What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Jan 26, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #316 of 14,566
I love pop-rock and jazz instrumentalists like Satriani, Vai, Lee Ritenour, and more recently Nili Brosh. There's a great fusion band out there called Volto! feat. Danny Carey from Tool on drums. Great chops and songwriting.

Listening to VOLTO! now.

Jan 27, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #318 of 14,566
Baldr said:

I have also written elsewhere that I rely on narrative and observational information to form a hypothesis. This is precisely how detectives solve murder cases. If experiments verify, then a hypothesis becomes scientific. Therefore I freely admit I rely on observational and narrative constructs in my engineering. Not to do so places any scientific progress in peril. As I have written before, my wife's favorite album of all time is Supertramp's Crime of the Century, so much so that she wants parts of it played at her funeral. When I play it with a multibit Bifrost and Yggy, she repeatedly cries. When I play it to her on a variety of DS DACs, she does not. She has no dog in any fight, and does not give a Schiit what DAC she is listening to. There are many other similar stories. I am investigating them as does a murder detective at the expense of a lot of time. More may be revealed. I also freely admit that (although I do not know all of the reasons why – still working on it) that while practicing my hobby of listening to music in a relaxed manner I prefer multi-bit. That is for me only. You may judge me delusional, agree, or like DS. All that is none of my business.

"Trust, but verify"
RONALD REAGAN

So I wasn't looking for this week to be all that interesting considering lots of tedious ********. Suddenly, my mind wandered to my office stereo.  I decided I wanted a new and better DAC and I wanted to go balanced like my "stereo system". I began to think back on driving to Leesburg, VA in the 1980s to see Sheffield Edwards and listen to systems throughout his house.  That was an entirely different experience than how I built my desktop stereo.  My Bifrost Multibit is just now coming into it's own as they say. My LYR-2 is a reasonable amp and very reasonable for the money. All this was purchased from reviews. I never heard one piece before buying them.  (The 15 day listening period is excellent- but unnecessary for me) I was just about geared up to buy a Yggy this week.  Kind of excited - I spoke with a great friend on Monday who works for PASS Labs now and discussed single ended vs balanced. I want a balanced system because it's better I said - He opened my eyes...single ended is FINE! Not to mention by the time I update my cables to what I like, buy inner connects, etc. I asked myself is this fun or a pain in the ass?  I prefer fun. I will have what I want, when it's built...no rush. From here on out, no matter what it takes - i'm going back to judging for myself and being quite content that the best engineers in the world are kicking out some really amazing equipment. 

Mike, at least your wife's favorite album is well recorded. Too bad Genesis albums until Trick of the Tail are so poorly recorded. Lamb and Selling England By The Pound are er ah tough on anything but the MBLs played thru a LINN Klimax DS and then something just happens...

FWIW - I know a little about a few things and i'm more amazed you can keep your thoughts well organized and well articulated while engineering...

It is time for a cigar. 

- MP

Jan 27, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #319 of 14,566

Baldr said:

I have also written elsewhere that I rely on narrative and observational information to form a hypothesis. This is precisely how detectives solve murder cases. If experiments verify, then a hypothesis becomes scientific. Therefore I freely admit I rely on observational and narrative constructs in my engineering. Not to do so places any scientific progress in peril. As I have written before, my wife's favorite album of all time is Supertramp's Crime of the Century, so much so that she wants parts of it played at her funeral. When I play it with a multibit Bifrost and Yggy, she repeatedly cries. When I play it to her on a variety of DS DACs, she does not. She has no dog in any fight, and does not give a Schiit what DAC she is listening to. There are many other similar stories. I am investigating them as does a murder detective at the expense of a lot of time. More may be revealed. I also freely admit that (although I do not know all of the reasons why – still working on it) that while practicing my hobby of listening to music in a relaxed manner I prefer multi-bit. That is for me only. You may judge me delusional, agree, or like DS. All that is none of my business.

"Trust, but verify"
RONALD REAGAN

So I wasn't looking for this week to be all that interesting considering lots of tedious ********. Suddenly, my mind wandered to my office stereo.  I decided I wanted a new and better DAC and I wanted to go balanced like my "stereo system". I began to think back on driving to Leesburg, VA in the 1980s to see Sheffield Edwards and listen to systems throughout his house.  That was an entirely different experience than how I built my desktop stereo.  My Bifrost Multibit is just now coming into it's own as they say. My LYR-2 is a reasonable amp and very reasonable for the money. All this was purchased from reviews. I never heard one piece before buying them.  (The 15 day listening period is excellent- but unnecessary for me) I was just about geared up to buy a Yggy this week.  Kind of excited - I spoke with a great friend on Monday who works for PASS Labs now and discussed single ended vs balanced. I want a balanced system because it's better I said - He opened my eyes...single ended is FINE! Not to mention by the time I update my cables to what I like, buy inner connects, etc. I asked myself is this fun or a pain in the ass?  I prefer fun. I will have what I want, when it's built...no rush. From here on out, no matter what it takes - i'm going back to judging for myself and being quite content that the best engineers in the world are kicking out some really amazing equipment. 

Mike, at least your wife's favorite album is well recorded. Too bad Genesis albums until Trick of the Tail are so poorly recorded. Lamb and Selling England By The Pound are er ah tough on anything but the MBLs played thru a LINN Klimax DS and then something just happens...

FWIW - I know a little about a few things and i'm more amazed you can keep your thoughts well organized and well articulated while engineering...

It is time for a cigar. 

- MP

Foxtrot and Nursery Crime  are good by me even though the recording is a little rough :)

Jan 28, 2016 at 8:16 AM Post #320 of 14,566
Quote:macon
 I was just about geared up to buy a Yggy this week.

GET THE YGGY..........  
wink_face.gif

Jan 29, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #321 of 14,566
I hate taking the other side of this particular argument as it's not where my sympathies lie, but if we're leaning towards judging what we like based on observation and visceral reaction should we completely write off the use of what is really just another tool?  What if we like the Auto Tune or Melodyne enhanced versions of a musical performance better than the non-enhanced version?

It happens all the time with movies where the post production editing changes the whole film to the point that the actors disavow it; it also happens where the editing "saves" the film.  Is the use of these technology tools really so different?  

I can understand saying you like the non-enhanced music better, or that you have more respect for the artists that eschew using it, but to be consistent to what's being said I think you have to at least acknowledge the possibility that these tools could be used to make the music better...

I suspect that the vast majority of us will prefer the non-enhanced music for all the reasons stated, but I see how I can write off music simply because these tools were used.

Jan 29, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #322 of 14,566
With the advent of YouTube, whereby artists record live performances, it seems to me that those wanting "raw" are served (pun intended.)

There are also record-label produced live-performance recordings and sometimes studio-live recordings.

To me, these are the hallmarks of the artist's ability.

Jan 29, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #323 of 14,566
With the advent of YouTube, whereby artists record live performances, it seems to me that those wanting "raw" are served (pun intended.)

There are also record-label produced live-performance recordings and sometimes studio-live recordings.

Any good live albums that anyone would recommend.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Jan 29, 2016 at 8:03 PM Post #324 of 14,566

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

If you like Nils Lofgren check out his 1997 recording "Acoustic Live" .

Jan 29, 2016 at 8:31 PM Post #326 of 14,566
  I hate taking the other side of this particular argument as it's not where my sympathies lie, but if we're leaning towards judging what we like based on observation and visceral reaction should we completely write off the use of what is really just another tool?  What if we like the Auto Tune or Melodyne enhanced versions of a musical performance better than the non-enhanced version?

It happens all the time with movies where the post production editing changes the whole film to the point that the actors disavow it; it also happens where the editing "saves" the film.  Is the use of these technology tools really so different?  

I can understand saying you like the non-enhanced music better, or that you have more respect for the artists that eschew using it, but to be consistent to what's being said I think you have to at least acknowledge the possibility that these tools could be used to make the music better...

I suspect that the vast majority of us will prefer the non-enhanced music for all the reasons stated, but I see how I can write off music simply because these tools were used.

I like both sides of a discussion.

Personally, when I think of music, the first-take w/o any editing comes to mind.  Maybe the 2nd take because the drummer dropped a stick or the bass player sneezed.  I don't think of real music as electronically corrected to the perfect pitch or tempo.  To me, real music will always have imperfections and they add to the character of it.  I can easily do perfect pitch in Garage Band on my Mac. Anybody can.  Real musicians are much more talented and interesting.

Still, I understand how electronic effects can be used to improve the SQ.  For example, I really enjoy the Daft Punk album Random Access Memories.  They use special effects to make the music sound cool.  They're not trying to cover anything up - that to me is the difference.

As always, just IMHO.

Prost,
RCB

Jan 29, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #329 of 14,566
I agree with Little Feat!
Jazz - "Live At The Pawnshop" Various artists
- Niel Diamond "Hot Summer Night"
- Pink Floyd - "Pulse"
- Porcupine Tree - "Coma Devine"
Where to end?

+1  Jazz at the Pawnshop is a killer live album.

Try this one, too...

Allman Brothers Live at Fillmore East
Mr. Duane Allman just kills the guitar...

In the top 5 of best guitar players ever...

Jan 30, 2016 at 12:15 AM Post #330 of 14,566

I really enjoy listening to Return of the Jazz Communicators.  That's a Smoke Sessions album many of which are reported to be quite good.

Personally, in terms of the autotune/melodyne thing adding to the music, no, not for me.  I like my music to be made with instruments, not computers.  Synthesizers get a pass, obviously :wink:  Just a personal taste thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back