #4,434 of 14,566
Two points: The first (please no guffaws or coffee spit-ups) - when one considers toe-tapping, structure, etc. It is not a huge leap from baroque (particularly a fugue) to Bluegrass. All the more remarkable considering that Bluegrass is generally composed by musical illiterates who sometimes remember every note, other times improvise. Case in point, Glen Campbell, a guitar player with the chops to get in to the Wrecking Crew who could not read music at all.

The second: An overlooked genre which demands to be heard is Mexican Baroque. If you haven't sold your soul in exchange for the hell of exclusive streaming and can still spin a disk, this can be had for a buck and a half plus four more for shipping:

https://smile.amazon.com/Mexican-Ba...id=1503790269&sr=8-1&keywords=Mexican+Baroque

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Aug 27, 2017 at 12:01 AM Post #4,435 of 14,566
Aug 27, 2017 at 6:16 AM Post #4,436 of 14,566
I just listened to the new Queens of the Stone Age opus. Homme has hit another one out of the park, sure to please ALL the long-hairs.

Agreed!!

Aug 27, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #4,437 of 14,566
Let me then recommend some JSB solo instrument favorites: Helmut Walcha's "Great Organ Works", Pierre Fournier's "Cello Suites", Midori's "Sonatas & Partitas for Solo Violin", Richard Egarr's "The English Suites", and anything by András Schiff on ECM. His "Goldberg Variations", which I just cued up, are almost overwhelming. I've been lucky to hear Schiff solo in concert a couple of times, there's something about his interpretations that uniquely opens up the ears and mind.

Thanks so much - All recommendations sound solid and re: Pierre Fournier's Suites in Arkiv, hires sourced from HD Tracks, is one of the two interpretations I own - the other being Slava's EMI (well, Warner), latest LP pressing (first pressing actually! - it was never issued on LP, so there you go)

John Eliot Gardiner's budget Papa Bach's box is a goto recently.

Thnx!

v

Aug 27, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #4,438 of 14,566
Two points: The first (please no guffaws or coffee spit-ups) - when one considers toe-tapping, structure, etc. It is not a huge leap from baroque (particularly a fugue) to Bluegrass. All the more remarkable considering that Bluegrass is generally composed by musical illiterates who sometimes remember every note, other times improvise. Case in point, Glen Campbell, a guitar player with the chops to get in to the Wrecking Crew who could not read music at all.

The second: An overlooked genre which demands to be heard is Mexican Baroque. If you haven't sold your soul in exchange for the hell of exclusive streaming and can still spin a disk, this can be had for a buck and a half plus four more for shipping:

https://smile.amazon.com/Mexican-Ba...id=1503790269&sr=8-1&keywords=Mexican+Baroque

1) First of all, the music - OMG Prof. Baldr! - I am amazed you know this - I do own two of Chanticleer's Mexican Baroque discs (can't remember if there are more) - the one you posted above and this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Jerusalem-Matins-Virgin-Guadalupe-1764/dp/B000005825

or if you want a more traditional Arkiv cover:

https://www.amazon.com/Jerusalem-Matins-Virgin-Guadalupe-Chanticleer/dp/B000V1V106

it is also a great party trick to play with people's expectations - what I always do is that I ask my friends, do you wanna hear some mexican music? Then I play those albums - MIND BLOWN! (they expect some ranchero music)

2) Indeed - still can spin a disc - in fact, pls allow me to make this post too long and say that for a bit I was lost in the woods of iPod usage, since around 2005 to 2012 until I decided to go back to having a system - vinyl based!

Changed equipment until I endedp up with an all Schiit stack + 1200, and it was wonderful. Now - before the iPod thing, I did a have system, along with a fairly big CD collection, mostly classical - 95%, at least. Started collecting vinyl; however , one day looked at that CD collection and thought:

1) I am never gonna rip all that - I mean, my low estimate is that there are >5000 CDs in there. Plus, I like my metadata to be perfect, so every CD rip is a bit time consuming, given that most classical metadata out there is not quite satisfactory so I have to at least correct it, most of the times, re-do it.

2) It is a waste not to listen to them

So went ahead and got a CD player, connected it thru digital out to a mimby.... I am telling you - I am falling in love with the CD format again. Every chance I get I tell my story - hopefully we can spearhead a CD revival as cool and hip as the vinyl revival! :D

v

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back