What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Apr 15, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #2,821 of 14,566
Originally Posted by castleofargh 
  when I try to relax with music at 150db spl in my anechoic chamber with my ACME Corp transducers of less than 0.0000063% distortions at all frequencies, it really bothers me to know my DAC doesn't do real 24bit.

It is obvious that you need to upgrade to a 32 bit D/A converter with cryogenically cooled resistor ladder networks, timing from an on-board cesium clock synchronized to the NITS master, and all powered by 128 Li-ion battery cells contained within their own building. The solid silver interconnect bus bars are extra, depending upon your facility configuration.

beerchug.gif

That should do it.

LOL

Apr 15, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #2,822 of 14,566
  when I try to relax with music at 150db spl in my anechoic chamber with my ACME Corp transducers of less than 0.0000063% distortions at all frequencies, it really bothers me to know my DAC doesn't do real 24bit.

Which DAC would that be?  The Mimby?

And, really, how can I be expected to make sonic weaponry ala Dune with a measly 20b?!  

Apr 15, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #2,823 of 14,566

Which DAC would that be?  The Mimby?

And, really, how can I be expected to make sonic weaponry ala Dune with a measly 20b?!  

You'll need a Gumby for that, sonic weaponry requires a balanced connection from the DAC.

Apr 15, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #2,825 of 14,566
Mike,

I came across this article yesterday:

https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/intersample-overs-in-cd-recordings

I'm wondering if you agree with the problem description, and if the oversampling filter you've created for your multibit products has some analogous solution?

Regards,
Alan Roberts

Apr 15, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #2,826 of 14,566
Tristan--start with 1966 Bohm and studio kleiber. Then 1952 furtwangler and Karajan. NOT the studio Karajan. 1936 Reiner is optional, ditto 1933 Leider/Melchior fragments from the met.

Meistersinger-- Karajan studio to start. Then 1943 Furtwangler. Janowski is optional.

Parsifal -- 1953 Krauss lacks stereo sound but is so good I might skip the later efforts. Of those, Levine makes me smile the most.

I'd also recommend Norma (1954 Callas) both the 1953 audio and 1955 callas traviatas, currentzis's da ponte trilogy...

Google greatest ring cycle to see my survey of the greatest ring cycles. Solti just scratches the surface.

Apr 15, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #2,827 of 14,566
  Mike,

https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/intersample-overs-in-cd-recordings

I'm wondering if you agree with the problem description, and if the oversampling filter you've created for your multibit products has some analogous solution?

Regards,
Alan Roberts

The article is referencing delta-sigma DAC chips, specifically the ESS Sabre DAC chip.

Apr 15, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #2,830 of 14,566
Statim finis!

I don't think so.

Curre ad montana cum musicorum aures tuae! 
smily_headphones1.gif

That's what we al do here every day, except for running at the mountains perhaps.

VITAE VIX ANTE PAX OBITUS

Heheh. As a Cali native,  since we are ingrained with an apocalyptic ever ready mindset prepping for The Big One, "head for the hills"  is a popular motto. Not sure where you are in the Netherlands but I'd guess rising sea levels would be more the worry. :) I hear central Amsterdam is safe but even a 1 meter rise and lots of the low countries will be in deep schiit!

I have my solar panel kit ready to power my Schiit if ragnarok ever comes, making like Nero while LA scrambles. 

BTW, I read your tagline as "barely alive before the death of peace" is that correct? My old Latin teacher Sister Mary Rose would be disappointed in me if I got it wrong :)

Apr 15, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #2,831 of 14,566
Apr 15, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #2,834 of 14,566
Sir Michael,
Congratulations on the "Absolutely" stellar review of the Yggy by Robert Hurley of The Obsolete Sound. But with a rag named that, you already knew he was going to give you a great one!!!!

You are going to get Product of the Year. Nobody can touch your performance/cost=value ratio. Well played sir!!!

Apr 15, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #2,835 of 14,566
  Mike,

Regards,
Alan Roberts

intersample clipping can always happen, but it's usually not the big bad monster some make it to be. for starters, you need a recording that's stuck real close to 0db, a competent sound engineer who's not forced to do garbage by some fool ordering him around, will leave a little headroom.  in my experience it's more often audible with lossy formats where some converters don't bother with that possibility and the result can be a longer/bigger clipping of the signal.
anyway to make a long explanation short, if you fear intersample clipping with any format and don't know how to check if you have some or how to deal with the problem files, just take your digital volume down by about 3db and forget about it.
intersample clipping problem, almost totally solved in almost all situations! now you can complain that you lost so called bit perfect. but between inaudible noise from rounding of the values with great accuracy, and potential clipping of the loudest signal in the song, I know which one I want to get rid of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back